Model textures

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: Model textures

Post by Isaac »

Gradunk wrote:

Code: Select all

glossiness = 50000000,
Why do you have glossiness set at fifty million? (typical values are 1 to 100)
Gradunk

Post by Gradunk »

lol i do know that but they were still way too shiny to the point where they were grey. so i said f**k it and pumped it way up.
I smell you, i do! You GRADUNK! No be hiding on TORGAL!
minmay

Post by minmay »

if you don't provide a specularMap it will default to pure maximum-intensity white, i.e. as "shiny" as possible. (the same happens if you don't provide a diffuseMap, this is actually used for the goromorg candle material!)
changing glossiness won't affect that, glossiness just controls the "smoothness" of the specular highlights, not their intensity.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Gradunk

Post by Gradunk »

except it does affect it. lol. it's grey and yes... very very shiny with 0-100 glossiness, but it doesn't shine at all at 5000000 lol. none of this explains why those 2 items diffuse maps wont work though lol
I smell you, i do! You GRADUNK! No be hiding on TORGAL!
minmay

Post by minmay »

I guess I wasn't clear enough. There are several things that determine how specular lighting behaves on a material:
- The specular map provides a multiplier for the specular intensity of each texel, in each of three color channels. So it determines both specular intensity and color.
- The glossiness is analogous to the constant α in the Phong reflection model. Consider mentally dividing it by 100. High glossiness won't make the shininess of an all-white specular map (which is what you get if you don't explicitly provide a specular map) go away, it will just make it more localized: the specular highlights will be smaller and brighter. A value of 5,000,000 is high enough to, in all realistic cases, make pixels either completely white or have no specular component at all. If you look at your material more closely I suspect you'll notice little white specks.

There's really not enough information to solve your diffuse map problem, all I can offer there are guesses: does your model actually have the correct material assigned to its triangles? Is your model's UV map sensible? etc.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.