Contemporary and Scifi Firearms

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: Contemporary and Scifi Firearms

Post by minmay »

As in, did you import the file that contains that material definition you posted?
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Whoops! Yeah, that did it. I forgot to save materials.lua and then reload the dungeon. Doh! Thanks again.

here are screenshots confirming it works. Textures are godawful and theres some sort of problem with lighting them indoors, but oh well. I count that as implemented and will move on to a different weapon type to model, as my primary concern was getting things barebone workable.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
odinsballs

Post by odinsballs »

BuzzJ wrote:Whoops! Yeah, that did it. I forgot to save materials.lua and then reload the dungeon. Doh! Thanks again.

here are screenshots confirming it works. Textures are godawful and theres some sort of problem with lighting them indoors, but oh well. I count that as implemented and will move on to a different weapon type to model, as my primary concern was getting things barebone workable.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
as long as the models are uv mapped, i can help out with texturing them, have been doing a whole lotta that lately, and from the looks of the images they are fairly nice n simple to adjust, a little snip n paste here n there and it will look very different,
and i can even shlepp the fitting normal map on the texture''s (free demo version of crazybump gets all normals fixed nicely)
a decent normal map goes a long way in fixing lightning related visual oddities

so if ya need any textures done...lemme know, i will help out ;)
minmay

Post by minmay »

Virtually none of the items in the original game (LoG2 or LoG1) use normal maps. They should not be necessary for your items to be lit properly. If you are having lighting issues with a model the first thing I recommend is to scale it by -1 on all axes, rotate it back to its original orientation, and flip normals.
Also you nearly always want to generate the normal map from the high-poly version of your model instead of using things like CrazyBump. Those tools are mainly for when you don't have the high-poly version of the model for some reason, e.g. you only have someone else's model and texture.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

Okay. Here is an image of the superposed shotgun, a box of shotshells (its ammo), and a spent shotshell (currently a useless item, I am trying to work out how to generate them when the firearm is reloaded, to be used in an as yet unimplemented crafting system) see image below
SpoilerShow
Currently I am somewhat roadblocked on how to script custom itemcomponents. I can take default item types and mess with their variables, but I don't fully understand how the scripting language works and how to take the things from the log2 scripting resource and place them into scripts.

I searching through steam workshop and hoping somebody has already made custom items, and if I find something like that I can figure out the syntax, since I know what the variables are per the scripting reference.