Slow down the game

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck in Grimrock 2 or if you want to discuss about the mysteries of the Isle of Nex. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Frenchie

Slow down the game

Post by Frenchie »

Is it possible to slow down the game by a console script? For example you have a difficult timed puzzle and your reflexes are not that good. All my graphic settings are already at high settings.

There might be cpu speed tools like in Cheat Engine, but I haven't found one for the Mac yet.
minmay

Re: Slow down the game

Post by minmay »

I believe Grimrock 1 and 2 do have timescale variables, but they are definitely not exposed to the scripting interface. So no.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Do the opposite to the same effect...

Code: Select all

party.party:getChampion(1):upgradeBaseStat("cooldown_rate",100)
party.party:getChampion(2):upgradeBaseStat("cooldown_rate",100)
party.party:getChampion(3):upgradeBaseStat("cooldown_rate",100)
party.party:getChampion(4):upgradeBaseStat("cooldown_rate",100)
, better with 1 or 2 characters though as it has a big effect (or experiment with values)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7933
Last edited by Spathi on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Decreasing the party's cooldowns isn't going to help the original poster with timed puzzles...

By the way:
Frenchie wrote:All my graphic settings are already at high settings.
If you reduce the framerate enough, movement, animations, cooldowns, etc. will indeed slow down, but some things will not slow down proportionately, particularly timers. So a low framerate makes timed puzzles harder - or in extreme cases, literally impossible - to complete, not easier.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I was editing to.. Does not effect timed movements, but there is not that much hard about timed puzzles in log2... lol
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I remember a puzzle where I had to move from a placing a stone on a corner pressure plate and then quickly move through 2 closing gates. If you reaction time is not so good this is hell in a linear game. Also puzzles with opening pits give me a great difficulty. Timed movement in combination with turning and pressing switches or getting something from an alcove is very hard. You try to put your mouse cursor at the expected target spot and even then it's very hard.

If you ever played Baldurs Gate there was a stair where the steps appeared in front of you and disappeared behind you. You had to time your jump perfectly else you fell to your death. You also had to turn 90 degrees 2x to move to the second stair. And you had to do in at timed intervals else the step disappeared under you. For some a challenge, for others Hell.

I don't mind a challenge, but a puzzle should be fun. After 20x times I'm fustrated, pissed, swearing and I want to break something badly. No fun if you can't do it.

I asked the author of the Mac tool Bit Slicer to implement a speed option and he's working on it...

Return to “Gameplay Hints”