[Feedback] The necessity of equipping some items before use

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
IanTheWizard

[Feedback] The necessity of equipping some items before use

Post by IanTheWizard »

Can we have a quality of life change and make Mortar and Pestle not requiring equipping before use, just like how they used to work in LoG1? Shovel does not require equipping before use, so why do Mortar and Pestle?

Speaking of this, I would like to report that bombs currently do not require equipping before use. So you can keep throwing bombs from your inventory nonstop and without cooldowns. Since that might not be working as intended, I think I need to let you be aware of that.
Last edited by IanTheWizard on Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Disaster

Re: [Feedback] The necessity of equipping some items before use

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Have you ever tried to crush stuff within a mortar without holding and using the pestle?
Or having it still sit in your cupboard?
IanTheWizard

Post by IanTheWizard »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:44 pm Have you ever tried to crush stuff within a mortar without holding and using the pestle?
Have you ever tried to dig a hole with a shovel without holding and using the shovel?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

IanTheWizard wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:23 am
Dr.Disaster wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:44 pm Have you ever tried to crush stuff within a mortar without holding and using the pestle?
Have you ever tried to dig a hole with a shovel without holding and using the shovel?
The shovel does not require other items to produce holes.

Mortar and pestle do require other items to produce something which is why it's also a container.
IanTheWizard

Post by IanTheWizard »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:30 pm The shovel does not require other items to produce holes.

Mortar and pestle do require other items to produce something which is why it's also a container.
Involving other items is not a valid stand, in my opinion. The point is holding or not holding in hand to use.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

IanTheWizard wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:10 pm
Dr.Disaster wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:30 pm The shovel does not require other items to produce holes.

Involving other items is not a valid stand, in my opinion. The point is holding or not holding in hand to use.
The point of involving other items is absolutely valid here. Otherwise creating stuff with mortal and pestle will be simply impossible. You then might as well forget that it even exists.

Mortar and pestle are required to create potions and bombs but without holding it aka actively using it it's just a plain container that does nothing. Similar to a jar you just dump stuff into; the content won't change without another action.
IanTheWizard

Post by IanTheWizard »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:04 pm Mortar and pestle are required to create potions and bombs but without holding it aka actively using it it's just a plain container that does nothing. Similar to a jar you just dump stuff into; the content won't change without another action.
And shovel is required to dig holes but without holding it aka actively using it it's just a plain item that does nothing. Yet only shovel got the quality of life feature, so I think mortar and pestle can get the feature as well.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

IanTheWizard wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am
Dr.Disaster wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:04 pm Mortar and pestle are required to create potions and bombs but without holding it aka actively using it it's just a plain container that does nothing. Similar to a jar you just dump stuff into; the content won't change without another action.
And shovel is required to dig holes but without holding it aka actively using it it's just a plain item that does nothing. Yet only shovel got the quality of life feature, so I think mortar and pestle can get the feature as well.
That's unlikely because shovel is a one-trick-pony. Mortar and pestel is not.
IanTheWizard

Post by IanTheWizard »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:38 am
LoG1 seems to respectfully disagree.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

IanTheWizard wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:38 am
Dr.Disaster wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:38 am
LoG1 seems to respectfully disagree.
That's comparing apples and oranges.

LoG1 mortar and pestel was a plain container you could dump anything into. Pure try and error.
LoG2 mortar and pestel shows all ingredients in your inventory, ready to select for what you want to make based on your characters Alchemy level.