Isle of the Deranged - Revision 1.1

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
marten_1992

Re: Isle of the Deranged

Post by marten_1992 »

@Slayer82 - your mod is big !
my playtime I cannot say in the moment because I had to start new
I was trapped in eastern Zhaoze without having solved the rapier puzzle and also missing the underwater weapon, I saw no way back so I give it a whole new try now
- thx for the hint, I ll try it at once ;)
bregdan anweald gafeluec ...
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Dr. Disaster - I have various tilesets included, but only used some. I should have taken some out, but knowing my current errors I’d end up taking some out and it’ll crash upon download. :)
I made this mod in the vein of a larger adventure, rather than a claustrophobic dungeon-crawler.
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Okay, this time I made map notes:

Cursed Dungeon:
1. Is there is a second skull key to be found in Cursed Dungeon I missed it (I want to save the skull key I found above)

Beach:
1. East of the 3rd rapier statue in Beach map there is a lockpick in an area with a tree I can't reach
2. I have no clue what the pressure plate southeast of there (north of the rapier chest) does. Because of its message doesn't it work at all?
3. I got the harpoon very late after exploring the whole beach for the 2nd time. The merman that dropped it was at the NW corner
4. There's an inactive teleporter at the south
5. There's a message about digging where bugs flew. I found nothing at the spot where the mine key lay.
6. I can't open the bars near the bear skull helmet as I have no clue what to put into the wooden alcove
7. Nearby up there's a sack with a power gem that can't be reached as a tree is blocking it

Grimwren Woodlands:
1. At the southeast corner I can't open the trapdoor. The big switch nearby on an elevated space does that operate it or does it remove bars of the block puzzle northwest?
2. The pressure plate in the water does that open the bars near the brass lock?
3. north of the water the pressure plate lights up one of the block locations? And the switch east from it drops one of the block bars?
4. Excavation entrance is barred and i couldn't find a button for it. Does it open from the other side?
5. I also don't know how to close the trapdoor in front of the earth essence altar (I know I will get there later by teleporter)
6. At the northeast corner a message of a skull lock I can't find. Area with chest can't be opened?

Greater Grimwren Woodlands (only just entered it):
1. At the north side I don't know how to keep the bars down beyond the spike traps. Also I can't get into the upper area with wooden doors or the turtles spot
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Cursed Dungeon -
1. Yes

Beach -
1. There is not.
SpoilerShow
Opens a teleporter to the West of the Main Beach
Look for it. This is the third time I've told you that some secrets are clearly visible, while others are not.
3. Good work!
4. Read the others posts that both I and other forum members have posted.
5. The message is purposely ambiguous. It doesn't talk about important quest items.
6. Search the whole game, read scrolls, letters, statues, and texts. They actually explain vital mission points.
7. You'll discover that later.

Grimwern Woodlands -
1. It's a secret unto another secret. If you're good enough you shall discover it. ;)
2. No. The pressure plates involve a secret...
3. No.
SpoilerShow
It's a secret button in the north-west that activates them. /spoiler]
4. Look around the immediate area.
SpoilerShow
Look for a button close to the entrance.
SpoilerShow
You do that in the Excavation Site (down below Grimwern)
SpoilerShow
Go south-west to pull the lever for the north-west gate. The Skull Lock is in that area.
Greater Grimwern -
1. Look around and you'll find the answer. Once you do, then you can attempt to solve the puzzle and reach the Turtles.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Beach 1: On closer inspection it's a shuriken I can't reach. It is just right of the right pilar next to the 3rd rapier statue. I can't remember ever throwing shurikens there to fight...

hansbleeb

Post by hansbleeb »

thanks for this fantastic mod..
i missed some secrets but i have ended it sucessfully

http://s137.photobucket.com/user/bliepe ... 8.png.html

https://youtu.be/3jr1Avkfg6s
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Hansbleeb, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
While some of the secrets are simple, the others are harder to find; although, 24/35 is a solid effort. Regarding the final scene, there is a final action you can do right before you enter the ending portal. You just need to walk around and search for it.

Also, thanks for the feedback. :)
Unkillable Cat

Post by Unkillable Cat »

I had a go at this mod (version dated Apr 26h) and I'm VERY impressed with what I've seen so far. I gave the mod an hour, and found 4 issues that need to be looked at:

1) The cage at the start. Your idea to open it is to have the player pick up a branch from the cage floor, equip it, and use it to smash open the door. The problem is that not only are the two branches hidden by the cage floor graphics, but they can be dropped OUTSIDE of the cage, where they will fall down to the ground, becoming unreachable. Game over, time to restart, and the party hasn't even had a chance to move yet! I'm sorry to say this, but this is redundant level design that does more harm than good. Change this.

2) The first note outside of the cage. The opening sentence reads: "You have been bought here..." Shouldn't that be brought here, or is there something in the story later on that explains that your party was purchased?

3) There are several places in the first map where the game slows down to a crawl if the "Shadow quality" graphic setting is set to high on my computer. The starting room, the room with the lava field under the floor just south of the starting area, and the room just southwest of that with the spike trap and the healing crystal are two good examples. I'm not that familiar with the LoG2 engine, but considering I played through the standard campaign with all settings maxed out without incident, this might be an indicator for a larger problem somewhere in the mod.

4) The "zoo" that is reached by falling down a pit from the first beach map. To enter it a pressure plate must be weighed down, and stepping on another pressure plate beyond the door closes the gate behind you. The problem is, a dagger is good enough for trigger pressure plates. This becomes a problem when you're standing on one plate and weigh down the other one, which closes the door, starts the "boss fight" inside with the party standing outside, UNABLE to get in as the plates are single-use.

I've also read this thread up to this point, and I'm seeing several other doors behaving similarly as in the example above. I get the feeling you may have to overhaul every single pressure plate in the mod to make sure that only the proper triggers work.

I'll keep an eye on this mod and try again after the next update. :)
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

1) I'm not changing this. Funnily enough I actually dropped the stick once too, but there's two there, and if the player drops them both then they can start again. It's the only time in the game in which this happens.
2) I thought I wrote "brought" but I obviously didn't. Good observation. FIXED
3) Good suggestion, but I'm not sure what I can do about this.
4) FIXED

I'm uploading a final release today.
Slayer82

Post by Slayer82 »

Version 1.3 - Final release -
SpoilerShow
- Changelog -
* Added new underwater weapon "Buccaneer's Blade"
* Added extra enemies
* Fixed minor issues
* Made two new tome types - "Tome of Gloom" and "Tome of the Learned"
* Additional room is now available in the Territory of the Aelenialen Masters area
* Made some Aesthetic changes throughout the world
* Changed/Edited over 100 various visual components
This is the final release of 'Isle of the Deranged'. Initially, the first release was supposed to be the last... Unfortunately, it was not.
I apologise for the extra updates as I was extremely busy when I first released it. I have checked the mod as best as possible, but now I'm confident it is perfect.
Thank you to all those who gave me constructive feedback. It has helped make the mod even greater. The final release - 1.3 - is again available form both Nexus Mods and ModDb.
I hope you all enjoy the ultimate and final version.