Reverse engineering (was:Temporary modding) thread

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
ymgve

Re: Reverse engineering (was:Temporary modding) thread

Post by ymgve »

Sol_HSA wrote:I'll wait for a dev to answer to that. My guess would be "yes".
While you talk to the devs, could you also ask them to do this?
- enable the developer console properly in the next release of the game
- tell us how to create our own "dungeon" so it shows up in the dungeon selection screen
- release official source files for some of the levels so people can see how things work
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

ymgve wrote:
Sol_HSA wrote:I'll wait for a dev to answer to that. My guess would be "yes".
While you talk to the devs, could you also ask them to do this?
What makes you think I talk to the devs more than you do? =) Well, I might, but not as much as you'd think. Anyway, here's my guessimates for your checklist:
ymgve wrote:- enable the developer console properly in the next release of the game
I doubt it - if they do, it will probably be some command line option or some other "less obvious" way not to confuse the normal players.
ymgve wrote:- tell us how to create our own "dungeon" so it shows up in the dungeon selection screen
I think the control is just a placeholder for now, and there's no way to do this yet.
ymgve wrote:- release official source files for some of the levels so people can see how things work
Again, I doubt it. If I were them, I'd make some example level that's separate from the game, though. But, again, that's up to them.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
antti

Post by antti »

UncleSporky wrote: (I actually have no idea whether this would work in-game or not...)

Is it ok to post that? :)
Yup, posting this is fine by us.
ymgve wrote: - enable the developer console properly in the next release of the game
- tell us how to create our own "dungeon" so it shows up in the dungeon selection screen
- release official source files for some of the levels so people can see how things work
All of these are somewhat tied to the modding/level editing capabilities that we are working on (although bug fixes and such have taken priority now but we'll get back to these soon). What I'm saying is that these issues will be addressed but what exact shape or form they will take remains to be seen.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

Thanks for taking the time to clarify, and thanks for the work you have already put into all of this, and for future support. :)
seebs

Post by seebs »

I would be totally happy for quite a while if the developer console were just made enableable in some reasonably straightforward way. Like, say, manual edits of grimrock.cfg.

BTW, super props to the devs for putting grimrock.cfg and the save files in user directory. Could that directory also be in the search path for dofile()? I would love to be able to abuse things without needing to modify the game directory at all. :)
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

This probably isn't the thread to talk about the dev console, but I imagine it's disabled for good reasons.

I don't know all the possible limitations and restrictions set by Steam, but currently, adding the console as described in this thread would let you cheat to get the Steam achievements. I don't know if Valve cares about that sort of thing.

For example, you could spawn all the keys needed to clear the first level in record time for that achievement, or spawn hundreds of skill books to complete hard mode easily.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

UncleSporky wrote:I don't know all the possible limitations and restrictions set by Steam, but currently, adding the console as described in this thread would let you cheat to get the Steam achievements. I don't know if Valve cares about that sort of thing.

For example, you could spawn all the keys needed to clear the first level in record time for that achievement, or spawn hundreds of skill books to complete hard mode easily.
I don't think Valve cares about those things at all. And you'd probably have to have a thousand people do this to affect the stats at this point. =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
petri

Post by petri »

Yes, it's ok to distribute level files you have written yourselves. We're infact planning to document the api and create a tool that will compile level files into a single dat file.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

petri wrote:Yes, it's ok to distribute level files you have written yourselves. We're infact planning to document the api and create a tool that will compile level files into a single dat file.
\o/
Depili

Post by Depili »

Well, it shouldn't be to hard to just disable all achievements the moment dev console is used if that is an issue.