Grimrock 2 impossible for some?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Grim Reaper

Grimrock 2 impossible for some?

Post by Grim Reaper »

Just some honest feedback, I'm older and a wee bit disabled, my reaction times not are the quickest.

I love what's going on here and what the developers are doing, sure takes me back to my DM days and then some ... For what I'm about to say ..... I just know one certain Grimrock beta tester will hound me and berate me before this message is seen by developers, dont want to be cheeky, but I'd rather talk to the organ grinder than the monkey just now :)

What it is, I'm well into Grimrock 2 now and starting to beat my head against a proverbial brick wall .

I started the game on hard level at first and already read the level system in Grimrock 2 was harder than the first game, invested about 20 hours into it and gave up .... for the record I managed to complete Grimrock 1 without cheats eventually.

I've read hints here (Not spoilers) on when you are stuck and I've done everything suggested, went to other areas, build up my characters, on my second play on Easy now .... what a pussy I hear some of you say :)

Off the top of my head .... one character I chose should be strong, but always gets beat up first, another is always starving ... and yes I know what type of food he likes best :)

I know this game is non linier and can be approached in multiple ways and for feedback I actually managed to beat that Leprechaun Guy on first meet at HARD level quite easily, later when I gave up and started again on EASY he was much more difficult with same balanced characters .... I'm beginning to think there is something fundamentally wrong with the level balancing system here ... its damn frustrating to progress, find a difficult opponent, go somewhere else ... level up, go back again and finds he's (apparently) levelled up too but much more, its just back to square one.

Please dont get me wrong developers ... sure I've read some guys have completed the game, so it cant be impossible to do, but how many others are just completely stuck? and look at something else instead?

When they said Grimrock 2 was much harder than Grimrock 1, they were not kidding :)

I have the day one Steam pre purchased game BTW that must be in latest ver.

For me and speaking for myself only ... I'm concrete stuck, its not the puzzle solving that is beyond me, its the erratic levelling system.

Wonderful looking game though, hope I can one day see it all.
msyblade

Re: Grimrock 2 impossible for some?

Post by msyblade »

Don't be hard on yourself. Understand that there are so many people coming through here, that nobody (who matters) is judging you, for ANY questions or frustration. If you do get that feeling from some people, understand that hundreds of us read it, and think that the other guy is a jerk, not that you are a p**sy. I'm kind of hearing that you FEEL like people are berating you, AND feeling it's okay to do. That is not what's happening, please believe me. There are a couple of bad attitudes that happen to be the loudest, people are seeing it, and disapproving but choosing not to get involved (as you likely would if reading someone elses thread. I promise, a great many of us really, really want to help you, you have to tune out the rest!

Hope this helps. ;)
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
DannyAIC

Post by DannyAIC »

Beleive me it's MUCH harder than grimrock 1, you're not a "pussy" for thinking that. I've been basically choking it out barely on hard, with a ton of reloading. The leprecahun guy drove me crazy until I figured out what exactly to do. In grimrock 1 square dancing was much easier. Here enemies move so fast you're sometimes required to tank them, at least I am, although I keep hearing some players talk about how they're running through the game level 1 naked with a torch in their hand killing everything... :roll: :D Don't feel bad for having this opinion
minmay

Post by minmay »

I'm 99% certain that monsters don't level up, nor does their initial level depend on yours. But monsters that look the same could have different levels - I can think of at least one place where a monster has a lot less HP than you normally expect.
I'm working on a series of videos that will show how to reliably position Grimrock 2 monsters and fight them without getting hit, since I've noticed a lot of confusion about it.

In the meantime, you do have the option of cheating with the console if you find things too hard.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

Thanks

You make some interesting observations.

I'm really not here to whine or confront, just quite frustrated at Grimrock 2 and its a game I was so looking fwd to.

Sure there are some Uber gamers who have finished this, well boasted beta testers too :D , did the developers get casual gamers involved too? because that's where 99% of the market is, not Uber gamers.

To expand on what I've been saying ... and in all fairness this is not an issue testers of a high level might have found playing it at their level, they can breeze through things the average gamer (the market) finds difficult.

As said, even though I acknowledged early reports Grimrock 2 was a harder game than first one ... I still wanted a challenge, so started on hard, invested lots of hours, hit brick wall and gave up .... I'm well known for patience and started the game again at easy, got further using the only tip/spoiler to go level up elsewhere ... and there must be a bug, because it was easier on hard level!!!! I could hammer that first leprechaun guy on first hard level play fairly easily, on second start at full game, same stat characters (more or less) i was a good hour of solid game play to get past him again, but in some go back to areas I could see levelling up worked ... in this game it does not always seem to be the case though?

Maybe this is intentional, maybe its not? but switching from Hard to Easy should not make it more difficult in certain circumstances.

Dont get me wrong, ive played lot of hours on this now, and when it gets to a point you cant go fwd, even on easy ...its time to give up perhaps?

No problems on the logic side of things .... I'm a keen chess player and know how to think :) its progressing through the inevitable battles is the problem for me ... come to think of it, I cant remember when I got the chance to level my party up?

This must be a bug????

For the record ... I was a beta tester too, different arena in Flight Sim, but know the drill :)
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Grim Reaper wrote:I've read hints here (Not spoilers) on when you are stuck and I've done everything suggested, went to other areas, build up my characters, on my second play on Easy now .... what a pussy I hear some of you say :)
There is no reason to call you anything. When a player admits that LoG 2 Hard is actually too hard for him there is nothing wrong about it. There is a reason why right before release i posted this.

Yet i don't get in which way you are stuck. I mean: when it's not the puzzles the monsters should not be it on "Easy". From my experience monsters do scale a bit as the party advances, especialy respawns, otherwise revisiting early areas and one-shooting everything would be a bit boring.

Perhaps it helps when you tell the path/areas you did travel on Nex.
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

I'm a dungeon crawler vet and been on these forums since before LoG1 was released. I beat LoG1 on hard old school. I started 2 on hard with map since I knew it was bigger and didn't have time to map it myself this time. I found it too hard. I really wanted to see the whole game so I restarted on easy. I'm at the last boss now. To me the puzzles in 1 were harder than the puzzles in 2, especially the timed ones. Think the sword of nex pits or block 30 balls of light in 1 versus any puzzle in 2.

There shouldn't be any bugs that keep you from leveling your characters. If you level your characters right and give them the right equipment you should be able to face tank most enemies then heal.

Also, there is an item that will keep that one guy from being hungry any longer.

Keep at it and get the right party and you should be fine.
The FORCE is with me!!!
Anurias

Post by Anurias »

Couple things I'd like to say... games have multiple difficulty levels because different people like to play for different reasons or have different capabilities. Playing on easy because you can't progress on hard doesn't make you any less, after all it takes strength to look at people that judge based on the difficulty of a video game and tell them that you don't play by their rules, you play by your own. So play it on easy if that's what you need to do in order to experience the game. In the end, that's what it's all about anyway, experiencing the game.

Second, I don't think your game got harder on that fight when you changed from hard to easy... That leprechaun character is fairly unpredictable in what he does and when, so it's entirely possible that your first time through there you just happen to catch him just right to show him who's boss. Then on your second time through, he did something slightly different that ended up putting you off-guard and all of a sudden he had the upper hand. That can happen with any difficulty, it's just an AI thing. The differences between easy and hard more lay in things like how many hit points your enemies have, and how effective your stats are at things like absorbing damage and dishing it out. So in hard mode, stuff hits you more often and harder, while you hit less often and softer against enemies that have more health. The way the enemies move and fight you doesn't change, only their stats do.

So if something seems too hard, keep following that advice you got before about going somewhere else and coming back later because stronger characters can take more of a beating, and while you're at it, try to learn how the monsters fight, as that will help you to know what they are going to do before they do it so you can dodge like a jedi.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Anurias wrote:The differences between easy and hard more lay in things like how many hit points your enemies have, and how effective your stats are at things like absorbing damage and dishing it out.
Difficulty level doesn't affect either of those things.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
CHALLENGER

Post by CHALLENGER »

I am glad that at least someone post about it as i also feels the same. I am too a casual gamer who wants to play game for fun & not to be a pro gamer. I don't understand what happening to the gaming industries ? Is this some kind of trend going on ?

because games are becoming more & more harder this days & they don't giving the chance to player to advance their level by chopping low level re-spawning enemies which I am doing in old rpg games & then after some hours of repetitive game play I was feeling like god who can slay upper level enemies with few chops which is fun & its optional too. I mean if you are pro gamer then just don't repeat any level & follow that game as it is.

So make the enemies hard but I think re-spawning enemies is a good idea for casual gamers & You can make it re-spawning optional too like Iron man, Old School mode.