The Island of Korus

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
ian363

The Island of Korus

Post by ian363 »

I've have just uploaded my game file to the Nexus site. If you have any questions please post them here.

The Island of Korus has dropped off the map. It is a training ground for the troops of the Federation and paying Adventurers. Contact with the island is lost and the islands shield has been raised making landing be sea impossible. Federation wizards have located a weak power source coming from an ancient shrine and this can be used to teleport a group in past the shield. Your task is to discover what has happened on the Island of Korus and lower the shield for troops to land. Good Luck.

Background information; the game is very story driven and is about the same size as the original. It is designed for a new party but at the beginning your party is raised to level 3, nearly 4 (they wouldn’t send in complete novices). In my game items are placed in groups. This means you can go after a set of armour and not have to wait to the very end to get the set up you want. There are very few items just lying about and abandoned buildings do not have lit corridors, you have to place torches yourself. There is a very logical design; you won’t be running about pulling levers and wondering what has happened. Please note that the only script used was to raise the level of new party at the start of a game. The rest of the game is script free but still has many puzzles including item specific and multi lever. I feel non-programmers may get put off by all the banter on the mod forum; hopefully this game will encourage others to have a go. I hope you enjoy playing The Island of Korus.
Jaberwoke

Re: The Island of Korus

Post by Jaberwoke »

Got a link?
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

OK. I found it :D
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

Hi, enjoying this.
SpoilerShow
stuck in SW Zarchton Lake. There is a teleporter beneath the island with the crystal on it and I can't find a way to get to it. May be something to do with "I was useful" and "eyes peeled"? All 8 plates are activated.
Thanks for your help.
ian363

Post by ian363 »

Jaberwoke wrote:Hi, enjoying this.
SpoilerShow
stuck in SW Zarchton Lake. There is a teleporter beneath the island with the crystal on it and I can't find a way to get to it. May be something to do with "I was useful" and "eyes peeled"? All 8 plates are activated.
Thanks for your help.
SpoilerShow
If you have opened all the gates and made it to the chest you will see a beach sign that says the underwater area is open. Go into the underwater fenced area and you will find a switch which will open the door to the building. Are you sure you have opened all the gates, as the 'eyes peeled' is how one of the plates is activated.
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

ian363 wrote:
Jaberwoke wrote:Hi, enjoying this.
SpoilerShow
Thanks for your help.
SpoilerShow
If you have opened all the gates and made it to the chest you will see a beach sign that says the underwater area is open. Go into the underwater fenced area and you will find a switch which will open the door to the building. Are you sure you have opened all the gates, as the 'eyes peeled' is how one of the plates is activated.
SpoilerShow
Yes, all gates opened. When I read the sign "eyes peeled" I looked around and saw a force field that wasn't there later. I missed that switch in the underwater area because I was drowning at that point. Just rushed in to the chest and back out again. Thanks.
Azel

Post by Azel »

I'm at 3 hours playtime right now, and very impressed with your approach to game design. It has a nice blend of pure dungeon crawler mixed with a pleasant open-world. I really like the integration of land-based story and puzzles alongside underwater areas. For comparison, in the original Grimrock 2 campaign, going underwater always felt (to me) like just "an extra thing to do." It was needed for a quick secret or puzzle, yet mostly separate from the main storyline. In your mod, the underwater areas are actually vital to the story...
SpoilerShow
I like the Note about needing all Zarch's to go underwater, including the 'two stupid' ones that tend to stay on land. And this is all part of the fact that intruders have been detected.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the end-game turnes out.

More things I enjoyed:
SpoilerShow
Depot switch is cool. I always use standard switches, this is a nice change.

The "I hid your Reed armor cause you called me stupid" note is pretty funny, and good puzzle intro.

The rock daemon puzzle is very clever and unique.
So far, my least favorite thing is:
SpoilerShow
I started the Mod with new characters: 3 Heavy Weapons users, and 1 Caster. So far, just about every weapon is a Light Weapon (including secrets and buried treasure), and the only Heavy Weapons I have found are 2 Ogre clubs early on. So my 3rd Heavy Weapons user is running around with a dagger. I found a Pick Axe after an hour of playing, but their damage/accuracy ratio isn't too good so I left it behind.

If I had went with Light Weapons, Firearms, or Missle Weapons then there's plenty of weapon support. Heavy weapons could maybe use some love. Perhaps letting at least 1 2-handed wooden staff at the beginning? They are wood and can maybe pass through the barrier shield!
Thanks for making this, I plan to stay up all night playing lol
eLPuSHeR

Post by eLPuSHeR »

Started playing it yesterday. Your mod seems awesome. I am pleasently surprised so far. 8-)
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
ian363

Post by ian363 »

Azel wrote:I'm at 3 hours playtime right now, and very impressed with your approach to game design. It has a nice blend of pure dungeon crawler mixed with a pleasant open-world. I really like the integration of land-based story and puzzles alongside underwater areas. For comparison, in the original Grimrock 2 campaign, going underwater always felt (to me) like just "an extra thing to do." It was needed for a quick secret or puzzle, yet mostly separate from the main storyline. In your mod, the underwater areas are actually vital to the story...

So far, my least favorite thing is:
SpoilerShow
I started the Mod with new characters: 3 Heavy Weapons users, and 1 Caster. So far, just about every weapon is a Light Weapon (including secrets and buried treasure), and the only Heavy Weapons I have found are 2 Ogre clubs early on. So my 3rd Heavy Weapons user is running around with a dagger. I found a Pick Axe after an hour of playing, but their damage/accuracy ratio isn't too good so I left it behind.

If I had went with Light Weapons, Firearms, or Missle Weapons then there's plenty of weapon support. Heavy weapons could maybe use some love. Perhaps letting at least 1 2-handed wooden staff at the beginning? They are wood and can maybe pass through the barrier shield!
Thanks for making this, I plan to stay up all night playing lol
Thanks Azel
SpoilerShow
The problem with heavy weapons is most are rather powerful for the start of the game. I put the cudgel right at the beginning to as the starter heavy weapon. At the lakes you only really need the harpoons and once you've done there you can get into the castle grounds dungeons. Then you will find what you want.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Thanks for the info :mrgreen:
SpoilerShow
I missed the cudgel somewhere! lol