[ORRR3] One Room Round Robin 3 - Pre-Discussion!

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
JohnWordsworth

[ORRR3] One Room Round Robin 3 - Pre-Discussion!

Post by JohnWordsworth »

The ORRR was started by the legendary SpiderFighter with the One Room Round Robin 1 dungeon and taken to new heights by Diarmuid with the One Room Round Robin 2. With the launch of LOG2 I thought it a good time to start up a chat about what the ORRR3 might look like!

For those unfamiliar with the idea - the One Room Round Robin dungeons bring together modders new and old to create a fun and exciting dungeon. The core premise is that every designer gets a limited amount of space, so taking part is accessible to everyone - even if you've never modded before! A few of us have been chatting on Skype, and a very rough early idea is presented below...
  • Before we start, someone will sketch out a basic map with a couple of over-ground areas and a few underground areas. It will be split into rooms which can be claimed on a 'first come first served' basis.
  • As a rough starting point - the map could have around 2 out-door 'floors' split into zones about 14x14 squares big (and potentially 2 floors high in areas). Then there could be around 10-15 in-door areas (sticking with the classic 9x9x3 area) that will make up a couple of dungeons / other areas.
  • There's interest in having a loose, overall plot - so while you would be free to do what you like with your room, each area will have a theme and we might ask you to place an item in your room somewhere etc.
  • Apart from a definite start and end - the idea is to keep the world as open as possible. So most rooms in the middle area can be visited at any time!
  • In keeping with the previous ORRRs - there will likely be a deadline of 'a few days to a week' for each room. So that it actually gets finished! But you can obviously prototype your room before it's your turn with the Dungeon file.
That's about it really. Nothing is set in stone (nobody has committed to actually running it either). So, if you're interested - just say hello! If you've got ideas for the overall plot or things we could do in the mod, just post below. :)

Any and all ideas welcome. If you've never modded before, please don't worry! There are many friendly people to help you make your dream and doing just a single room is as much work as you want it to be (big or small!).
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Phitt

Re: [ORRR3] One Room Round Robin 3 - Pre-Discussion!

Post by Phitt »

I never took part in this, only played the first one (and liked it). I'd like to participate if you start a new one for LoG 2 (and now that I have my new hardware and LoG runs buttery smooth I look even more forward to modding it!).
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Cool to hear that you've got your new PC Phitt! Even more cool to hear that you're interested in joining in with the ORRR3 :). Can't wait to see what sort of things you will be able to cook up in the LOG2 engine!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
SnowyOwl47

Post by SnowyOwl47 »

Wait... So the one room round robin was just made by a bunch of people who had no clue what they were doing :P
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

I hope number 3 turns out just as fantastic as number 2.
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Ciccipicci

Post by Ciccipicci »

I can't miss ORRR3. Count me in as the past two ORRR :D
SnowyOwl47

Post by SnowyOwl47 »

JohnWordsworth wrote:The ORRR was started by the legendary SpiderFighter with the One Room Round Robin 1 dungeon and taken to new heights by Diarmuid with the One Room Round Robin 2. With the launch of LOG2 I thought it a good time to start up a chat about what the ORRR3 might look like!

For those unfamiliar with the idea - the One Room Round Robin dungeons bring together modders new and old to create a fun and exciting dungeon. The core premise is that every designer gets a limited amount of space, so taking part is accessible to everyone - even if you've never modded before! A few of us have been chatting on Skype, and a very rough early idea is presented below...
  • Before we start, someone will sketch out a basic map with a couple of over-ground areas and a few underground areas. It will be split into rooms which can be claimed on a 'first come first served' basis.
  • As a rough starting point - the map could have around 2 out-door 'floors' split into zones about 14x14 squares big (and potentially 2 floors high in areas). Then there could be around 10-15 in-door areas (sticking with the classic 9x9x3 area) that will make up a couple of dungeons / other areas.
  • There's interest in having a loose, overall plot - so while you would be free to do what you like with your room, each area will have a theme and we might ask you to place an item in your room somewhere etc.
  • Apart from a definite start and end - the idea is to keep the world as open as possible. So most rooms in the middle area can be visited at any time!
  • In keeping with the previous ORRRs - there will likely be a deadline of 'a few days to a week' for each room. So that it actually gets finished! But you can obviously prototype your room before it's your turn with the Dungeon file.
That's about it really. Nothing is set in stone (nobody has committed to actually running it either). So, if you're interested - just say hello! If you've got ideas for the overall plot or things we could do in the mod, just post below. :)

Any and all ideas welcome. If you've never modded before, please don't worry! There are many friendly people to help you make your dream and doing just a single room is as much work as you want it to be (big or small!).
If you allow me i'd join and make a room.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I should have posted sooner; (I knew this thread was coming). I'd like to do one too.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

count me in of course !
Due to teh editor possibilites hope there will be outdoor areas as well. so many possibilities.
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
THOM

Post by THOM »

Yes, I would like to join in, too.Have already a funny idea for a room.

BTW: How will we sort out, if someone has to do an inside- or an outsidepart? Just by asking? First come?

I want to do an inside-room. My ideas wouldn't work outside.
THOM formaly known as tschrage