Level 5 - new secret button?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Ashantara

Level 5 - new secret button?

Post by Ashantara »

Hello everyone from a newbie to this board!

I bought the game just a couple of days ago, and it is quite addictive (may I reference the "Eye of the Beholder" series or "Dungeon Master"? ;) ). I feel like I was 15 again. :D

So, last night I managed to pass the time-based platform puzzle on level 5 in order to grab the Brace of Fortitude. And guess what? I discovered a small secret button on the wall right next to it. I pressed it, but I couldn't figure out what it does! I searched the whole level but couldn't find any new room or anything.

So does anyone know what that button activates/opens and where I have to go to claim my reward? :)

Thanks in advance!
"Battle prowess is worthless if you are too dead to make use of it." — Soranthalas (my NWN half-elven Ranger/Rogue)
Lyverbe

Re: Level 5 - new secret button?

Post by Lyverbe »

You can press it again and immediately walk around. You will eventually go in the right direction and hear the wall open/close. The wall it activates is never far enough (unless the button opens/closes a floor trap, of course)
Thels

Post by Thels »

Can't recall it from head, but according to http://www.gamebanshee.com/legendofgrim ... level5.php the switch actually provides access to the bracers, or are you talking about a different pair?
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

Thels wrote:Can't recall it from head, but according to http://www.gamebanshee.com/legendofgrim ... level5.php the switch actually provides access to the bracers, or are you talking about a different pair?
No, that is not the button I was talking about (hence my explanation that it is a secret switch right next to the bracers' shrine ;) ). The button I was referring to can be found by standing at the platform in front of the bracers' shrine then turning right facing the right-hand wall.
Lyverbe wrote:You can press it again and immediately walk around.
???

I think the button's only purpose might be to activate the platform doors from this position. I am attaching an image to show you what button I am talking about. :)

"Battle prowess is worthless if you are too dead to make use of it." — Soranthalas (my NWN half-elven Ranger/Rogue)
Thels

Post by Thels »

Most likely the button indeed activates the hatches again, since otherwise you'd be stuck there.

GameBanshee has all the secrets, and it doesn't mention anything about this switch specifically, so it doesn't unlock a secret.
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

Yep, I had checked on said walkthrough, too, before I posted here and was surprised to find that the button was not mentioned anywhere.

All right then, thank you very much for your help. :)
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

I just did this a couple of days ago myself. As was suggested, the button next to the bracer shelf just activates the platform sequence again.
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

Thanks a lot. :) Already fighting my way through level 6. ;)
Lyverbe

Post by Lyverbe »

Ashantara wrote:
Lyverbe wrote:You can press it again and immediately walk around.
???
While a wall is moving due to a button, you can hear a grinding noise. So, to know what the button has activated, you push it and walk around until you can hear a grinding noise. That's how you'll know what the button do.
Ashantara

Post by Ashantara »

Lyverbe wrote:While a wall is moving due to a button, you can hear a grinding noise. So, to know what the button has activated, you push it and walk around until you can hear a grinding noise. That's how you'll know what the button do.
This gave me quite a laugh. :D

1. It is not like anyone wouldn't come to that clever conclusion without help and try it first thing. :P
2. Had you read my post(s) carefully, you would know that a) any immediate step would take you down a level (because you would fall through open pits), and b) the sound of the opening and closing hatches is drowning any other sound nearby (hence the conclusion that this button's only purpose must be reactivating the sequence). ;)

Thank you anyway. :mrgreen: