Goromorg and Scavenger Sound replacement

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dunkler

Re: Goromorg and Scavenger Sound replacement

Post by Dunkler »

Isaac you are right.

But i should have mentioned that i will never give my mod to the public. I only share it with RL friends because i am also using music from other games.

If i will ever give it to the public i will either remove those sounds or replace them with sounds of a friend of me who makes music.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Would still be cool if the original owners give permission to use those sounds. I bet they would! But custom sounds are fun too :mrgreen:
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

well well well ,certainly a lot of selfproclaimed e-lawyers coming out of the closet these days, how about these types focus a bit more on actually producing something (creative, i might add) themselves, instead of bitching about other folks activities and thusly alienate all new and/or aspiring asset generators, cuz looking at current state of affairs...there is enough of an asset generator drought as is. :roll:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

odinsballs wrote:well well well ,certainly a lot of selfproclaimed e-lawyers coming out of the closet these days, how about these types focus a bit more on actually producing something (creative, i might add) themselves, instead of bitching about other folks activities and thusly alienate all new and/or aspiring asset generators, cuz looking at current state of affairs...there is enough of an asset generator drought as is. :roll:
That's not a good way to ask them to do so, and expect them to include permission for anyone else to use their work.

*But do you disagree with them having the right to not be robbed, if they chose not to allow reuse of their custom assets? If not, I think that's a good way to get really cool videos of mods that never get uploaded publicly.
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

Isaac wrote:
odinsballs wrote:well well well ,certainly a lot of selfproclaimed e-lawyers coming out of the closet these days, how about these types focus a bit more on actually producing something (creative, i might add) themselves, instead of bitching about other folks activities and thusly alienate all new and/or aspiring asset generators, cuz looking at current state of affairs...there is enough of an asset generator drought as is. :roll:
That's not a good way to ask them to do so, and expect them to include permission for anyone else to use their work.

*But do you disagree with them having the right to not be robbed, if they chose not to allow reuse of their custom assets? If not, I think that's a good way to get really cool videos of mods that never get uploaded publicly.
oh yeah you , i remember you, cant say i care much about any of your babbeling, cuz its Always the same wannabe e-lawyer shtaco coming outa yer piehole, and as far as mods often not being released goes, weasly little snitching worms are still the nr 1 cause o that to happen.
u know, ..... the repugnant little parasite types whome quickly dl assets for themselves and then quickly report ,(like the brownosed little a-whipes those types o folks are)
so ease up on your e-lawyer stance and go do somethin productive....u might like it
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

odinsballs wrote:...
I think that you have confessed your age; certainly you've confessed your ethics. :(

That is not an e-lawyer stance (whatever that is), that's common decency and respect for others.
(It's also being able to appreciate the shame of taking someone else's work without permission.)
minmay

Post by minmay »

odinsballs wrote:
Isaac wrote:

oh yeah you , i remember you, cant say i care much about any of your babbeling, cuz its Always the same wannabe e-lawyer shtaco coming outa yer piehole, and as far as mods often not being released goes, weasly little snitching worms are still the nr 1 cause o that to happen.
u know, ..... the repugnant little parasite types whome quickly dl assets for themselves and then quickly report ,(like the brownosed little a-whipes those types o folks are)
so ease up on your e-lawyer stance and go do somethin productive....u might like it
Dude, just let it go. You got caught stealing assets and claiming them as your own, end of story. You're the only one who even brings it up anymore, and by doing so you're stopping people from ever regaining a modicum of respect for you. If you just stopped talking about it (or apologized but that's never happening lol), the community might accept you again someday.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

Dude, just let it go. You got caught stealing assets and claiming them as your own, end of story. You're the only one who even brings it up anymore, and by doing so you're stopping people from ever regaining a modicum of respect for you. If you just stopped talking about it (or apologized but that's never happening lol), the community might accept you again someday.[/quote]

quit whining about that bloody bethesta toadstool already, it were a placeholder just like some of the other deco's, but i suggest you stop calling me a thief cuz i stole nuthin from no stinkin comunity, or anyone's personal created assets, those things that came from a different comunities contributions were mentioned as such, but apparently you daffodil's have trouble reading things, or your ego only only allows you to interpretate your own tunnelvision as ultimate truth, anyhoo enough of this nonsense..let this thread get back on topic, and my apologies to the op for this little intermezzo ( not those other two buttheads though, they can take a flying leap of a tall building afaik)
Azel

Post by Azel »

So much anger from the "minmay corner" yet things don't always add up. No personal attacks in this post, I guarantee it!

We have all listened to minmay attack people for creating LUA that he doesn't like, or publishing Mod's that don't meet intellectual property agreements. But take look at the 3 minute mark of this Myst video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg950CIryJA

Those ornaments (metal arrows through a metal sphere) can be found in minmay's LoG 1 Mod (with slight modifications). I hadn't noticed it until I replayed Myst recently. Granted, minmay modified them ever so slightly, but it doesn't make it any less unethical, does it? Also, minmay's ReadMe file for his LoG1 Mod only states that items are in the public domain, he doesn't actually site the sources, which violates the agreement of Nexus Mods:
Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?a ... boardrules

None of minmay's sources are cited, he just "says" that they are in the public domain. Shouldn't someone report his Mod and have it taken down? It's a clear violation afterall.

Also, I think it's important to note that in this thread, minmay did not threaten to report Mod's using the sounds in question due to legal reasons; he clearly stated that he would do it because he doesn't like Mod's using "terrible sounds." That is an attack on personal preference, which he enjoys doing weekly, and the community openly allows it. I assume minmay is allowed to be cruel to others because he's the only one who memorized the Scripting Reference.

Personally, I would rather see the community help each other out, not ridicule each other and make threats. But until someone steps in and lets minmay know that "he is not grimrock," I fear that the modding community will continue in its current stagnant growth. I mean, if the only hope for this community is playing mod's released by minmay, approved by minmay, published by minmay, designed by minmay, produced by minmay, etc... well, good luck with that I guess.

I know I have made some good connections with members of this community, although most of it is privately via PM; and plenty of people have a lot to say about how minmay treats members of this community. Unless others start speaking up publicly instead of via PM, then the idea of truly open and fun collaboration within Grimrock is going to continue to fade. I think this game deserves better than the stranglehold one forum poster is trying to have on the community.
minmay

Post by minmay »

That's an interesting find. I never played RealMyst, only the original. I don't think the game had any significant influence on me (it was long ago and I don't even remember those ornaments). The figurines in Lost Halls of the Drinn are built from Blender geometric primitives, except for the arrow figurines, which are built from said primitives and the arrow model in the Grimrock Asset Pack. "Torus knot on a stick" is not copyrightable. If I used the specific models from RealMyst at any point it would be an issue, sure.
READ THIS BEFORE USING ANY ASSETS.txt notes that asset pack content is used in these models. In fact, none of the models in the mod use anything copyrightable except for the asset pack resources (which are credited); it's all geometric primitives.
Azel wrote:Also, minmay's ReadMe file for his LoG1 Mod only states that items are in the public domain, he doesn't actually site the sources, which violates the agreement of Nexus Mods:
Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?a ... boardrules

None of minmay's sources are cited, he just "says" that they are in the public domain. Shouldn't someone report his Mod and have it taken down? It's a clear violation afterall.
If the work is in the public domain, then no credit is appropriate credit. I suppose I could credit Archimedes, but I see little chance of that making a difference.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.