Editor Tutorials on YouTube - part 14 is out

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Eleven Warrior

Re: Editor Tutorials on YouTube - part 12 is out

Post by Eleven Warrior »

Now I know I should not say this, but I cant help it F___ me that's so awesome Skuggs, that waterfall and house I cant wait to get my grubby hands on theses items lol. errrr and sorry about the Lang, I have played many RPG games and seen waterfalls but yours is a killer man good JOB. Soz mate imam outta KUDOS, ill go buy some for you ahy :)
Mal85

Post by Mal85 »

Amazing stuff there Skuggasveinn, I am impressed. That waterfall is quite brilliant looking and fits in very well with the surrounding landscape. I would love to see some smaller waterfalls from you as well for sewer type environments and the like. Once again excellent work!
zephyrpanthur

Post by zephyrpanthur »

I don't know if this has been pointed out, but your sudo boss battle timer function for the firetrap can be made MUCH simpler.

Code: Select all

function timerstep()
	if magma_golem_1.monster:getHealth() > 1 then
		magma_golem_1.monster:setHealth(magma_golem_1.monster:getHealth()-50) -- This gets the current health, and subtracts 50 from it. can be changed to different numbers. to make more ticks happen in small increments.
	else
		boss_fight_1.bossfight:deactivate()
		magma_golem_1.monster:die()
		timer_1.timer:stop()
	end
end
Of course you can put in a simple if statement to see if you have waited 2 or 3 ticks before it starts harming the creature. but this is the code I just tested with success.

Also, why do you have

die = true
in your code? it does nothing.
zephyrpanthur

Post by zephyrpanthur »

I like having it increment 1 hp at a time, but turn the timer to 0.025 for speed. it makes for a VERY smooth progress bar.
zephyrpanthur

Post by zephyrpanthur »

Here is a more complete version of it giving a 2 second delay before starting the countdown so you can witness the full bar being depleted. All information is gathered from the settings you have so no matter what interval speed you have the counter at, or how many hp you remove, it will always correct itself and work correctly.

startcountdown=false -- prevent timer from hurting golem immediately
ticks=0 -- set ticks to 0
ticksneeded=2/timer_1.timer:getTimerInterval(1) -- determine how many ticks needed until 2 seconds (the time it takes to display boss battle bar) is reached.

function timerstep()

ticks = ticks + 1 -- increment ticks

if ticks > ticksneeded then
		startcountdown = true -- start hurting after 2 seconds reached.
	end

if startcountdown == true then
		if magma_golem_1.monster:getHealth() > 1 then -- see if monster still has health
			magma_golem_1.monster:setHealth(magma_golem_1.monster:getHealth()-1) -- remove 1 health
		else
			boss_fight_1.bossfight:deactivate() -- end boss battle kill monster and stop timer.
			magma_golem_1.monster:die()
			timer_1.timer:stop()
		end
	end
end
Aisuu

Post by Aisuu »

I would like to thank you Skuggasveinn for all your tutorials. They are very helpfull and inspiring. :)

Any chance for another tutorial of creating simple animation, like in your winter set "rope ladder".

I was trying it myself, but it come out all weird or not working at all :(
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Thx Aisuu, glad they are of use.

Regarding animations, sure give me two or three days to set it up and lets make it happen.

I've been taking some models from the LoG1 town tileset I made and rigging them up for subtle animations, we could do a session on one of them.
I was hoping to do a modeling/animation tutorial with John's new MeshCraft since that would simplify the pipeline somewhat but I don't know how far out it is, so lets just do this and things will then only got more simple with better tools down the road.
The pipeline I have atm is fine, just a few extra steps, its Blender > FBX export > GrimFBX > GMT , here I end up with model and animation and I just use GrimAnimConvert on the animation to get it LoG2 compatible.

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
minmay

Post by minmay »

I'd like to plug bitcpy's Blender plugin. You can export directly from Blender to .model and .animation.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Aisuu

Post by Aisuu »

Awesome news :)

bitcpy plugin was first thing I tryed, but either I end up with weird model or animation. Little step by step tutorial would by sooo helpful :mrgreen:
Skuggasveinn

Re: Editor Tutorials on YouTube - part 13 is out

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Part 13 is out
http://youtu.be/b9h7nCI1rQk - Simple animations for a custom 3D object.

In this one we take a sign and create a looping idle animations for it.
The same method was used to create the rope ladder animations and the door animations found in the Winter Tileset.

Watching this again I saw that I made 2 big mistakes (I made many mistakes but 2 big ones :D ), I re-calculated the normals in the GMT but what I wanted to do was to re-calculate the tangents (I lost my smoothing group doing that, so just re-calculate tangents)
I also applied the wrong material on the object in the GMT, I applied mine_support but the texture I was using inside Blender was mine_door_frame.

I've been asked why I'm not using bitcpy's scripts for this, the answer is that I don't get consistent results with them, they have broken when I update Blender and other weirdness, so this tutorial is just showing how I do this, not claiming this is the best/easiest way of doing this, it's just the method that I use at this moment.
I don't mind using the GrimFBX and GrimAnimConverter, the FBX export is a solid standard and 2 or 3 extra steps in the pipleline mean nothing to me if it brings consistency to what I'm doing.

Hope this is of help, and as always just ask if my rumblings don't make sense.

kind regards.
Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.