19 Gems And No Place To Go

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Sir Tawmis

Re: 19 Gems And No Place To Go

Post by Sir Tawmis »

wagtunes wrote:
Sir Tawmis wrote:
wagtunes wrote: 1. It is now 100,000 XP between levels (I'm at level 17) and I simply don't have the patience to grind that much given how little creatures there are in this game right now.
If you're not opposed to a slight cheat, you can access the console command and get a few extra things that might help... like those healing shards... which if you keep equipped on one person can heal the whole party... or bump up your XP to see if a level or two makes a difference...
Sure, at this point I'll try anything but have no idea how to access the console.
This will get you started.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Sir Tawmis wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Sure, at this point I'll try anything but have no idea how to access the console.
Thank you kindly.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

wagtunes wrote:
Sir Tawmis wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Sure, at this point I'll try anything but have no idea how to access the console.
Thank you kindly.
No problem. I'd try not going "overboard" first. Maybe just spawn the crystal shards.
spawn("crystal_shard_healing")

Grab some of those, because those will instantly heal the whole party. So grab some, use that, and see if that helps win that fight.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Sir Tawmis wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Sir Tawmis wrote: Sure, at this point I'll try anything but have no idea how to access the console.

No problem. I'd try not going "overboard" first. Maybe just spawn the crystal shards.
spawn("crystal_shard_healing")

Grab some of those, because those will instantly heal the whole party. So grab some, use that, and see if that helps win that fight.
Yeah, that alone will probably do it given that I can handle everything up to the Magma Golems.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Just wanted to report back. I loaded up on rage and speed potions and healing crystals. Did fairly well until the Magma Golems, Medusas and all the other creatures at that level. I kept running around the maze simply trying to evade, hoping Lindwurm would trample all these things so I could just go one on one with him but it never happened and eventually I got cornered and there was no escape.

Possibly if I spawn 100 healing crystals for each party member I might have a chance. But as is, I am way out of my league with this thing. And after a good 20 minute battle, I just can't see myself going through all that again.

It's time to admit defeat and move onto something else.

Thanks again for all the help.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Well, I sat down and thought things through and decided that the only thing I needed was enough rage potions to go toe to toe with the last 2 bosses. The only question was weather or not the party could survive their attacks before dealing the fatal blows.

Anyway, it was pretty easy. First battle, on the roof, about 4 or 5 shots did it. Was able to close in during the battle against the zombies after he raised his shields. Trickster was even easier. A few shots on the Trickster and one shot on whatever it was he morphed into and it was over.

So technically, if I grinded enough and collected enough materials and made enough potions, I could have won this legitimately. I estimate, however, that it would have taken me a good 3 months based on the spawn rate.

If I were to run through this again (I might next year) I'd construct my party differently and conserve all my ingredients, saving them all for end game. I'd rely on healing crystals to get me through everything. In some ways it would have drawn things out a bit but the end result would be a quicker finish instead of having to grind out extra levels. And I wouldn't have to hack the console to get through it.

For the most part, really fun game. Can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth out of LoG 1 and 2. I do think I like 1 better because I'm not really a fan of outdoor adventuring, even though with Might and Magic VI they actually did that better than the indoor stuff. The townspeople interaction really added a dimension that I hadn't experienced before that game. Wish I could find an emulation for it (doesn't run on my new PC) that I can download.

And now, on to custom made dungeons.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

wagtunes wrote: Well, I sat down and thought things through and decided that the only thing I needed was enough rage potions to go toe to toe with the last 2 bosses. The only question was weather or not the party could survive their attacks before dealing the fatal blows.
Anyway, it was pretty easy. First battle, on the roof, about 4 or 5 shots did it. Was able to close in during the battle against the zombies after he raised his shields. Trickster was even easier. A few shots on the Trickster and one shot on whatever it was he morphed into and it was over.
So technically, if I grinded enough and collected enough materials and made enough potions, I could have won this legitimately. I estimate, however, that it would have taken me a good 3 months based on the spawn rate.
Congrats! Sometimes, it takes a little "edge" to win the game, I say. Because there's nothing more disappointing than working all the way to reach the end - and then not being able to beat the final boss. This is exactly what happened to me in Final Fantasy VII. I did everything - got all the summons, golden chocobo, you name it - but when it came to facing Seperoth in the end? I'd get him down so that he had 1/4 of his health left - and then he does that meteorite summon that deals 9,999 damage - and kills me every time. Apparently there's some trick to beating him, but after months and months and months of trying - I never went back to it, and finally just looked up the ending. Shame too, because I absolutely loved FFVII and dumped an insane amount of time into that game, to not be able to beat it at the end.
wagtunes wrote: For the most part, really fun game. Can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth out of LoG 1 and 2. I do think I like 1 better because I'm not really a fan of outdoor adventuring, even though with Might and Magic VI they actually did that better than the indoor stuff. The townspeople interaction really added a dimension that I hadn't experienced before that game. Wish I could find an emulation for it (doesn't run on my new PC) that I can download.
I can't remember what Might & Magic VI ran on - was it Windows based on DOS based? If it was DOS based, I'd recommend DOSBOX for all your retro gaming needs.

And as for interior vs outside - I actually like the outside, because you get a variety of scenes, compared to interior, the only thing that changes is the pattern on the walls and floor. That said though, I grew up on the WIZARDRY series starting with WIZARDRY 1... so I grew up on those inside walls. :)
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Sir Tawmis wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Well, I sat down and thought things through and decided that the only thing I needed was enough rage potions to go toe to toe with the last 2 bosses. The only question was weather or not the party could survive their attacks before dealing the fatal blows.
Congrats! Sometimes, it takes a little "edge" to win the game, I say. Because there's nothing more disappointing than working all the way to reach the end - and then not being able to beat the final boss. This is exactly what happened to me in Final Fantasy VII. I did everything - got all the summons, golden chocobo, you name it - but when it came to facing Seperoth in the end? I'd get him down so that he had 1/4 of his health left - and then he does that meteorite summon that deals 9,999 damage - and kills me every time. Apparently there's some trick to beating him, but after months and months and months of trying - I never went back to it, and finally just looked up the ending. Shame too, because I absolutely loved FFVII and dumped an insane amount of time into that game, to not be able to beat it at the end.
wagtunes wrote: For the most part, really fun game. Can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth out of LoG 1 and 2. I do think I like 1 better because I'm not really a fan of outdoor adventuring, even though with Might and Magic VI they actually did that better than the indoor stuff. The townspeople interaction really added a dimension that I hadn't experienced before that game. Wish I could find an emulation for it (doesn't run on my new PC) that I can download.
I can't remember what Might & Magic VI ran on - was it Windows based on DOS based? If it was DOS based, I'd recommend DOSBOX for all your retro gaming needs.

And as for interior vs outside - I actually like the outside, because you get a variety of scenes, compared to interior, the only thing that changes is the pattern on the walls and floor. That said though, I grew up on the WIZARDRY series starting with WIZARDRY 1... so I grew up on those inside walls. :)
Wizardry was another favorite of mine. I'm not sure which one I played but it was a blast. Those space girls in the suits in those ships were off the wall amazing. It wasn't real time fighting so you had time to plan your strategy. I really enjoyed that.

Might And Magic VI ran on Windows XP. I can't get it to run right on Windows 7, which is what I'm running now, even in XP mode.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

wagtunes wrote: Wizardry was another favorite of mine. I'm not sure which one I played but it was a blast. Those space girls in the suits in those ships were off the wall amazing. It wasn't real time fighting so you had time to plan your strategy. I really enjoyed that.
Might And Magic VI ran on Windows XP. I can't get it to run right on Windows 7, which is what I'm running now, even in XP mode.
Based off that description - you played Wizardry VII.

And are you sure MM6 doesn't have a DOS version? Because I just checked - and I remembered buying the M&M series on GoG.
(So if you really love the game, you can purchase it on gog.com if you can't get it to run with Dosbox).
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Sir Tawmis wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Wizardry was another favorite of mine. I'm not sure which one I played but it was a blast. Those space girls in the suits in those ships were off the wall amazing. It wasn't real time fighting so you had time to plan your strategy. I really enjoyed that.
Based off that description - you played Wizardry VII.

And are you sure MM6 doesn't have a DOS version? Because I just checked - and I remembered buying the M&M series on GoG.
(So if you really love the game, you can purchase it on gog.com if you can't get it to run with Dosbox).
Yep, that was the Wizardry. That was on floppy disk. 3.5 inch. That was definitely DOS.

As for M&M, not sure if it had a DOS version but I still have the CD here and it was a Windows startup. I had XP at the time.