Please do something about the spiders :(

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Please do something about the spiders :(

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Dandy wrote:Would a spider without legs, be acceptable you think?
Spiders on Wheels maybe? ;)
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

That's a hard one, and there's no single answer to what would be enough. For example I have no problems with ants (Stonekeep ftw), and the biggest differences between an ant and a spider are their stereotypical behaviour, a missing pair of legs and the shape of the body. It's not how it looks like, it's what it represents. The best method is to change it to something completely different. A silhouette (example was posted by Isaac) still represents the original thing, and that might be too much for some. Probably wouldn't affect me at all, but I'm not wanting this only for myself.
SpoilerShow
\ o /
- O -
- O -
/ \
This could be enough to trigger the phobia.

@ @
\__/
This probably wouldn't.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Or even, a spider wearing a bunny mask.
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Dandy wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:
Or even, a spider wearing a bunny mask.
Now when we went to absurdities, 8 legged bunny would be hilarious! ;)
Geonjaha

Post by Geonjaha »

Gekkibi wrote:The spiders are the only reason why I'm not buying the game now. I'm hoping for a built-in option that would swap the spiders to something completely different (if nothing else, The Cow from Grimrock video) so that we (those who really don't like spiders) don't have to wait for a mod.

in b4 namecalling and that it's irrational to be afraid of spiders...
Namecalling and its irrational to be afraid of fictitious spiders.

Honestly though, I cant imagine this is a common problem. If it is, then a 'No Spiders Mode' is obviously needed for the options menu! :D
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I use to be afraid of red telephones, but over time I cured myself of the phobia by only buying yellow telephones.
Geonjaha

Post by Geonjaha »

Dandy wrote:I use to be afraid of red telephones, but over time I cured myself of the phobia by only buying yellow telephones.
I had that problem with Blue telephone boxes. Its why I cant watch Doctor Who, but for some reason the producers wont change the colour!
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Geonjaha wrote:
Dandy wrote:I use to be afraid of red telephones, but over time I cured myself of the phobia by only buying yellow telephones.
I had that problem with Blue telephone boxes. Its why I cant watch Doctor Who, but for some reason the producers wont change the colour!

Oh GAWD!!! good one. :D :D :D
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Assuming that Grimrock 2 has a console system and it's similar to the first, I'm sure there will be a couple of modders here that will be more than happy to provide a string you can enter to swap spiders for another creature (without having to wait for someone like the legend that is Komag to remake the game as a mod!).
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Gekkibi

Post by Gekkibi »

Geonjaha wrote:
Movies, tv series and comic books are bad examples because it's not possible to change something so that the change only affects some (few exceptions: subtitles and possible dub tracks). You would be right if you would have a different exe file for each different mouse sensitivity, screen resolution, and all of the permutations. That's not the case, is it.
Geonjaha wrote: Honestly though, I cant imagine this is a common problem. If it is, then a 'No Spiders Mode' is obviously needed for the options menu! :D
Arachnophobia is as common as colorblindness. Define "common". Majority? Absolutely not. Many potential customers? Definitely. The difference between colorblindness and arachnophobia is that a person who is colorblind can still be able to play (and enjoy) the game, assuming the game does not require you to distinguish certain colors from each other.
JohnWordsworth wrote:Assuming that Grimrock 2 has a console system and it's similar to the first, I'm sure there will be a couple of modders here that will be more than happy to provide a string you can enter to swap spiders for another creature (without having to wait for someone like the legend that is Komag to remake the game as a mod!).
But then spawned spiders would still be spiders, and that would be even a bigger shock because now you're having a false impression that there are no spiders around. Plus the method some used in Grimrock 1 despawned the spiders, removing them completely from the game. I doubt any of us would like to remove the challenge of fighting them.