Frequent Crashes in the Sewer

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
Aredhel_Wren

Frequent Crashes in the Sewer

Post by Aredhel_Wren »

Hi all. I'm running this game on a shiny new SLI setup consisting of 2x EVGA 980 Hydro Coppers. I've been getting awesome framerates and temps have not been an issue whatsoever aside from seeing a manageable spike in the 'Forgotten River' zone. No crashes and smooth sailing.

...Then I got to the Sewers. Something about this dungeon causes my NVidia driver to crash a display a kernel error, resulting in a black screen and a 'no input' message on my primary display. It's gotta have something to do with the water, right? In borderless windowed mode, this results in my needing to reboot. In windowed mode, I can manage to at least save the game before I reboot. I had heard that 980s can experience some hiccups with windowed games while Windows Aero themes are engaged. I turned that off, still have errors. I disabled SLI, and I still had errors.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd just like to be able to take a spin through this dungeon without worry about saving every 10 steps.

One thing I haven't tried is running it in fullscreen. I also haven't tried turning off V-Sync, but I can't imagine that would help at all.

Thanks!
Dr.Disaster

Re: Frequent Crashes in the Sewer

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Could be a corrupt installation. Better verify that your game files are ok.

Which driver version do you use?
Which SLI settings do you use? You might want to check this out.
What does "awesome framerates" stands for? 60, 120, 624?
What temperatures do you get?
Aredhel_Wren

Post by Aredhel_Wren »

Sorry for the delay in response and thanks for yours!

I'm using the latest drivers.
I was using the default SLI setting - thanks for the link, I've opted to use that setting which has further upped my framerates nicely.
I'm getting between 70 and 160+ depending on the zone.
My cards aren't getting above 41 degrees.

I did verify my game files through Steam. All set there.

I did end up clawing my way through the sewer before implementing these changes. I've seen increased performance in the Forgotten River zone and had no trouble at all in the Flooded Dungeon. If I end up backtracking through the sewer or when I get there in my next playthrough and if I'm still having issues I will revisit the thread. Thanks again for the help!
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Reading this I wish the best for LoG 2 and your awesome SLI setup.

However, I'm a bit of a hardware geek. I can't help myself noticing that you get "only" that fps.

I play on an amd fx 6350 with the old nVidia GTX 285. I play on max and record with Bandicam software Log 2 just fine with 60 fps. With none recording I reach the same fps as you.
120 to 170 in some area's and 75 to 90 in the Forgotten rivir.

I just wonder why my old card has the same FPS as you awesome setup as a dual 980... It doesn't make sense.

I could record my pc on my hd cam if none believe's me, showing my amd cpu and gtx single card. I got the same fps. ( but on 1680x1050) My monitor doesn't go higher. But come on. its an old GTX 285. I expected more from a single not to mentium sli 980.

Maybe your 980's are in energy forced mode?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

trancelistic wrote:I just wonder why my old card has the same FPS as you awesome setup as a dual 980... It doesn't make sense.
Actually i'm not wondering at all. We had quite a bit of a debate about this "behavior" and it's rather easy explained.

The LoG engines generate a rather high number of DirectX draw commands inside the CPU which needs to be send to and then processed by the GPU. The faster your CPU is the more draw commands can be generated and send out. Now when your GPU is very fast and can process more commands then your CPU is able to generate and send fps will stale at a certain point while you GPU basically could still render more frames. That's called CPU bottleneck.

Back in LoG 2 beta Skuggasveinn made the same observation. After switching from a GTX 670 to GTX 970 his framerate increase was only very small due to the same i7-2600K CPU which could not feed the faster GPU enough data. So when you get higher framerates than Aredhel with his 980 SLI setup it's prolly due to your CPU being more powerful than his taken into consideration the GPU(s) it has to feed.

of course i assume that you are both using nearly the same resolution. It could be that Aredhel runs a resolution (much) larger then 1080p which requires quite a lot of GPU power.
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Thanks for your feedback.

But still.. Sure i got ( now a days) a cheap AMD FX 6350) But isn't the intel third of 5th generation alot faster? Besides his gpu x 2 is?.

I have really np's recordin any game on max. Stream it on twitch even. Or record it on bandicam. its always steady on 85 fps ( screen cap hz) or to stream on 60 fps/hz)

I just mean. If my gtx 285.. so old, Plays log 1, log 2, even battle field 4 or bioshock infiniate on max + recording on max still having 60 fps. And none streaming I get on those games alot more. Why is his intel i7 with a single or dual 980 having the same fps as me...... I got an amd 3 core.. + 3 threads. Its not even a real 6 core and my GTX card is from 2009 "/

I am just saying he shoudl have more fps.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

trancelistic wrote:But still.. Sure i got ( now a days) a cheap AMD FX 6350) But isn't the intel third of 5th generation alot faster? Besides his gpu x 2 is?.

I have really np's recordin any game on max. Stream it on twitch even. Or record it on bandicam. its always steady on 85 fps ( screen cap hz) or to stream on 60 fps/hz)

I just mean. If my gtx 285.. so old, Plays log 1, log 2, even battle field 4 or bioshock infiniate on max + recording on max still having 60 fps. And none streaming I get on those games alot more. Why is his intel i7 with a single or dual 980 having the same fps as me...... I got an amd 3 core.. + 3 threads. Its not even a real 6 core and my GTX card is from 2009 "/

I am just saying he shoudl have more fps.
First of all: we don't know what resolution and CPU he's using. Going up in resolution adds tremendous pressure to the GPU. I can see that myself when i go past 1920x1080 by using the nVidia DSR resolutions. Going native 1920x1080 my GTX 760 manages to make about 80 fps at the main campaign's starting cage while with DSR max 3840x2160 it only gets into the mid-30's.

Then his CPU has to feed 2 very strong GPU's. Your AMD may be cheap but on a per-core basis it can calculate about 10% more than my i7 950 (1st gen). The top 5th gen i7 is "only" about 40% faster on a per core basis then your AMD while some 4th gen i7's are about 75% faster.

Finally there are the DX9 limitations of the LoG engine. Here sending draw commands to the GPU is limited to a single core so per core performance is way more important then overall CPU performance.
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind for later.

At least my old gtx and amd isn't so bad:) I'm happy about it.