[WIP] Isle of Shalindra [ALPHA TEST 20%]

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Jhaelen

Re: [WIP] Isle of Shalindra [ALPHA-TEST 0%]

Post by Jhaelen »

Drakkan wrote:
Jhaelen wrote:Ok so yesterday my OneDrive did a weird thing, and I lost a part of my mod sources. I'm trying to retrieve it, but I'm not confident... In any way, the memory issue is boring me to death so it's possible that I start a new mod (a smaller one, 10 levels at max, with an iterative story that could lead to one or more sequels).
oh crap. I was looking forward this mod, even if playing it on lower texture :/ still I hope you will somehow restore it and eventually finish it.
Thanks... But to be honest if I've to rewrite some of my files to rebuild this mod, I'm probably going to give up because of this memory shit. I've already spent too much hours for a thing that isn't really enjoyable : memory crashes every ten minutes... and I cannot clean up the mod more than I already did. I already suppressed lots of models / textures and it is yet not enough.
marten_1992

Re: [WIP] Isle of Shalindra [ON HOLD]

Post by marten_1992 »

o my o my :shock:
i was expecting the go for the beta test these days
as Drakkan already said I also do hope you manage somehow to get back to your mod
I was really looking forward to it !
you did not by chance make a second backup somewhere on a local harddisk !?
I wish you lots of luck in reviving this mod after having spent so much time on it

best wishes ;) ;) ;)
bregdan anweald gafeluec ...
Jhaelen

Post by Jhaelen »

In fact I had a second backup on my laptop, but I don't know how (I think it has to be my fault, the chair - keyboard interface as we said) my OneDrive fucked up my files on my two computers. I was able to retrieve a portion of the files on the OneDrive recycle bin, but not all of it.

I'm thinking now how to take the best part of all this, because I want to go on and produce a mod ;). But obviously it will take some time...
minmay

Re: [WIP] Isle of Shalindra [CREATION 91%]

Post by minmay »

Jhaelen wrote:Edit : problem solved, I deleted three levels that I have to rework anyway because I was not satisfied with the result. These three levels used the Asian Tileset, and by removing it I'm now way under the "out of memory" error. I'm now looking to somehow merge the three remaining levels in the 40 others in order to avoid this fu***ng error to pop up again.
Number of levels has essentially no bearing on memory usage. Textures are by far the biggest thing to worry about, along with the memory balloon when saving. When the game is saved, every object has to be serialized. Objects with minimalSaveState set to true have only their name, id, x, y, facing, elevation, and level saved, so they are not too expensive to save. But objects without minimalSaveState have that, plus their world position/rotation, plus every property of all of their components saved, so if you are forgetting to put minimalSaveState on objects that are used a lot such as walls, you will run into horrible saving performance and high memory usage.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Jhaelen

Post by Jhaelen »

Yes I red about this minimalSaveState and I checked all my custom assets. I found one without, and I corrected the problem, with an effect on RAM used. But for the others, the minimalSaveState is correctly set to "true". And my mod (exported with cinematics) is only 70 mb, so I don't have so much new things in it.

In any case, thanks for your precisions, it's always welcome to have help on this matter ;).
minmay

Post by minmay »

Jhaelen wrote:And my mod (exported with cinematics) is only 70 mb, so I don't have so much new things in it.
This isn't the whole story, though. The textures, models, etc. you load from the standard assets will also have an effect. If you are importing all of the standard materials, and making a large mod on top of that, it's not surprising that you are running into memory problems. Surely you do not need to use every standard monster and tileset.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Jhaelen

Re: [WIP] Isle of Shalindra [ALPHA TEST 10%]

Post by Jhaelen »

Ok so I rebuilt my mod with lots of optimisation. It seems to be playable without crash but only in medium textures setting. I start again my playthrough debug test run.

Edit : today I manage to achieve a thing I wanted to do for a long time : a spellbook. So now, to cast a spell, a champion needs to have on hand a spellbook containing the scroll of the spell he wants to cast. The spellbook can contains 16 spell scrolls (and only spell scrolls).
marten_1992

Re: [WIP] Isle of Shalindra [ALPHA TEST 20%]

Post by marten_1992 »

there has been no post for quite some time now
is this project still alive ?
did you manage to recover ur lost data ??
hope so ;)
bregdan anweald gafeluec ...
Jhaelen

Post by Jhaelen »

Thanks for your interest ! I managed to recover only a part of the data, but the project is still alive. As every cloud has a silver lining (don't know if I used this expression correctly), I'm using this not-really-wanted reboot to correct some heavy mistakes I made : the mod will have less levels (but each level will be more dense than before), less props (but I hope better used), all this in order to avoid the memory problem.

I think I will create a new post for this "new" mod because it will be slightly different than "Isle of Shalindra".
Badgert

Post by Badgert »

Could you put somewhere at least an alpha version? I'd love to get acquainted with these Projects.