Creating Cinematics tutorial

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
antti

Creating Cinematics tutorial

Post by antti »

Hello everyone! Here's a guide on how to add videos to your mods: http://www.grimrock.net/modding/creating-cinematics/

Try it out and let me know if it works like it should! And take note of the bolded bit on the bottom of the guide too :)

Sorry that it took a while to get the tutorial up :D
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
JohnWordsworth

Re: Creating Cinematics tutorial

Post by JohnWordsworth »

This is pretty cool - thanks for taking the time to upload it.

As videos are typically quite large, is there any chance you can talk nicely to Valve and have the mod size for Grimrock increased to 150 or even 200Mb? I don't know if this is something that has just got bigger over time (Skyrim mods can now be 200Mb I think) and just requires a more recent SteamWorks API or whether it requires being nice to Valve and explicitly requesting it, but a bit more space for assets would be awesome.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
THOM

Post by THOM »

Question: Is it still possible to implement cinematics in the style of LoGI? I mean, just pictures, sound and text - structured by the old commands?
THOM formaly known as tschrage
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

thanks for this tutorial. But... is there any way you can transfer making an intro / ending from Log1 ? I mean just pictures with text etc. Making video is quite hard for many modders (speaking for myself at least)
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

A solution to this problem could a change in the editor so you export 2 dat files: dungeon.dat & audio-video.dat. An advantage to this would also be a smaller download for each updated mod version if the audio-video.dat remains the same.

As for video making it would be nice if we direct some of the monster model animations...
Last edited by Frenchie on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antti

Post by antti »

Drakkan wrote:thanks for this tutorial. But... is there any way you can transfer making an intro / ending from Log1 ? I mean just pictures with text etc. Making video is quite hard for many modders (speaking for myself at least)
Unfortunately no. During the hectic time when we were developing Grimrock 2, we didn't want to maintain the old system alongside the new one so support for it was dropped. :/
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Drakkan: I have plans to support a *very* similar syntax in GrimTK. I will obviously finish the dialogue system first, but I have a full day put aside for a combination of lounging around and working on GrimTK - I hope to finish the dialogue system and then add a cinematic system too :p.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Drakkan wrote:thanks for this tutorial. But... is there any way you can transfer making an intro / ending from Log1 ? I mean just pictures with text etc. Making video is quite hard for many modders (speaking for myself at least)
Seeing as the answer response is "no"... It really is the case that these slideshow style intros can be easily made as videos, and have incredible image compression as a free bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFYTfyY17Y

Once the video exists, then the cinematics tutorial shows how to convert it to the correct format.