Tips for Ratling Boss?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
gambit37

Tips for Ratling Boss?

Post by gambit37 »

I don't know if my champions are too weak, but I can't seem to bump-off the Ratling boss and his henchmen posse. There's not enough space for me to move around and kill the henchmen before dealing with the boss, so my team are constantly trapped on all sides and subsequently killed. I've tried this area many times and am ready to give up in frustration. :cry: :x

Any tips on how to clear this bit? What are Ratling's critical hit weakness?
minmay

Re: Tips for Ratling Boss?

Post by minmay »

Cast invisibility before stepping on the pressure plate, then walk to one of the brass keys on the ground and use it to unlock the exit.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

If case Invisibility is not available, some good old frost bombs ease him a lot.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

Ah great, I'll try that thanks. I've never thought to use Invisibility, I assumed it was basically useless (I'm an old Dungeon Master fan and it was a rubbish spell there!)
Jirodyne

Post by Jirodyne »

You could also go into the room to Aggro them, then go back into the hallway and face tank them all one on one easily like I did... Wasn't that complicated or hard.
minmay

Post by minmay »

gambit37 wrote:Ah great, I'll try that thanks. I've never thought to use Invisibility, I assumed it was basically useless (I'm an old Dungeon Master fan and it was a rubbish spell there!)
Yep, invisibility in Grimrock 2, as long as you don't stand still for a long time, pretty much makes you invincible to attacks from anything that doesn't have see invisible - and very few monsters have see invisible (mostly just elementals). Sometimes they'll even walk right next to you and yet not attack. Sure, attacking breaks it, but you can just immediately cast it again and the monsters will immediately go back to ignoring you. Balance-wise, it's pretty nuts.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Jirodyne wrote:You could also go into the room to Aggro them, then go back into the hallway and face tank them all one on one easily like I did... Wasn't that complicated or hard.
This is what I had ended up doing, because I didn't have invisibility. It's still a tough fight. Especially if you get backed into that corner and can't move.

The other thing to do is kill all the little Ratlings around, hit, move, hit move, etc - and then just focus on the Ratling boss. If you have bombs, this is going to be the best option.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
PaladinVito

Post by PaladinVito »

The forcefield spell did wonders for me in this fight. Right as you go in, the boss is busy doing an intro animation. If you run up to him with the forcefield spell ready, you can trap the boss and clear the little guys pretty easily. Just be sure to keep an eye on him and recast it as necessary.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I used Invisibility, and cleared out the room without alerting the Boss... Actually that should be treated as a bug IMO. Afterwards, I killed the boss with backstabs, and the ratling never scored a hit. :shock:
rons

Post by rons »

I went toe to toe with the big boss, casting 8 ice bombs i had to keep him still while my party kept on smashing. After that i died once and used a crystal to bring my party back up, i found that it was worth using in such a fight.