The Fall of Maelroth v1.0

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Rubilax

The Fall of Maelroth v1.0

Post by Rubilax »

The map has been playtested and all should work just fine. Now for difficulty tweaks and item placement.

Hi everyone.

I have been working on a map periodically for well over a year now. It is still a work in progress, but at this point I'm working item placements and general polish. Note that item placement still needs improvements. I want to address it all through full playtesting.

If you have played the Tomb of Gandar from LoG 1, this map will be very similar in ways. However, it is a very different experience from the first, with a longer campaign and better written lore. As you play through, note any issues or suggestions that you have, and feel free to post them here to help me improve the map. I don't have many playtesters of my own (who haven't already played several times), so anyone who can take a fresh look would do me a big favor. Thanks for your interest in my map, I hope you enjoy it.

From my perspective, this is a relatively short map. It takes me 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get to the end without using secret rooms for better equipment.

STORY
Maelroth, a city well-known for its expansive trade tunnels located directly underneath it experiences a gruesome tragedy. Hearing about what unfolded and the unanswered questions, you gather some fellow adventurers to sail north and discover Maelroth's unfortunate fate.

FEATURES
- Antagonist who taunts you through your journey.
- Inventive puzzles (note this is based on feedback, I cannot search every dungeon made to see if mine are unique).
- An arena game mode where strategy is used to change the environment. I am currently developing a stand-alone version with expanded features.
- An interesting final boss battle.
- Detailed environments driven by the lore of the map.
- Controlled "cinematics" that enhance the lore and map.
- A secret level that can be revealed after finishing the map, adding a character and story.

DOWNLOADS
Steam Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =329680708
Or use Steam Downloader if you do not use Steam: http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/
Last edited by Rubilax on Thu May 21, 2015 9:29 am, edited 10 times in total.
Zo Kath Ra

Re: The Fall of Maelroth

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Rubilax wrote:DOWNLOADS
Steam Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =329680708
Mediafire for non-Steam users: https://www.mediafire.com/?cpxx1o257l7mdtp
Or you can download it with http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/
marten_1992

Post by marten_1992 »

that sounds nice :)
but I am just not able to leave the first tunnel
ve been hitting that rusted gate for 5 min but no effect
a very very small hint would be nice
bregdan anweald gafeluec ...
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Rubilax, How's it going?

I too would like to know how to get through. I walked around for about 10 minutes in an attempt to find a weapon or a switch.
SpoilerShow
After that, I gave up and had to spawn a stick to break through the gate.
Once through I was faced with enemies that were difficult to defeat. However, the mod does seem well made, with some nice scripting.
Personally I found the mod to be interesting, but a bit extreme in a short amount of time.
SpoilerShow
After being smashed backwards by this forest ogre, the gate shut and I was pushed along a linear path where several wizards smashed me. I only escaped with a single hit left to face several skeleton enemies where I died. Perhaps I should have started with a higher-level party instead of naked ones.

I'd like to play it, but without cheating I couldn't get past the first gate, nor could I survive afterwards. Any hints would be great!
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
marten_1992

Post by marten_1992 »

Slayer82 is right !
I had to do the - spawn a branch - thing too
the rats later are more or less manageable, but the boss in the second room and the ogre...
and still no weapon in sight
is this supposed to be a run run run mod ? ;)

edit: after the first flight of stairs it is much better balanced
the boulder blocking the way to the armory is not solid, you can walk in but not
out again on the other side
Rubilax

Post by Rubilax »

Thanks for the quick tests guys. Looks like I was unaware of a few problems.
marten_1992 wrote:that sounds nice :)
but I am just not able to leave the first tunnel
ve been hitting that rusted gate for 5 min but no effect
a very very small hint would be nice
Hm, maybe the devs only coded branches to work on the gate. That sucks, I may have to remove it then. The idea was to allow any weapon to break it.
Slayer82 wrote:Rubilax, How's it going?

I too would like to know how to get through. I walked around for about 10 minutes in an attempt to find a weapon or a switch.
SpoilerShow
After that, I gave up and had to spawn a stick to break through the gate.
Once through I was faced with enemies that were difficult to defeat. However, the mod does seem well made, with some nice scripting.
Personally I found the mod to be interesting, but a bit extreme in a short amount of time.
SpoilerShow
After being smashed backwards by this forest ogre, the gate shut and I was pushed along a linear path where several wizards smashed me. I only escaped with a single hit left to face several skeleton enemies where I died. Perhaps I should have started with a higher-level party instead of naked ones.

I'd like to play it, but without cheating I couldn't get past the first gate, nor could I survive afterwards. Any hints would be great!
It's going great. Very happy the project is nearing completion. As I mentioned above, this is an oversight. I will investigate other options, thanks for bringing this to my attention. The mod is meant to be challenging, but the lack of items at the time does not progress the party as you normally would.
SpoilerShow
Also, the ogre and wizard within the Void are both "cinematics". These have gone through extensive testing, I'm trying to place the player under pressure while keeping them alive. With the ogre, the intention is to just keep running. He's a recurring enemy that will be placed in for another battle soon. A little oversight there. Also, I never had skeletons jump me right after the wizard, so I will adjust these to cut a bit more slack. You are meant to be hurt, maybe killed by the wizard if you like catching spells.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll work on this again soon.
marten_1992

Post by marten_1992 »

one more question
the two iron keys are supposed to open the door with the two locks ?
Rubilax

Post by Rubilax »

If you're mentioning the one in the beginning of the city then yes. Also I just updated the mod with the feedback. Should be fixed for now, I'll look more into it when I can.
marten_1992

Post by marten_1992 »

I mean that door, yes
but only 1 key fits in a lock, the second does not and the door
does not open !
Rubilax

Post by Rubilax »

marten_1992 wrote:I mean that door, yes
but only 1 key fits in a lock, the second does not and the door
does not open !
Oh crud. I rushed copying that area down from the original. If you can cheat through the door, go for it.