Island of Varmuth (COMPLETE DEMO) (Last Update: 10/25/2014)

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
KadoDragon

Island of Varmuth (COMPLETE DEMO) (Last Update: 10/25/2014)

Post by KadoDragon »

UPDATE (10/25/2014)
I'm pretty happy with where this demo is at right now. There is only one bug that I know of that I am working to remedy. In the forest, there are spots where you can walk through the trees. While test playing I found that at times I could walk through them, but at other times I could not. I have no idea what's causing this bug. But if I figure it out, I will do one last update. For people who do wish to see how the development of this dungeon is going, I shall post images of upcoming areas and things like that. As a matter of fact, here are some images to get you started.

Rogue's Field Rogue's Field Again
The Pit

I
Am
The
Creator

UPDATE (10/24/2014)
- The life bar in the Mummy Horde battle now functions as it should.

UPDATE (10/22/2014)
- Not much has changed, except now every aspect of the demo has text and voice narration.

UPDATE (10/21/2014/9:41PM Eastern -5:00)
- Starting beach has been renamed to Warrior's Start
- Voice narration has been added to the text narration at the treasure chest on Warrior's Start voice by yours truly with some slight pitch alteration. No other voice narration has been added yet.
- Mummies in the Mummy Horde battle have all had their HP reduced to 40. This screws with the health bar, which is beyond my control at the moment.
- West and North Varmuth Forest have had an overhaul. Nothing that was there has been changed. However, they have gotten plenty of off-trails to give it a more twisty-turny feeling. Good luck compulsive map fillers (Don't worry, I'm right there with you). Plenty of items have been scattered about the forests such as a much needed sack and a much needed mortar. The forests have also been given some decoration such as statues and grass. North Varmuth Forest also now has monsters.
- A Healing Crystal has been added to North Forest Dungeon
- Clothing has been scattered about the forests and dungeons so you have a little more protection than what was previously given.
- Secrets have been added to the dungeons that contribute to finding and completing the secret extra dungeon, Tower of Magi. ;) (Tower of Magi is not accessible yet. You wont even see it.)

UPDATE (10/21/2014)
- My dumbass brain put the starting position at the mummy battle....... It is now in the proper position on the beach.
- Treasure chest on the beach at the beginning that explains why you don't start with any supplies.
- Beginning to add narration text to the game. You can see it when you remove the note from the chest on the beach and when you leave the beach.
- Added the area that is meant to be your goal on the beach. If you do look around there, keep in mind that the area is subject to heavy change so you should not save there.

UPDATE (10/20/2014)
- Figured out how to make boss battles. The boring Warg fight in the Iron Mines now considered a mini boss called Warg Pack.
- The Level 3 group of mummies in the North Forest Dungeon is now replaced with 15 level 1 mummies and considered a boss fight called Mummy Horde. Yes. You read that right. 15 level 1 mummies.
- Music has been quieted down. I noticed I was running it at 10% music volume. I apologize for any ears I may have blasted away.

MAP
I now have a map of what I want to be on the surface of the island so far which can be found HERE. I don't care if you use it as a map while playing. Navigation on the surface is not meant to be part of the challenge.

I did some tinkering with the first game's dungeon editor but never released anything. I have a sort of ambitious project with the second game's dungeon editor called The Island of Varmuth. Here is the module description.

Isle of Varmuth or better known as The Isle of Trials. Very few have ever returned from the island alive. It is said that if you brave what is there and return with a very specific object, you will have proven yourself a true warrior. Inquiring about the object that is supposed to be found, you are only told "You will know it when you see it." You hire a boat to take you to the Isle of Trials. Ahead, you can see an island nearly covered in forest. Beneath it is a series of tunnels. This is your true test. The boat drops you off at the island's edge. You wade through the water and walk onto the beach where many feet have stood before. But only very few have returned from.

This module is semi-open world. By that I mean the entire outdoor surface area is open and you can go wherever you want, whenever you want and go into the dungeons that populate the underground catacombs. Think of it like the original Legend of Zelda. However, this demo does not have the open world aspect yet, but you can see where it is going. If you play it and find any signs blocking a path that read, "Area Ahead Under Construction" then obviously you can't go that way.

NOTE: Before you get to the download link, I know some people might complain if I don't say it now. Music tracks are from Etrian Odyssey Untold, which this is slightly inspired by.

DOWNLOAD It is a zipped file, so you will need something like 7zip to extract it.

Good luck, have fun and keep your eyes peeled for hidden paths in the forest ;)
Last edited by KadoDragon on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
Slasher20

Re: Island of Varmuth (DEMO) (Last Update: 10/20/2014)

Post by Slasher20 »

Dude, i dont know if its intended, but you starts us with 0 supplies, againts 15 undeads in a dark room were you cant see 2 square in front of you. If youre going for a challange map, youre doing it wrong, theres a fine line between challanging and just flat out retarded unfair. At least give us a rock or something, geezus.
KadoDragon

Re: Island of Varmuth (DEMO) (Last Update: 10/20/2014)

Post by KadoDragon »

Slasher20 wrote:Dude, i dont know if its intended, but you starts us with 0 supplies, againts 15 undeads in a dark room were you cant see 2 square in front of you. If youre going for a challange map, youre doing it wrong, theres a fine line between challanging and just flat out retarded unfair. At least give us a rock or something, geezus.
Umm... Whoops! Hold on. I think I have the player starting in the wrong area! You're supposed to start on a beach.

Edit: Yes. My bad. I had the starting position in the wrong place. Even so, I may be reducing the amount of mummies anyways in a future update.
Ichthyic

Re: Island of Varmuth (DEMO) (Last Update: 10/21/2014)

Post by Ichthyic »

apparently as the only person actually working to create a custom map at this point... kudos!

will keep an eye on this thread to see how it goes.
sapientCrow

Re: Island of Varmuth (DEMO) (Last Update: 10/21/2014/9:41PM

Post by sapientCrow »

awesome a new adventure in the mix!
looking forward to it.
there is something about LOG and all its mods that have me feeling so immersed.
always want more!
SnowyOwl47

Post by SnowyOwl47 »

I love dis dungeon!

btw you can take your image addresses from your steam project and post then with the image thing thats onto with all the B i U etc
KadoDragon

Post by KadoDragon »

SnowyOwl47 wrote:I love dis dungeon!

btw you can take your image addresses from your steam project and post then with the image thing thats onto with all the B i U etc
You lost me at steam...
SnowyOwl47

Post by SnowyOwl47 »

Ichthyic wrote:apparently as the only person actually working to create a custom map at this point... kudos!

But I made my map before him and its not a demo D:
KadoDragon

Post by KadoDragon »

SnowyOwl47 wrote:
Ichthyic wrote:apparently as the only person actually working to create a custom map at this point... kudos!

But I made my map before him and its not a demo D:
Does it matter who did what first?
francisco de gamz

Re: Island of Varmuth (DEMO) (Last Update: 10/22/2014/)

Post by francisco de gamz »

The music in the forest is beautiful what is it?