Where to start drawing my map?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
killington

Where to start drawing my map?

Post by killington »

I started drawing my map for level 3 in a spot where I ran out of gridspace and had to redraw the entire thing. Does anyone know if I start in the middle if I'll have enough gridspace, or should I start where the stairs went down on the next map? I would know the answer to this if I started drawing on level 1, but alas I did not.
bryno

Re: Where to start drawing my map?

Post by bryno »

Just had a quick look and start the level 3 stairs in the same place level 2 go down dude.
jwdenzel

Post by jwdenzel »

Hi there

I am only on level 1 so far. Originally I started on the bottom of the grid, but the map ventured farther "south" than the gride, so I had to start over.

I think starting in the middle is your best bet if you are starting from scratch. Just my $0.02
schwa

Post by schwa »

I am struggling with this too. I started level 1 in the very middle, and assumed since the downward stairs were in the lower left, the next level would start from the lower left.

This is not the case.

I'm hoping they at least keep the stair location somewhat standardized. I don't like redrawing a map when there's no-way I could have known where to start.
killington

Post by killington »

bryno wrote:Just had a quick look and start the level 3 stairs in the same place level 2 go down dude.
Thanks for the info, but it looks like that info might not be very helpful based on the following 2 posts.
Aro

Post by Aro »

You cannot draw nice maps - because of teleporters --- so far I have wasted 8 blank maps and those are full of arrows, total mess, especially when I'm trying to map where pits are going.
But teleporters, these will fu*ck up any drawing...
killington

Post by killington »

Aro wrote:You cannot draw nice maps - because of teleporters --- so far I have wasted 8 blank maps and those are full of arrows, total mess, especially when I'm trying to map where pits are going.
But teleporters, these will fu*ck up any drawing...
I don't draw pits, and the only teleporters I've really seen so far that make it hard to draw are the level 4 teleporters, and I just drew those from the crossroads back inward towards the beginning of the "section". Map turned out fine, but once again, I went off the border a little.

Starting level 6 sometime tomorrow.
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

It's possible that the stairs up are indeed in the same coordinates of the related stairs down, but without the compass you can then draw in a different orientation?
I'm not sure since I tend not to use the compass, and end up redrawing a lot.
Ashtray

Post by Ashtray »

I must admit I cheated :oops:
I first started game with oldschool mode, but when I find out that my 1st level map goes out of gridpaper, I just started new game with mapping on. I only checked where starting place was and what orientation I started game.
I then corrected my paper map and continued my oldschoold mode game.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Ashtray wrote:I must admit I cheated :oops:
I first started game with oldschool mode, but when I find out that my 1st level map goes out of gridpaper, I just started new game with mapping on. I only checked where starting place was and what orientation I started game.
I then corrected my paper map and continued my oldschoold mode game.
Great idea, but you'd have to play the game both ways to continue to find staring squares for each level. :D

Personally, I start at the bottom center. If my map goes below the grid, I simply continue it on another piece of graph paper (as if it were one big sheet). No worries.

First post...been lurking over a month. Great to meet you all!