Isle of Dagor

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
Slayer82

Re: Isle of Dagor

Post by Slayer82 »

Cool, I didn't need to read them all as they were helpful hints.
I just assumed the elements were relating to something else.
Thanks for the hints, without spoiling it! :)

Now it's back to the mod.
Mods - Isle of the Deranged & The Allure of Nightfall
http://grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9513
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14762
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

Hi, I'm stuck.
SpoilerShow
in the upper catacombs i've come upon a room with 4 altars and lots of notes. Not sure what to do with the puzzle round the corner from there. Also in the lower catacombs I can't figure out the levers - they don't appear to do anything.
EnochDagor

Post by EnochDagor »

Hello Jaberwoke, thanks for trying my mod :)

Upper Catacombs - backstory - read if you have no idea where you are
SpoilerShow
The notes (and diary) are very important throughout the game. There are two puzzles around the corner. While it may not be immediately apparent, this is Ilius' study that he made for himself (the note in the Upper Catacombs told you about it which is actually a ripped out page from his diary). Ilius has described that the language is a little different. The next room is a learning tool (hinted by the Knowledge is Power message.
Upper Catacombs - the study - pit puzzle - knowledge is power
Hint 1:
SpoilerShow
Be sure to read all of the wall texts before pulling levers (don't worry if you already have, it just makes it easier to catch on before pulling)
Hint 2:
SpoilerShow
Try making sure that the Quiz/Sequence lever is Down. Then pull the other lever near it. Keep an eye on what changes.
Hint 3/Answer:
SpoilerShow
This is Ilius' way of teaching himself how to count in Du'Gai. When you pull the lever, look at the wall text and mark the word and then count the number of pits that are CLOSED.
The Study - Pit Puzzle Pt 2
Hint 1:
SpoilerShow
On the furthest wall, there is a wall text with words. How do those words relate to what is in the room?
Hint 2:
SpoilerShow
Perhaps there is something to do with the resulting pits based on those words
Hint 3/Answer:
SpoilerShow
Pull the number lever until Chea appears. Put items on the closed pits. Pull the number lever until Lod appears. Put items on the closed pits. Pull the number lever until Teth appears and then pull it one more time. The result should happen. If it does not, pull the lever next to the 'Chea and Lod' wall text to retrieve the items and try again.
Lower Catacombs Portal Puzzles
Hint 1:
SpoilerShow
There are four levers where you came in. But pulling them does nothing. Perhaps there's a way to 'activate' them?
Hint 2:
SpoilerShow
In the north, there are some pits. Perhaps this has something to do with it? Further, if you got past that, the levers may not be working still, perhaps you should start over with them by putting them back the way there were to begin with and then start over pulling them.
Hint 3/Answer:
SpoilerShow
Throw a rock over the two pits in the north to activate the levers. Then, ONE AT A TIME, pull a lever down to open the corresponding portal. If more than one lever is down, the portals remain active.
Hope that helps! :)

-E
Azel

Post by Azel »

Oh thanks for this! I was pulling my hair trying to figure this out.
SpoilerShow
I wrote down the difference between which were Open vs Closed, but didn't realize I was doing Math. I counted the Closed trap doors but kept thinking I needed to drop things down those that were Open. oops
For anyone else, here it is (numbers spoiler):
SpoilerShow
0 = Vo
1 = Kyi
2 = Voa
3 = Chea
4 = Yta
5 = Lod
6 = Zop
7 = Ril
8 = Fau
9 = Sro
10 = Teth
Last edited by Azel on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azel

Post by Azel »

Possible wall issue in Upper Catacombs?
SpoilerShow
In the Northwest section of the dungeon there is a room with a locked gate and a skeleton mob inside. Next to the locked gate is a wall with a lever. However, I was able to walk directly through this wall. Inside the room is the Shaman Staff, Repeater, and Cuisse of Valor.

It seemed odd that I could just walk through a wall that has a lever on it. Is this a bug?
Jaberwoke

Post by Jaberwoke »

EnochDagor wrote:Hello Jaberwoke, thanks for trying my mod :)

Upper Catacombs - backstory - read if you have no idea where you are
SpoilerShow
The notes (and diary) are very important throughout the game. There are two puzzles around the corner. While it may not be immediately apparent, this is Ilius' study that he made for himself (the note in the Upper Catacombs told you about it which is actually a ripped out page from his diary). Ilius has described that the language is a little different. The next room is a learning tool (hinted by the Knowledge is Power message.
Upper Catacombs - the study - pit puzzle - knowledge is power
Hint 1:
SpoilerShow
Be sure to read all of the wall texts before pulling levers (don't worry if you already have, it just makes it easier to catch on before pulling)
Hint 2:
SpoilerShow
Try making sure that the Quiz/Sequence lever is Down. Then pull the other lever near it. Keep an eye on what changes.
Hint 3/Answer:
SpoilerShow
This is Ilius' way of teaching himself how to count in Du'Gai. When you pull the lever, look at the wall text and mark the word and then count the number of pits that are CLOSED.
The Study - Pit Puzzle Pt 2
Hint 1:
SpoilerShow
On the furthest wall, there is a wall text with words. How do those words relate to what is in the room?
Hint 2:
SpoilerShow
Perhaps there is something to do with the resulting pits based on those words
Hint 3/Answer:
SpoilerShow
Pull the number lever until Chea appears. Put items on the closed pits. Pull the number lever until Lod appears. Put items on the closed pits. Pull the number lever until Teth appears and then pull it one more time. The result should happen. If it does not, pull the lever next to the 'Chea and Lod' wall text to retrieve the items and try again.
Lower Catacombs Portal Puzzles
Hint 1:
SpoilerShow
There are four levers where you came in. But pulling them does nothing. Perhaps there's a way to 'activate' them?
Hint 2:
SpoilerShow
In the north, there are some pits. Perhaps this has something to do with it? Further, if you got past that, the levers may not be working still, perhaps you should start over with them by putting them back the way there were to begin with and then start over pulling them.
Hint 3/Answer:
SpoilerShow
Throw a rock over the two pits in the north to activate the levers. Then, ONE AT A TIME, pull a lever down to open the corresponding portal. If more than one lever is down, the portals remain active.
Hope that helps! :)

-E
Brilliant. Will try without looking at your hint 3's. thanks ;)
EnochDagor

Post by EnochDagor »

Azel wrote:Possible wall issue in Upper Catacombs?
SpoilerShow
In the Northwest section of the dungeon there is a room with a locked gate and a skeleton mob inside. Next to the locked gate is a wall with a lever. However, I was able to walk directly through this wall. Inside the room is the Shaman Staff, Repeater, and Cuisse of Valor.

It seemed odd that I could just walk through a wall that has a lever on it. Is this a bug?
Good find. I didn't check that wall area for collisions. Dangit. Thanks! I'll have it fixed for my next release.

-E
Azel

Post by Azel »

No problem. It was fun getting all the free gear, thanks! lol

Found some other stuff that could be worth mentioning:
SpoilerShow
1) High Priest Tombs

The player enters from the North side. At the very first intersection (where there is a Pit to your left and right), if you fall down either pit you end up inside a wall in the Tomb Sub-Caverns. I only tested this at the first intersection; sorry I forgot the names on the wall text here.

2) Mall of Enoch

I have not yet solved the Philosophers Stone puzzle here, however, I did notice that the puzzle will reset under certain circumstances. At first, it seemed that the purpose of the puzzle is to push the stones vertically. I began noting which vertical combinations move the teleporter to a specific location. Then at one point I realized I could move them horizontally as well. But when I do that, I end up stuck and they never reset. Took a screenshot for funsies:

http://mystrock.com/images/PhilStone_01.jpg
Still a great Mod; currently my favorite and working hard to beat it :mrgreen:
EnochDagor

Post by EnochDagor »

Great out-of-the-box thinking. I thought I made the pit below the High Priest tombs big enough. I will make it bigger. :D

Edit: I see what I did. I made the arena first to encompass the area. Then added some obstacles and decorations... one of the obstacles in the landing spot. :roll:

As for the Philosophers Stone puzzle... never occurred to me someone would try to move them horizontally. Though, now that I think back its a 'duh' moment. That puzzle and the one you found with the wall were some of my first puzzles and I did not know all of the nuances of the editor and such at that time.

I will make these changes.

-E
Azel

Post by Azel »

Those "first puzzles" when starting out with a Mod will get ya every time. I still had to patch the altar scroll puzzle last week and it's such an easy idea. I have made way more complex puzzles than that, all of which are bug-free and virtually flawless. Yet that altar scroll puzzle was in fact the very first puzzle I ever tried to create in the Grimrock Editor. So no surprise that I'm still fixing it from time to time, lol

I will continue making note of anything I find. Speaking of...
SpoilerShow
I dont have the game in front of me right now so I forgot the map name. However, there is one small above-ground forest location, that begins with a ladder posted up against a Ruin Wall. It isn't until you place an object on a pressure plate that a Magical Bridge appears above the ruin wall, allowing the player to climb the ladder and stand above. Only a single magical bridge appears, and once the player stands on it, he must find another hidden pressure plate to throw an item on to. One by one magical barriers appear until the player solves the puzzle.

Well, I believe it is 3rd or 4th magical bridge that puts the player near the left edge of the ruin wall. If the player jumps down, they end up stuck behind the ruin wall without being able to escape. Unless I missed a secret exit? I had to Re-Load the game or be forever stuck in my 1x1 square. I can post a screenshot later if needed.
Last edited by Azel on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.