Wh do I need Steam?

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Evil Blood

Why do I need steam?

Post by Evil Blood »

Hi all,

Got the bundle now :D But there's a new question now...

First I installed both games en they are working without the steam keys....
So like explained on the site from Humble I installed the app Steam on my computer... and I registered the both keys!
I din't installed from Steam their library stuff for both games on my computer... because the games are working and my suspicion feelings for strange programs.
And Little Snitch was showing me a lot connections from the Steam app.

So why do I need Steam and what does it for the game and why does it need all these connections???

Kind regards,
EB
Sir Tawmis

Re: Wh do I need Steam?

Post by Sir Tawmis »

I did not get LOGI or LOGII through Steam, myself - so I can't answer this one. :)
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Halluinoid

Post by Halluinoid »

Steam is like a huge BIG BROTHER all encompassing parasite in my view

I got another game ExtraTerrestrials from Steam

now every time I start my PC I have several minutes of Steam "verifying the installation" and during that time don't even try using email, a browser well basically anything at all

the really annoying thing is, if you start your PC 1 hour after that you'll see Steam "verifying the installation" all over again, Again don't even try using email, a browser etc just "GET USED TO IT"

I am now removing Steam and getting "ExtraTerrestrials" elsewhere, the Parasite Big Brother can go and jump
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Halluinoid wrote:now every time I start my PC I have several minutes of Steam "verifying the installation" and during that time don't even try using email, a browser well basically anything at all

the really annoying thing is, if you start your PC 1 hour after that you'll see Steam "verifying the installation" all over again, Again don't even try using email, a browser etc just "GET USED TO IT"
You can prevent Steam starting with your PC by de-activating "Run Steam when my Computer starts" in Steam settings.

Click "Steam" Menu -> Settings -> Interface -> uncheck the "Run Steam when my Computer starts" box -> click "OK" -> problem solved.

Now what is odd is your Steam Client starting to verifying a game installation by itself. There is no general setting in Steam Client to enable this behavior. So it's either a game-specific setting (check the properties for that game by right-cllicking it in your library) or you encountered something you should report to Steam support.