Level 4 entrance lurkers

Talk about anything related to the iOS version of Legend of Grimrock 1.
microbehunter

Level 4 entrance lurkers

Post by microbehunter »

Hi, I've already tried to research this a bit, so these mushroom monsters (lurkers I guess they're called?) finish me off within about 15 seconds upon entrance to level 4. I've probably spent several hours on this problem, but they just seem to move so fast that I barely get a couple attacks in before being poisoned to death. I do understand that I need to move around, but get chased down before I can mount a good offense. I'm not one to give up easily, but so discouraged by this as I do like the game but seem way too overmatched for these guys. Is it possible to change difficulty setting mid-game? Or could the powers that be at least allow one to back up through the gate to recover? I've been able to get through the previous puzzles with some hints, but this one just seems light-years from being achievable.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Level 4 entrance lurkers

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Sorry, difficulty setting can't be changed mid-game.

Those large mushrooms are called big herders. As soon as they walk right beside you (or you walk beside them) they will attack with a poison cloud you don't want to sit inside so: keep moving!

Once you step into that 3x5 arena you have to win the fight to escape. The best strategy is to not get cornered and keep your distance. In case you got no form of ranged combat go hit and run: let one of them approach, hit him with melee before he casts his cloud and move away. Keep concentrating on the same herder to get him down asap. Once one is down the other one is a cakewalk.
microbehunter

Re: Level 4 entrance lurkers

Post by microbehunter »

Wow.. thank you so much for such a fast and helpful reply! Took a LOT of tries, but the hit and run tactic (while trying to focus on just one) finally did it for me. Granted, I had only my minotaur left alive - and <10% alive at that- but was able to return to life crystal on level 3 and bring the rest back. Thanks again!