[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers

Post by Isaac »

MaurineStarkey wrote:This looks great. I enjoyed seeing my original designs made to fit the Grimrock engine. If you have questions about the development of the game, I can help on the aesthetics. Let me know. I was the lead artist on Eye Of The Beholder III.

I did play Grimrock for a while and all the time was thinking how good it is.

Maurine Starkey
One of the other EOB (1 or 2 ?) artists posted on the blog about a two years ago or so. I liked the ghosts in the woods in EOB3. 8-)

**I'm sure that you noticed that the spiders [almost surely] came right out of the EOB series.
DJK

Post by DJK »

Lead artist on Eye 3 eh ... I have one question for you guys, WHY did you ditch that perfectly good engine from Eye 1 and 2 to go with that slow ass engine in 3.. ? I always wondered why... At first I thought it was because maybe the old eye 1/2 engine couldn't cope with large areas and you wanted really open areas in the third... but then I once used hex editing to get in that really huge empty space that fills the bottom of the level 12 map of Eye1 (u can't get there normally), and while nothing is there, it seemed to render just fine...
Leki

Post by Leki »

DJK wrote:Lead artist on Eye 3 eh ... I have one question for you guys, WHY did you ditch that perfectly good engine from Eye 1 and 2 to go with that slow ass engine in 3.. ? I always wondered why... At first I thought it was because maybe the old eye 1/2 engine couldn't cope with large areas and you wanted really open areas in the third... but then I once used hex editing to get in that really huge empty space that fills the bottom of the level 12 map of Eye1 (u can't get there normally), and while nothing is there, it seemed to render just fine...
Compare spell effects/lightening/monster animations, size of areas - engine was slow if you tried to play on the same machine as you played EoB1 and 2, but on - let me say 486DX2 it was ok and I enjoyed it (well it was ok on my 386dx and 4MB RAM as well - biggest problem was with memory and loading of spells during casting).
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Leki wrote:
DJK wrote:Lead artist on Eye 3 eh ... I have one question for you guys, WHY did you ditch that perfectly good engine from Eye 1 and 2 to go with that slow ass engine in 3.. ? I always wondered why... At first I thought it was because maybe the old eye 1/2 engine couldn't cope with large areas and you wanted really open areas in the third... but then I once used hex editing to get in that really huge empty space that fills the bottom of the level 12 map of Eye1 (u can't get there normally), and while nothing is there, it seemed to render just fine...
Compare spell effects/lightening/monster animations, size of areas - engine was slow if you tried to play on the same machine as you played EoB1 and 2, but on - let me say 486DX2 it was ok and I enjoyed it (well it was ok on my 386dx and 4MB RAM as well - biggest problem was with memory and loading of spells during casting).
I recall those days quite good. When EoB3 came out the 486DX2 was the best CPU you could get beside the very first Pentium. Back then I upgraded from 486DX-33 to 486DX2-66 because of the X-Wing expansions; they required an absurd boost in CPU-power to play ok and when a rather low-gfx game like EoB3 requiring the same kind of CPU to play just fine .. nope, there was and is no excuse to that. Memory-wise the game was rather tame and the then-DOS-common EMS was used for extended sound only.
strifecrafter

Post by strifecrafter »

Ah bummer,
I just recently discovered Grimrock while Googling around to see if anyone was remaking Eye of the Beholder, one of my all time favorite games - and stumbled onto this forum.
I bought the Grimrock 1 & 2 bundle via steam, although I will need to boot my Mac into Windows to run G2 someday when I finish G1...

Definitely sad that the development of this mod seems to have died, at least there doesn't appear to have been any github checkins in the in the past two years...

I still have my original boxed editions of the PC games - bought them all as soon as they came out - and especially loved EOB1 - even with the abrupt ending and single save game.

When EOB3 came out, I remember reading something online that the purchase of Westwood and Associates left SSI with the rights to the game titles - but not to the engine sourcecode, which required SSI having to cobble up their own to basically emulate EOB 1 and 2's behavior.

I remember the tremendous letdown that was Myth Drannor. While I have replayed EOB 1 and 2 many times over the years, I only ever played EOB3 once.

Jim
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

strifecrafter wrote:Ah bummer,
I just recently discovered Grimrock while Googling around to see if anyone was remaking Eye of the Beholder, one of my all time favorite games - and stumbled onto this forum.
I bought the Grimrock 1 & 2 bundle via steam, although I will need to boot my Mac into Windows to run G2 someday when I finish G1...

Definitely sad that the development of this mod seems to have died, at least there doesn't appear to have been any github checkins in the in the past two years...

I still have my original boxed editions of the PC games - bought them all as soon as they came out - and especially loved EOB1 - even with the abrupt ending and single save game.

When EOB3 came out, I remember reading something online that the purchase of Westwood and Associates left SSI with the rights to the game titles - but not to the engine sourcecode, which required SSI having to cobble up their own to basically emulate EOB 1 and 2's behavior.

I remember the tremendous letdown that was Myth Drannor. While I have replayed EOB 1 and 2 many times over the years, I only ever played EOB3 once.

Jim
There are a couple people interested in this.

I think more needs to be released about LoG2 before a project like that can progress.

:mrgreen: I'm the same way with the box.
Blacksky

Post by Blacksky »

Hey guys, I was just wondering, is anyone still working on the? I would love to know! If not I was thinking about maybe porting this to Grimrock 2 and having a go at continuing it. I was thinking about red granite walls instead of red painted ones. I think that may have been the original intention, but I'm not sure.

shadow161161

Post by shadow161161 »

:shock:
thomson

Post by thomson »

Blacksky wrote:Hey guys, I was just wondering, is anyone still working on the?
Not as far as I can tell. DJ did majority of this work, so you should ask him, but as for my (very small) contribution, feel free to do with it whatever you want.

If you want to port this to LoG2, you have my blessing. I'd like to ask you for one thing, though. You may be now full of optimism and eager to work, but be realistic. It is certainly possibly that you'll run out of steam some time in the future. Please organize your work in a way so others could carry on later. In particular, please keep the sources in some public place.

I think redoing the red sewer walls would be a big mistake at this time. What we already have is maybe not perfect, but good enough. On the other hand, we're missing all other wallsets, so doing one of those would be more beneficial.

See here: https://github.com/grimrock/eob1-waterdeep/wiki for a list of needed and completed assets.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
carlos2000

Post by carlos2000 »

Levels 1 to 6 should be playable now - let me know if you find any error that stops you from progress.
still not fine tuned, but puzzles, keys, special quests and ladder/stairs connections between levels are working

and as always if anybody knows how/willing to model few things like items or monsters - that would be great.