Old School Mode

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Lex

Old School Mode

Post by Lex »

As fan of dungeon crawlers I was planing to start the game in Old School Mode, without automap, but after watching this review I realized that something important is missing here - where is the compass? It was one of important things I was using in the old times to play all games in Eye of the Beholder series and drawing a map on piece of paper... so... no compass?
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
Crise

Re: Old School Mode

Post by Crise »

Good point, I was thinking of trying old school... but without some indicator it is going to mean way too much wasted grid paper...
VladePsyker

Post by VladePsyker »

If memory serves in Dungeon master the compass was an item that you had to equip to an offhand to be able to see while adventuring there was no global compass
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

I see the compass, he gives it to the mage for a while, and the guy above his mage. Keep an eye on the equipment ^^.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Ah, yes, VladePsyker, thanks for the tip - after watching video again I think I've found the compass in the hand of lower-right character at 10:28+. :D It also means that compass should be able to pick somewhere at some early stage of the game.
juho

Post by juho »

Confirmed. There's a compass in the game, but it may not be in the first room. :twisted:
Follow me on Twitter: @JuhoMakingStuff
Lex

Post by Lex »

Thank you, juho, for confirmation.

I would be very surprised to find it in first room. I even suspect it is in some secret area (but rather easy to find one as reviewer on linked video was able to find it during his first run). :P
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

Dang. Another surprise ruined. I need to stop looking around here. But I can't stop. :(

Still, glad there's a compass. I get lost and run out of food/water quite often (and in games too, :p )
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
Lex

Post by Lex »

I do not think that information about compass was type of spoiler. For me compass is kind of integral part of game interface in dungeon crawlers. In other words: it could be like saying "you can have automap" is spoiler type information also.
Stamm

Post by Stamm »

Oh, those were the times. Old school? Me and Sonja managed without even maps. Instead we placed used scrolls and other obsolete stuffs in the entrances of tunnels we already expleored. And sometimes a sword, dagger, worm slice or pieces of corbum to locations that still needed exploring. So we seldom got lost. We've been married for 30 years and still keep fighting. :evil: