grimrock.net offline

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Frenchie

grimrock.net offline

Post by Frenchie »

Finally after a full day it is back online just when I was playing a custom LoG1 dungeon ORRR1 with hints only in the forum. Except for Anti's snake game I finished all.

I'm just wondering if the site is offline where to go for news? All the known twitter accounts (petri, olli and antti) don't mention a thing, nor facebook. Now also no mention of it in the forum why it was offline. I refuse to believe Asia was cut off from the site as I also tried an American proxy.
Last edited by Frenchie on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Disaster

Re: grimrock.net offline

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I guess it was a server migration (the webside's ip changed) not going too well by amazon.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I guess it was a server migration (the webside's ip changed) not going too well by amazon.
That's the point. We're guessing and no announcement whatsoever. Okay, it's not the end of the world, but annoying to be in the dark. At least mention something on a twitter account...
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Frenchie wrote:
That's the point. We're guessing and no announcement whatsoever. Okay, it's not the end of the world, but annoying to be in the dark. At least mention something on a twitter account...
As far as i can tell it was an internal migration from an amazon site to another amazon site. I doubt AH had any info regarding this.
antti

Post by antti »

There was something very weird going on with our server over at Amazon. At some point during the sat-sun night (in our timezone) the CPU of our server instance shot to 100% and stayed there. Restarting the instance didn't help but stopping and then starting it did the trick. When starting/stopping, the instance is moved to an altogether different physical server (which also changed the IP) so I suppose there probably was something wrong with the actual server (as opposed to our instance alone).
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Okay, thx for the info. Is the Amazon server in Finland as well? How would a malfunctional server affect AH? Is it only the web site that is hosted there? I just got a script error visiting gog.com
antti

Post by antti »

The server is located in the US. Only our website (basically everything under grimrock.net) is hosted there so if anything happens to the server, it won't affect anything vital.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

It happend in Holland as well. ALot went down including our goverement ( haha)
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

The Netherlands are blessed with a very good internet infrastructure. Speeds go up without extra costs. There is choice between dsl and cable. And if internet is down you get extra time back. I don't know about the rest of Europe, Asia sucks big time...
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Holland had/has cable ( 4 mbit) since like 2003) The latency ( ms) was already 12 ms from west Holland to central germany and packet lost was as good as gone already back then.
I know first hand being a quake 2 player who used the old net code. The lag was totaly gone from my location ( west holland at the sea to a server in germany central)

Ye we are truely blessed with this internet.

Atm I've switched back to xdsl/adsl line Because its 10 euro a month and because 25 a 30 ms is still fine for todays games.( endless data) and the speed is 50/10mbit. I do not require 5 to 15 ms cable line.. Truely cheap<3

10 euro adsl line: 50mit down 10 mbit up. server 20 a 30 ms. Hardly packetlost.
Or 50 a 60 euro a month all in 1 cable viber. ( tv hd, 150mbit down, 20mbit up) and endless calling from home telephone. having 10 ms ish and unlikely to have any packetlost. I Do think its to pricy compered to a cheap adsl line, So i've killed my cable contract. I never watch tv, its all on the NET anyhows.