I lost a Toorum's note. Will the game become unplayable now?

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
ZeSjob

I lost a Toorum's note. Will the game become unplayable now?

Post by ZeSjob »

Before I go any further in the game, I need to ask this: Do I also have to hoard all of Toorum's notes, so that the game doesn't become unplayable somewhere in the later levels?

The reason I am asking that is this:

On Level 4: Archives, you come across 4 scrolls that look like they are part of the storyline. They have a few random words on it and you can toss them where-ever you want, thus it certainly looks like they are not important. But if you accidentally make the serious mistake of losing them, you are unable to progress further in the game. I found that out when searching for a walkthrough of the game.

There is a reason why some games do not allow you to lose game-breaking items and that is to prevent the extreme frustration of having to spend a lot of time backtracking and looking into every nook and cranny in hopes of finding them again.

How on earth is a first-time player supposed to differentiate between unimportant storyline items and game-breaking quest items? Because the inventory space is limited, you NATURALLY BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO THROWING AWAY EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TO YOUR SURVIVAL.

I spent about an hour going back and looking over every single square and finally found all of those scrolls, but now my party is almost out of food.

I don't want to read through the walkthrough, but I have to ask: are there any more “puzzles” like this? I lost the first Toorum's note somewhere I don't even remember. Is there even any point going forward or am I going to run into a dead-end that asks me to insert all of the Toorum's notes and won't let me progress without them? Sigh...
Dr.Disaster

Re: I lost a Toorum's note. Will the game become unplayable

Post by Dr.Disaster »

ZeSjob wrote:Before I go any further in the game, I need to ask this: Do I also have to hoard all of Toorum's notes, so that the game doesn't become unplayable somewhere in the later levels?
Toorum's notes are not required to play or finish the game.

To prevent "loss" of items leave stuff you don't seem to need at points you can easily go back to i.e. the crystals of life. And about running out of food: there are a few places in the game where food-providing monsters do respawn. Just keep an eye out for them.
Komag

Post by Komag »

There are a couple spots on level 9 where you need a few items, but they can be found not too far away so it's really not much to worry about.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
ZeSjob

Post by ZeSjob »

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sorry about the rant, I was just really frustrated. I would suggest adding a bold red line saying "Important quest item, don't lose it" in the bottom of those scrolls. Some people might get discouraged and stop playing if they lose them.

Scrolls that have useful practical information like how to make potions or how to cast spells can be thrown away, but scrolls with seemingly unimportant random words can't.

I just came across another scroll that has just one word on it:
SpoilerShow
westmost
No idea if I can throw it away or do I have to keep it...
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

If I recall correctly, "Westmost" is a clue to a secret location. I won't say anything more. :p
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

ZeSjob wrote:I would suggest adding a bold red line saying "Important quest item, don't lose it" in the bottom of those scrolls. Some people might get discouraged and stop playing if they lose them.
Why? There are already too many dumbed down games on the market. Having no such spoiler information actually makes the difference between these big selling run-of-the-mill games and something with a real RPG background.
SpoilerShow
besides .. would you want such a bold red line on each and every rock you come across? :D