Disappointed

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
gh0stwizard

Re: Disappointed

Post by gh0stwizard »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
gh0stwizard wrote:There is no logic. I've found a scroll with dispell smth, special spell for elementals. But I do not want to waste skill points in Water magic (correct me if I am wrong).
wrong in so many ways ..

You
- found the Dispel spell scroll that deals with elementals
- deliberatly choose to ignore it
- kept ignoring it after facing air elementals

Regarding logic: assigning a single skill point that allows your spellcaster to deal with an otherwise untouchable foe is no waste.
Sorry, I disagree with you. Let's see:
- Is this game RPG? Yes.
- Is RPG means different ways to solve a quest/problem/dealing with mobs? Yes.
- Is this game possible to complete without any magician? Yes.
If I am wrong correct me. Just in case I even can't run away from this mobs.

Ok, I'll give an another chance to this game. I will try to find a solution without dispell scroll. If there is no such way - the game is more disappoints me than before.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Are there different ways to fight this monster? Yes.
Is it possible to fight it without any magician? Yes.
Did you found the way? No.
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

The Dispel scroll (a spell) is the first of two specific methods to dispatch air elementals.

The second specific method is the Ethereal Blade; a melee weapon you have very likely not found yet.

The third overall method works with any monster: frag them by either teleporting into or falling onto them. This it neither specific nor cheating and it can also be done in the area you encountered your air elementals.

The fourth method i mentioned are special attack spells build into two magic staffs. One of them is behind a gold key lock and the other one is at the end of the game.
Dhomochevsky

Post by Dhomochevsky »

Hi gh0stwizard, sorry for my english because is not my language. About your opinion on LOG2 i respect that but i have another. I try to explain why.
- Is this Skyrim? No, i'm playing now Skyrim and is not the same :lol: (a little joke) it's only a LOG1 with outdoor areas.
- Not well optimized? Mmm, i'm not sure about that. I have a really old computer (about 6 or 7 years) and my computer is under the minimum requirements and i can play. Ok, with low fps on specfic outdoor areas and low quality but... i have a very old graphic card and i can play. Perhaps if i have better computer and i have fps problems i can understand your opinion. With that i'm not saiying you are wrong but there are another post for that. It's only my experience.
- Complex skill tree? Not for me, please if you can explain that point a little more perhaps we can understand what is the problem you have on this area.
- Normal diffuculty is like Hard one in LoG 1? Not for me. On LOG2 you can find more bosses than LOG1, you are right on this point but mobs are basically the same, with more IA but for me this is good.
- Borring swimming? Mmm... i never think about that :D how we can do more funny this swimming?
- Guns? Guns?! yes guns, but on LOG1 you have bombs and at the end you can found
SpoilerShow
some mechanichals creatures and a weapon to destroy the cube
after that, what is the problem with guns?
- Invincible monsters? No, you are wrong on this point. My first time playing LOG2 i have the same problem but simply avoid this monsters until i discover the solution.

I stuck some times on LOG2 on my first aproach, more than LOG1 and was a little disappoint for me too. I need more than 60 hours to complete the game. For example i discover racial foods on my third attempt :lol: :lol:
I'm not trying to tell you "You are wrong, LOG2 is a great game without fails...." etc. Like i say before i respect your opinion, seems you don't have the best first time with LOG2.

If you find disappointing this game sorry about that. I hope you can find more funny on LOG3 ;)

Sorry for my english (another time :oops: )
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I have to agree on some points, but I think LoG2 is a major improvement. I really hated the LoG1 end boss and the hidden buttons of LoG1 were impossible to find at times. The firearms were a disappointment and I was hoping to find an unlocking single player option. There is no 'swimming' but a mere walking under water. Also under water only the difficult-to-get harpoon is effective fighting mobs. I love the elevation in LoG2 and its outdoor scenery. I compared farmer vs fighting experience and being a farmer to raise levels quickly is only effective with loads of food. At the end the farmer is behind in skills. I have a high end iMac and it played good. No glitches! The only lag hurting me was firing a meteor spell and side stepping. You really have to wait a second before side stepping or you get damage. Pertrification, poison cloud and boxed in is a Game Over. If you compare the diificulty between LoG1 and LoG2 it is not as impossible as DM vs CSB.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

you have quite interesting opinions. I am reacting just from reason I do not like topic named: Disappointed :d

Is this Skyrim? Ok.
this is not skyrim

Not well optimized? Ok.
agreed

Complex skill tree? Ok.
not sure what you mean. Who say something about complex tree ? It is very similar to Log1, maybe even worse in some aspects, but at least player can choose from more skills.

Normal diffuculty is like Hard one in LoG 1? Ok.
not sure what you want say.

Borring swimming? Ok.
not sure what you want to say. I like how water was done in general.

Guns? Guns?! Ok.
Generally I don't like guns in RPG as well, but on the other side I think no serious harm was done. No laser guns like i wizardry or Might/Magic...I think thematically no reason to complain, although in general firearms are quite useless

Invincible monsters? WTF!?
you are wrong in this
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Drakkan wrote: Not well optimized? Ok.
agreed
While there is always room for improvement AH actually did a LOT of optimization. A simple comparison of the oldest available and current benchmarks taken shows me this.

Taken last october with the beta-2.0.18 benchmark option enabled

Code: Select all

start      (19,29,0,0,31): 60.0 fps (16.7 ms)
twigroot   (13,29,0,0,19): 44.9 fps (22.3 ms)
river      (2,9,1,0,22): 30.0 fps (33.3 ms)
swamp      (1,13,1,0,33): 52.5 fps (19.0 ms)
hamlet     (14,0,2,0,6): 39.5 fps (25.3 ms)
mine       (2,19,1,0,16): 43.6 fps (23.0 ms)
ruins      (5,16,1,0,8): 54.8 fps (18.2 ms)
sewer      (15,16,2,0,7): 49.6 fps (20.2 ms)
tomb       (20,12,3,0,3): 60.0 fps (16.7 ms)
catacomb   (1,28,1,0,14): 35.0 fps (28.6 ms)
Revisited today with 2.2.4

Code: Select all

start      (19,29,0,0,31): 60 fps (16.7 ms)
twigroot   (13,29,0,0,19): 57 fps (17.4 ms)
river      (2,9,1,0,22): 50 fps (20.2 ms)
swamp      (1,13,1,0,33): 57 fps (17.5 ms)
hamlet     (14,0,2,0,6): 48 fps (21.0 ms)
mine       (2,19,1,0,16): 60 fps (16.7 ms)
ruins      (5,16,1,0,8): 60 fps (16.7 ms)
sewer      (15,16,2,0,7): 60 fps (16.7 ms)
tomb       (20,12,3,0,3): 60 fps (16.7 ms)
catacomb   (1,28,1,0,14): 60 fps (16.7 ms)
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Drakkan wrote: Not well optimized? Ok.
agreed
While there is always room for improvement AH actually did a LOT of optimization. A simple comparison of the oldest available and current benchmarks taken shows me this.
from main campaign perspective I can only agree - optimization should be quite ok and I know AH improved it a lot. However from modder perspective it just sucks. Currently we are limited not only in size of the mod, but also from using custom tilesets etc... and this is confirmed reality, not just complaint :(
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Drakkan wrote:However from modder perspective it just sucks. Currently we are limited not only in size of the mod, but also from using custom tilesets etc... and this is confirmed reality, not just complaint :(
Well those are the ties to the 32-bit Windows world. With WinXP still being the second biggest player in desktop OS's - about 17% behind Win7's 58% - it would be a rather large market to give up by a developer.

Of course AH could opt to add a 64 bit version yet i doubt it would be as simple as re-compiling the game.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Drakkan wrote:from main campaign perspective I can only agree - optimization should be quite ok and I know AH improved it a lot. However from modder perspective it just sucks. Currently we are limited not only in size of the mod, but also from using custom tilesets etc... and this is confirmed reality, not just complaint :(
What do you mean?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.