Dex or Str for bows?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
ImmersionFD

Dex or Str for bows?

Post by ImmersionFD »

I've read many posts on the forums about how Minatour on back row using bows or crossbows are great as str effects missle damage not dex.

I'm playing on iPad. When I go to character creation screen it says the dex increases missile damage..

I"m trying to find out if there has a been a patch that has changed this, or if even though it says dex affects damage with missile weapon this is not true and str effects missisle damage.

Don't want to make a bad stat choice from the start.

Can anyone clarify?
minmay

Re: Dex or Str for bows?

Post by minmay »

In the PC version of Grimrock 1: dexterity has no effect on attack power, but each point increases accuracy by 1 and evasion by 2 as well as increasing shock and fire resistance based on a weird formula. The thing about this is that ranged attacks cannot miss, so accuracy is useless for them. Strength above 10 increases attack power by 1 for every 2 points. Its only other effect is increasing carrying capacity (which isn't really useful, since Grimrock lets you drop items and pick them back up later).
Note: that wiki page is wrong about a lot of other things (willpower and vitality give their bonus every level up, and they don't "round in the display", the bonus is actually randomized).

All the spoilers you find online will pertain to the PC version. Some things changed in the iPad version; it's possible this was one of them. (In Grimrock 2, none of the stuff I said is true.)
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
ImmersionFD

Post by ImmersionFD »

Is there some sort of place I can see the patch notes for the IPAD version?

Definintly confused regarding this issue.

During the character creation screen when I increase dex it shows the missile damage is increasing which makes me think there was a change.

Can anyone with the PC version confirm that when you increase str during character creating the the missile damage increase? If this can be confirmed we can assume there defiantly was a change in Dex and Bows.

If this is the case would what that mean for back row ranged weapons users? I played to level 3 so far and found very little throwing weapons which makes me hesitant to go throwing weapons.

Maybe minotaur would be less viable and go with lizard man with dex and vitally and bows? Was really hoping to use a minotaur with skulls for ranged weapons.

Or maybe this makes minotaur with throwing a better choice?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

In all LoG 1 versions before the iPad version (PC, Linux, OSX) all damage inflicted with a melee or ranged weapon attack including unarmed combat is increased by Strength.

I can't tell if this is different in the iPad version due to me having no iPad. I know that the iPad version was influenced by LoG 2 where strength and dexterity based weapons were introduced but i can't tell if this made it into the LoG 1 iPad version.
ImmersionFD

Post by ImmersionFD »

Can you go into your non iPad version of grimlock and see if increasing your dex in the character creation screen changes your missile damage?

In my iPad version changing dex in character creation changes missile damage, if behaves the same in the PC version that tells me nothing has changed.

If the PC version shows that str changes missile damage in the character creation screen then something has changed.
minmay

Post by minmay »

ImmersionFD wrote:Can you go into your non iPad version of grimlock and see if increasing your dex in the character creation screen changes your missile damage?
Dexterity does not increase missile damage in the PC version. Why won't you believe this? Lots of things have changed in the iPad version.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
ImmersionFD

Post by ImmersionFD »

Since dex effects bows now how what would ideal back row missile user be?

Dex based lizard archer?

You had mentioned that were other changes, can you let me know what else has been changed, or is there a place or document that lists such changes?

I don't want to be making decisions based on what is on the forums for the old PC version if the gameplay mechanics have been changed.

Thanks,
Komag

Post by Komag »

It sounds like you'll just have to do what we all did a couple years ago - make the best decisions you can based on what you see happening in the character creation menus, and try it out. Maybe make a "test" party and plan to play it for a few hours just for testing, then start over if you're not happy with it.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

I agree with komag. That is what adventure is about.

Try it all<3

excuse my English please.
TZO2k12

Post by TZO2k12 »

Personally I detest Minotaurs as they are big-fat damage soaking lumps of uselessness who cannot even hit or dodge their targets, no matter their worthless strength and carrying capacity, as you end up wasting potions on them all the while gobbling up all my party's food to boot...Had to restart the game thrice, before I learned this...Just forget the Minotaur even exists in this game, and you'll do well.

Go with Argonians (Yeah, yeah, I know..) as they can max dex/accuracy, and in this game you don't need strength that much as it doesn't matter how hard you hit, especially if you can't even hit the stinking target!
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.