Playing below official minimum requirements

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Lex

Playing below official minimum requirements

Post by Lex »

Official minimum system requirements:
CPU: Dual Core 2GHz Intel or 2.8GHz AMD
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported). Minimum supported resolutions 1280×720 and 1024×768.
DirectX: 9.0c
Disk Space: 1GB

I'm feeling quite comfortable while playing this game on single core Pentium 4c HT 2.4GHz and ATI Radeon X1300XT with 256MB memory and so far, I haven't encountered any errors /crashes. Do any others have similar experience? Because if yes, maybe it could be good to mention this on official FAQ?
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
Darklord

Re: Playing below official minimum requirements

Post by Darklord »

How did you go with the timed puzzles? I know some people were able to run the game, but the lag was to much to do the puzzles. :(

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Lex

Post by Lex »

I do not "feel" any "lag" while moving or turning around. Game responds at the same moment I'm pressing the key.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Good news. :)

What graphics settings did you use in game?

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Lex

Post by Lex »

So far I haven't noticed any real differences between low/medium options I'm trying around. I'm playing mostly at full screen at lowest resolution but from time to time also in window.
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

I'm playing way below specs. But am able to play even most of the harder puzzles.

And I only have a intel integrated 3000 video chipset on win7 intel dual core 3G ram.
I updated the chipset driver, turned vertical sync on in intel video settings and set to quality.
In game I'm running res of 1280X800, triple buffer on, texture qual high sometimes will drop to med to see if it helps with puzzle but most of the time it's me fumbling WASD, SSOA off.
Only lag I have even noticed was in a room or two that had multiple teleports + torches. I take torches off wall where can and all is well.

Game looks and responds great!
The FORCE is with me!!!
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

Maybe that will help someone that has doubt about buying this great game!!!
The FORCE is with me!!!
cezi

Post by cezi »

Lex wrote:
I'm feeling quite comfortable while playing this game on single core Pentium 4c HT 2.4GHz and ATI Radeon X1300XT with 256MB memory and so far, I haven't encountered any errors /crashes. Do any others have similar experience? Because if yes, maybe it could be good to mention this on official FAQ?
It's a pity I can't play it, since I have Mobility Radeon 9800 which supports Pixel Shader 2.0 Only. I have single core Pentium 4 EE 3.4 Ghz, so not so bad comparing to you. Buying new laptop is not possible right now. Anyway I still hope, there will be a kind of "netbook" patch some day, which allows the game to play on Pixel Shader 2.O (e.g. like Oldblivion a few years ago)

Best regards,

Cezi
oodyboo

Post by oodyboo »

Darklord wrote:How did you go with the timed puzzles? I know some people were able to run the game, but the lag was to much to do the puzzles. :(
From my experience, most people's computers are full of bloatware that is more likely the cause of this lag than hardware specs.

Especially the vast majority of people with Dell, HP, etc computers that come with Norton/ McAfee scareware pre-installed. Not to mention the ridiculous array of junk applications they preload on the machines. Add to that all the auto-updaters for flash and java and junk that gets bundled installed with various "free" applications. Many of the computers I repair have at least 5 toolbar plugins and other programs that their owners don't know how they got there or how to remove them. (Generally they got there from clicking on links in e-mails or downloading free emoticons)

I have seen some very powerful computers brought to a crawl by bloated software.

This is probably why the game runs so great in Wine, as Linux distributions and users tend to load a *lot* less bloatware.

Obviously there will be exceptions, and video drivers can be a source of issues also, but I'll still bet Norton and McAfee are the main culprits.
Lex

Post by Lex »

cezi wrote:It's a pity I can't play it, since I have Mobility Radeon 9800 which supports Pixel Shader 2.0 Only. I have single core Pentium 4 EE 3.4 Ghz, so not so bad comparing to you.
My PC (built around 2003) had 9500Pro but I (fortunately?) had to replace it around 2007-8 because its fan went out of order and I couldn't find any good replacement at that time.