Dungeon Kingdom on Steam EA - Major Update

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
eoliene

Dungeon Kingdom on Steam EA - Major Update

Post by eoliene »

Warm Tears brave adventurers !

For the ones following us here for a while, there is a good news: Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the moon has been released on steam early access:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/329040/

Sorry to Grimrock team for self-promotion ;) If you want steam keys in return, i'll be more than glad to give you some :)
Best Regards
Last edited by eoliene on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zo Kath Ra

Re: Dungeon Crawler kust released on Steam EA

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

in b4 someone complains that the tileset/monsters/etc. were copied from grimrock
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Nah, THIS game doesn't look like Grimrock ;)
eoliene

Post by eoliene »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:in b4 someone complains that the tileset/monsters/etc. were copied from grimrock
I would really more than glad to see what creatures or tiles set are similar ind Dungeon Kingdom :mrgreen: Have a look to this long video (not made by us), to get a beter idea about how does it looks. Perhaps you meant Dungeon Guardian? I remember reading about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHllhMrCK5I

Cheers
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

eoliene wrote:
Zo Kath Ra wrote:in b4 someone complains that the tileset/monsters/etc. were copied from grimrock
I would really more than glad to see what creatures or tiles set are similar ind Dungeon Kingdom :mrgreen: Have a look to this long video (not made by us), to get a beter idea about how does it looks. Perhaps you meant Dungeon Guardian? I remember reading about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHllhMrCK5I

Cheers
My point was: they aren't similar, but someone will probably claim that they are.
eoliene

Post by eoliene »

Zo Kath Ra wrote: My point was: they aren't similar, but someone will probably claim that they are.
for sure :lol:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

It's pretty; that's for sure.

The UI seems to take concepts from Dungeonkeeper's war room; and Guardians of Destiny' and the dialog portraits [animation style] from Lands of Lore. Pretty slick, and well done too. If I'd not known about this game and only saw short clips, I could have easily mistook it for a "Throne of Chaos" Remaster. 8-)

Were the portraits done with Fantamorph; or a regular 3D package?

*The opening dialog text does not match the voiced NPC's statement (about the priestess Bavmorda); but this may have been fixed since the video.

**I assume it's known that "Bavmorda" is the name of the main antagonist in Willow.

***Personal peeve: The slight elevation bump when stepping forward (despite realism) gets annoying within mere minutes. It's not so much that it's there, it is the speed of it. I think if the elevation change were eased into a bit slower, it would not be as jarring, nor seem like vsync tear.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Dungeon Kingdom seems to take heavy references from Dungeon Master regarding stats, class and experience system, food and drink and so on. Even some of the items look like they've been copied and pasted from DM or more likely Germanny's tileset ;)
Adding physics to the environment seems nice, could make some interesting puzzles and maybe even combat mechanics.

By judging from the screenshots and gameplay videos available the interface seems too clunky i.e.
- character icons are stacked on top of each other -> long mouse paths to reach each hand
- casting a spell (through runes like in DM and LoG) is done from a sub-menu of the character sheet; see http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =559235499

Those NPC speech bubbles popping up here and there without anything/anyone around seem weird. This was also used in EoB2 and while it was some immersion break there EoB was wise enough to do it as little cutscenes which paused the game.

The voice acting is not good and it sounds like it was done by just one guy. Either redo or drop it entirely.

Not much to say about combat now; some reviewers report the used AI seems a bit "uninspired" and at times is not interested in fighting the party at all. Yet it would be unfair to judge it now since the Early Access release of the game is rather small so I'll wait and see, how it turns out.
eoliene

Post by eoliene »

Isaac wrote:It's pretty; that's for sure.
The UI seems to take concepts from Dungeonkeeper's war room; and Guardians of Destiny' and the dialog portraits [animation style] from Lands of Lore. Pretty slick, and well done too. If I'd not known about this game and only saw short clips, I could have easily mistook it for a "Throne of Chaos" Remaster. 8-)
Were the portraits done with Fantamorph; or a regular 3D package?
*The opening dialog text does not match the voiced NPC's statement (about the priestess Bavmorda); but this may have been fixed since the video.
**I assume it's known that "Bavmorda" is the name of the main antagonist in Willow.
***Personal peeve: The slight elevation bump when stepping forward (despite realism) gets annoying within mere minutes. It's not so much that it's there, it is the speed of it. I think if the elevation change were eased into a bit slower, it would not be as jarring, nor seem like vsync tear.
Hello,
-The portrait animation is a 2d portrait rigging and morphing system.
-Your right about Bavmorda :-)
We added lot of references, to DM, Ishar and others stuffs :)
eoliene

Post by eoliene »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Dungeon Kingdom seems to take heavy references from Dungeon Master regarding stats, class and experience system, food and drink and so on. Even some of the items look like they've been copied and pasted from DM or more likely Germanny's tileset ;)
Adding physics to the environment seems nice, could make some interesting puzzles and maybe even combat mechanics.
By judging from the screenshots and gameplay videos available the interface seems too clunky i.e.
- character icons are stacked on top of each other -> long mouse paths to reach each hand
- casting a spell (through runes like in DM and LoG) is done from a sub-menu of the character sheet; see http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =559235499
Those NPC speech bubbles popping up here and there without anything/anyone around seem weird. This was also used in EoB2 and while it was some immersion break there EoB was wise enough to do it as little cutscenes which paused the game.
The voice acting is not good and it sounds like it was done by just one guy. Either redo or drop it entirely.
Not much to say about combat now; some reviewers report the used AI seems a bit "uninspired" and at times is not interested in fighting the party at all. Yet it would be unfair to judge it now since the Early Access release of the game is rather small so I'll wait and see, how it turns out.
-About DM: we have had the written authorization of the author to use those items (very kind guy btw!). We have only used a few of them, but it was important for us as DK is also a tribute to DM and CSB. Actually, the 3D artist that made them was meant to work on this game but he has been too busy. Perhaps later...!

-Casting a Spell is easier than that once you memorize them. As for Dungeon Master, you create spells, or try to, and will probably fail a few times before your caracter manage to cast it. Then you can bind/assign the spell to a hand slot for a quick launch. Slots count depends of the character's level. With that system, casting spells during a fight is much much more convenient that having to enter formula each time you wanna cast it.

-The voice acting will be replaced by Professional ones for the final release. That's said, some enjoy the narration and "poping dialogs".I can understand your point of view, but if you play it, you wi'll see it's not popping in every corridors you enter ...Far from that !

-About the AI: There are some improvements to be done, but keep in mind what you have seen on the videos/screenshots almost always concerns the beginning of the game. We got reports about the creatures being too hard and we decided to make them a bit less aggressive. However, obviously, that won't be the case for all the creatures you’re going to meet later in the game.

Let me know if you need more details, i'll be glad to reply any questions.