Editor crashes on Mac

Have trouble running Legend of Grimrock 2 or do you have questions about the purchasing options? Look for help here.
petri

Re: Editor crashes on Mac

Post by petri »

Dr.Disaster wrote:As stated above i disabled the Steam overlay from interacting with both games before retesting.
Without the overlay the editor behavior remains unchanged for 10.10.3 using the latest Steam client. Once the screen corruptions starts with the editor window ("Open Project" + green button) it just needs a few more clicks into the editor window to crash it.
To clarify, I think there are two unrelated issues: 1. The Steam overlay issue, which causes the Steam overlay to appear in the File Open dialog and thus crash the overlay renderer. This seems to happen reliably on all OS X 10.10.3 systems. 2. The screen corruption issue. This I haven't been able to reproduce on my 10.10.3 test system. This might be a driver issue because it does not seem to be happening on all systems, but of course it's just a theory.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Screen corruption happens for me with 10.10.3's native nVidia drivers (after update to 10.10.3 from 10.10.2) and with nVidia's 10.10.3 drivers from their website (on a fresh installed 10.10.3). Both drivers identify my GPU as nVidia GeForce GTX 760.
alois

Post by alois »

Running 10.10.3 with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 card I have no problems (apart from the Steam overlay one), so maybe it is card/driver-related?

Alois
petri

Post by petri »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Screen corruption happens for me with 10.10.3's native nVidia drivers (after update to 10.10.3 from 10.10.2) and with nVidia's 10.10.3 drivers from their website (on a fresh installed 10.10.3). Both drivers identify my GPU as nVidia GeForce GTX 760.
Does it crash randomly or always?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

petri wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:Screen corruption happens for me with 10.10.3's native nVidia drivers (after update to 10.10.3 from 10.10.2) and with nVidia's 10.10.3 drivers from their website (on a fresh installed 10.10.3). Both drivers identify my GPU as nVidia GeForce GTX 760.
Does it crash randomly or always?
Sometimes it crashes right away i.e. when i go for "Open Project" very quick.

In case "Open Project" does not immediatly crash the editor with "C++ Exception" it can stand a few clicks onto the window buttons and/or editor buttons. Clicking the windows buttons will cause screen corruption. The editor buttons do nothing anymore which confirms the editor is frozen and when i keep clicking into the editor window it will always crash sooner or later resulting in those too-long-to-post crash reports.

What i can do after screen corruption/editor freeze is use the "File" menu options and do everything there i.e. "Close Project" or go back to the main menu which works most of the time. Trying "New Project" after an "Open Project" editor freeze can even unfreeze the editor. Now that won't help with editing of already present projects because trying to re-open them again freezes the editor again.
petri

Post by petri »

Okay, I've just uploaded a new OS X build (2.2.6) to mac_beta branch in Steam. It uses a custom file dialog instead of the OS X system dialog. The overlay bug at least should be gone now. Could you please retest using this build?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The LoG 2 editor is stable again with 2.2.6! Can't get it to crash and i tried newly made+saved projects, already present projects, with and without Steam overlay in use. Also no more screen corruption. Seems it was the OS-provided "Open Project" dialog.

Now you'd also need to do this for the LoG 1 editor and all Yosemite users should be fine again.

posted from my Hackintosh
petri

Post by petri »

Thanks for testing! I'll push this to the main branch later this week.
Stix_Remix

Post by Stix_Remix »

Any update on this issue for Log 1?

I noticed that the Dungeon Editor will also freeze/crash when trying to change the save destination of a new dungeon. So it looks like the error has something to do with the OS X dialog window.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)