Found some great character portraits

Show off your Legend of Grimrock art, fiction, music or whatever!
LeetMiniWheat

Found some great character portraits

Post by LeetMiniWheat »

Edit: As an example, I temporarily set one to my forum avatar.
<-----

I found some great portraits from a really old graphical MUD I used to play so I figured I'd post here for you guys (and girls) who might be looking for some nice portraits to use (or "borrow") for your Legend of Grimrock characters :). Some of them fit very very well into the game (And If anyone is curious, they are from the game Realms of Kaos, which is sadly on it's last legs and dying).

I'm not quite sure the legality of it but I think it's fine to use for for personal use only as long as you don't distribute it. I thought about resizing/converting them all and uploading it for you guys to conveniently drag+drop into game folder, but that would fall under the modifying and redistributing category which is a line I won't cross.

1. Download this zip file here (don't worry it won't burn down your house, It's just a zip with a bunch of folders containing JPG images)
2. Extract the zip file, then browse the "NPCS" folder (there's over 900 character face pictures here) and pick out some you like.
3. Then open the ones you like with an image editor like Paint.NET, GIMP, or Photoshop. Resize it to 140x140 res and then save (or export) as a .tga file, then place in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Almost Human\Legend of Grimrock\Portraits and they will be available to import when creating a new party. If you need more detailed instructions on how to resize/convert, I can make a quick guide if people ask.

If you liked this, a simple thanks would be awesome and motivate me to find more cool stuff for you guys :)

Mods: Sorry if this is not allowed, just delete if this is against the rules. I just wanted to share this so others can enhance their gaming experience (Personally, I can't get into a game unless I like how my characters look and, while the default portraits aren't bad, it's always good to have more options). Even if they're copyrighted, it's not like we're distributing and profiting off them so I think it's a legal gray-area. Plus, the zip file is directly from the author's website unmodified, so they're plainly available to anyone. If there is an issue with this, I guess I can ask the author if it's okay for people to use for personal use, but I don't see there being a problem.
Komag

Re: Found some great character portraits

Post by Komag »

How about you go ahead and ask him.

Legally you perhaps don't need to, since the download was already freely available for anyone, and we're just using the pics in our own private gaming sessions, but when we start "endorsing" the set on the official forums it's better to be respectful and check with the author if possible.

Plus he'll probably be honored about it and give permission easily.

(by the way, I recommend sorting the NPCS folder by resolution and deleting anything under 140x140 (over 600 images!), leaving still around 245 good sized pics that can be resized down if needed.)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Moved to Creative Corner.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
LeetMiniWheat

Post by LeetMiniWheat »

Thanks, I didn't see this forum before.

And btw, here's some more picture examples from this pack

Raggie

Post by Raggie »

You know, I wish someone would make HD versions of the portraits in the classics in this genre, like Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic 3-5 and Lands of Lore.
Komag

Post by Komag »

What do you mean HD versions - like full desktop sized images of just one person, 1920x1600 or whatever, instead of just 140x140?
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
theruler

Post by theruler »

TMNT Style!

Credits go to Dave Rapoza: http://daverapoza.cghub.com/
Kenshin-dono

Post by Kenshin-dono »

holy crud, someone please tell me there are portraits of thost TNT pics... those would be awesome