LoG 2 very poor performance...

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
sarvrin

LoG 2 very poor performance...

Post by sarvrin »

Greetings!

I am writing to report a serious framerate issue with LoG2 on a quite beefy laptop. The framerate is very variable and in many places it goes down to as low as 19. I was unable to play the game any more since I entered "Forgotten River" level. There, framerate is going below 10 leaving the game unplayable. What is more, playing around with the game settings has no effect on the performance. SSAO has little or no effect. Shadows, the same. Even changing the resolution doesn't make the game run smoother.

Now my specs:
Win 8.1
Gforce GTX 765M - 2GB DDR5 memory
8 GB ram 1.600 MHZ
Intel Core i7-4710MQ

Newest drivers.
Optimus is set to run all things on the dedicated card.
There is absolutely nothing hindering laptop's performance in the background.

Any ideas how to make the game run? Any ini files I could edit?
JohnWordsworth

Re: LoG 2 very poor performance...

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Are you 100% certain that LOG2 is running on your dedicated GPU? It sounds like it's running on the iGPU from what you're saying. Even if you have the global setting to use the GPU, I would try adding the Grimrock2.exe file explicitly to the application list (if it doesn't appear in the "recently loaded" list) and select the dedicated GPU.

You can check that it's using the GPU using the system tray tool. Although, I forget exactly where that is enabled at the moment!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
sarvrin

Post by sarvrin »

I tripple checked. It runs on the dedicated GPU. I even switched it manually :/.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Forgotten River is a very demanding area for both GPU and CPU. Yet it should not go that low with that an GTX 765M.

Is any kind of AntiAliasing or extensive filtering set active inside your nvidia driver?
sarvrin

Post by sarvrin »

It is all set to "application controlled". I did not fiddle with those at all. I experimented with more in-game settings. Seems like literally nothing helps :D

The game acts weird the whole time. One tile I am at 60, on the other when facing a wall I go down to 25. This applies to all areas. It either hates my GPU, which might be the case since mobile GPU are stressful to use, or the engine doesn't handle open spaces very well on a mobile GPU.

I also checked how much power the game is using. GPU is utilized in 100%. I have to check the CPU though.
Last edited by sarvrin on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

sarvrin wrote:It is all set to "application controlled". I did not fiddle with those at all. I experimented with more in-game settings. Seems like literally nothing helps :D

The game acts weird the whole time. One tile I am at 60, on the other when facing a wall I go down to 25. This applies to all areas. It either hates my GPU, which might be the case since mobile GPU are stressful to use.

I also checked how much power the game is using. GPU is utilized in 100%. I have to check the CPU though.
check also the GPU temperature (GPU-Z), maybe the GPU already periodically "throttles" down the clock to reduce the (over-)heat... consider then reducing the frame rate limiter to somethign significnt lower then the current 120FPS to keep the temeprature in a reasonable range...like 40FPS.
sarvrin

Post by sarvrin »

Just did. On 100% GPU load the temperatures are at 60C constantly. Come on, my baby keeps it cool with Crysis 2 on ultra :D
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I'm running the game at a stable 60 FPS, but there's been a couple of spots where for some reason it dropped to 30ish. One was in an unremarkable dungeon corridor. Strange! But there's only been 2 or 3 of these occurrences for me so far.
sarvrin

Post by sarvrin »

badhabit wrote:
sarvrin wrote:It is all set to "application controlled". I did not fiddle with those at all. I experimented with more in-game settings. Seems like literally nothing helps :D

The game acts weird the whole time. One tile I am at 60, on the other when facing a wall I go down to 25. This applies to all areas. It either hates my GPU, which might be the case since mobile GPU are stressful to use.

check also the GPU temperature (GPU-Z), maybe the GPU already periodically "throttles" down the clock to reduce the (over-)heat... consider then reducing the frame rate limiter to somethign significnt lower then the current 120FPS to keep the temeprature in a reasonable range...like 40FPS.
Could you please enlight me on this frame limit? How do I do that? I didn't see any options :/
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

sarvrin wrote:
badhabit wrote:

Could you please enlight me on this frame limit? How do I do that? I didn't see any options :/
I'm currently not in front of my PC with LOG2, so... it should be an parameter in the "\Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock 2\grimrock.cfg" (search your pc for grimrock.cfg)

add a parameter in the CFG file with a text editor (if not existing) "maxFrameRate = 40" and for additional infos, like framerate and position, "debugInfo = true"
Last edited by badhabit on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.