[MOD] Call Of House Hardabar

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
topdray

Re: [MOD] Call Of House Hardabar

Post by topdray »

Thanks a lot - that should help!
Galdak

Post by Galdak »

Thanks, you are legend :)
topdray

Post by topdray »

Hi,
need again some help with this great mod.
How to open the door with the torch riddle in Mount Khand (One torch is noisy etc.)?
Thanks!
abyrvalg

Post by abyrvalg »

EDIT: nvm, solved both of the points, the second one directly leads to the solution of the first one.

So far this has been a great mod, but i've gotten severely stuck on several quests. Would appreciate help with really strong hints or outright solutions.

Currently i'm around the Greyfish Swamp + Rocky Canyon areas, i have
SpoilerShow
Lever arm & Garson Golden key, - already used one key to get into the Garson area that requires some kind of Holy Cross (no idea what that is yet), and i have this 2nd key left.
1. I cannot find the
SpoilerShow
staff for the Mayor
Where should i look?

2. In Rocky Canyon Underground there's a closed door with a keyhole near the
SpoilerShow
crafting table that was used to assemble the bridge
How can i get the key for it? I've teleported around using console commands and it seems that
SpoilerShow
the lever that i have in my possession
is used right beyond that door.
Stamm Bladecaster

Post by Stamm Bladecaster »

1. Finishing Garson will give a big clue.

The holy cross is close, and does not require any special or unique item
SpoilerShow
Break the bed
2. Can't remember exactly where the key is sorry. I think at the time I got the answer from one of these 90 pages.
abyrvalg wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:31 pm EDIT: nvm, solved both of the points, the second one directly leads to the solution of the first one.

So far this has been a great mod, but i've gotten severely stuck on several quests. Would appreciate help with really strong hints or outright solutions.

Currently i'm around the Greyfish Swamp + Rocky Canyon areas, i have
SpoilerShow
Lever arm & Garson Golden key, - already used one key to get into the Garson area that requires some kind of Holy Cross (no idea what that is yet), and i have this 2nd key left.
1. I cannot find the
SpoilerShow
staff for the Mayor
Where should i look?

2. In Rocky Canyon Underground there's a closed door with a keyhole near the
SpoilerShow
crafting table that was used to assemble the bridge
How can i get the key for it? I've teleported around using console commands and it seems that
SpoilerShow
the lever that i have in my possession
is used right beyond that door.
abyrvalg

Post by abyrvalg »

Finished the mod today. Total playtime: 92 hours + about 15-20 hours spent on secret hunting and reloading. Secrets found: 310. Final levels of my party were:
SpoilerShow
83 (lizardman fighter), 61 (lizardman barbarian), 89 (ratling alchemist), 52 (human wizard). I went for double lizardmen because of high natural elemental resistances, since i had no clue about the itemization in this mod, and whether any permanent buffs to resists existed there. After having played Final Adventure on Hard difficulty, i learned to love capped resists.
After finishing the mod, I ended up writing a few helper functions for console, e.g. a function reveals the entire map, another function that lists all the missed items on the ground for the level i'm in, and i can repeatedly call another function to teleport through all secrets in the current level, so i do know where all the remaining secrets are, i guess.

Overall thoughts:
extremely high enjoyment factor, i genuinely had lots of fun all the way through. This is probably my 2nd favorite mod for LOG2 (only bested by Guardians, which is my favorite by far). I especially appreciate the level design and boss fights in this one, - those were interesting, varied, and mostly challenging. Visuals are amazing also, e.g. cities do feel like actual cities, huge and breathing with life; jungle does feel like a jungle, -overgrown and confusing. Pretty much every area looks and plays well, following the theme both via visuals and gameplay (my favorite examples are the ARC, Zo Temple, Malan Tael, Pirate Bastion, and especially Obanyon). The plot and characters are quite generic and feel like a complete mess but i was hooked enough to want to know what happens next :) "Sidequests" like the Tannhauser's Tomb, and Jean Bart's treasure were also epic, i was happy every time i made progress in those. To reiterate again, i loved the experience and will replay it some day. Thank you so much for making this, it's going into my memory bank for years as a joyful and immersive playthrough. I've even recorded my entire playthrough to be able to rewatch and relive it later.

Some negatives to mention:
1. Poor English sometimes makes it hard to understand what's being conveyed, and other times turns a serious scene into farce. I would suggest to give more attention to that. You can even use ChatGPT or other AI tools to make your texts properly stylized and grammatically correct. It does have its own downsides, but that would remove 90% of the problems with text in the mod within about ~2-3 hours of work, and would make it easier to fix the remaining mistakes by asking the testers and the community.
2. Good art requires not only creating and implementing ideas, but also knowing when to stop, and what to cut out. Good example of that in terms of LOG is the aforementioned Guardians, - there's no bloat in it, the ideas are conveyed in a minimal but rich fashion. In Call of House Hardabar i'm pretty sure if you cut out a significant chunk, no value would be lost. For example, i doubt that many people would miss the Skycity Prison level if you delete it in its entirety. Darntkhang and its dungeon is fun but you can skip it with 1 dialogue option, so it feels pointless gameplay-wise. Imo it'd be more tight if you incorporated parts of it into, say, Underground tomb, and/or some other area, without going overboard. Same can be said about several other areas. I'm not even sure whether even the ARC should be as big, - i would actually love to play an entire mod themed in this
SpoilerShow
System Shock
kind of theme, - it was amazing. But as it is now, it was like i finished the mod and suddenly started playing a completely different game when i arrived there. And it lasted a while too!
3. There are many secrets that simply require the player to pixel-hunt for a button nearby, and, even according to this forum thread, it seems like some people resorted to using clicker scripts to do that, since you never know which kinds of buttons exist in this or that tileset. I also did that a couple of times.
4. Permanent lock-outs are not fun. Missing a red wheel because you chose a wrong dialogue option, or permanently missing a secret because you didn't choose to kill a character (that you've just met for the first time) is not enjoyable.

I hope to see more of your stuff in the future, and thank you again, i dread to imagine how much work has gone into it.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

abyrvalg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:14 am I've even recorded my entire playthrough to be able to rewatch and relive it later.
Where i can watch your playthrough?
Is it on youtube?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

abyrvalg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:14 am Finished the mod today.
if you would replay again, what classes/races would you chose?
DonEmilio

Post by DonEmilio »

Hi. I am going to start this mod in HARD. It will be laborious, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. My group will consist of two barbarians (one light weapons and one heavy weapons, one alchemist-wizard and one Wizard. All lizardmen with endure elements. I'm not going to put too much effort into the secrets because with the length of the MOD I could go crazy. Wish me luck.
DonEmilio

Post by DonEmilio »

I managed to overcome the puzzle, it seems that there is a BUG or something with the weight of the objects, the weight that I had weighed was correct, however it did not work, try with other objects totally different and if it worked, these are the objects that I put (in case someone gets stuck in the same place):

North Alcove: Full Helmet (5 kg).
East Alcove: Infernal Machine + Rites of the moon + The Well Made Cookery (22 kg).
South Alcove: Leg Plate + Skull (11 kg).
West Alcove: Three Forge Hammer (3 kg).

------------------------------

Stuck in "Redwood Mine Level 1". Puzzle "Weight test procedure: Caution: Check all alcoves clockwise".

I put items inside a bag so that the whole bag (including the bag) weighs what it has to weigh based on the information in a note I found.

North alcove: 5 kg.
East alcove: 11 kg.
South alcove: 22 kg.
West alcove: 3 kg.

Nothing happens (I guess the door should open). I have tried changing everything in order, start from the south, etc... and nothing. Putting objects loose instead of in bags doesn't work either. I have tried with different objects and also redoing it from scratch over and over again, there is no way.

I use LOG2 version 2.2.4 and Mod version V204R.