Steam Pre-Download?

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
Jgwman

Steam Pre-Download?

Post by Jgwman »

Hey, I was curious if anyone at AH/on the forum knows whether we will be able to access a pre download for the steam version of the game before release? My internet's pretty terrible, so I was hopeful that this will be available.
Dr.Disaster

Re: Steam Pre-Download?

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Jgwman wrote:Hey, I was curious if anyone at AH/on the forum knows whether we will be able to access a pre download for the steam version of the game before release? My internet's pretty terrible, so I was hopeful that this will be available.
heheh good joke

Unless you're some super high and mighty press guy you'll have to wait like the rest of the planet.
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Jgwman wrote:Hey, I was curious if anyone at AH/on the forum knows whether we will be able to access a pre download for the steam version of the game before release? My internet's pretty terrible, so I was hopeful that this will be available.
heheh good joke

Unless you're some super high and mighty press guy you'll have to wait like the rest of the planet.
Hah dude you misunderstand me. Some Steam games let you DOWNLOAD the day before release. You still can't play it till release.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I know that.

AH is not a company like Blizzard that likes to shove people full-DVD-sized packages up their lines while the actual gameplay fits the size of a floppy. LoG 1 did fit a single CD. Even knowing that we'll get more tilesets and monsters (-> more gfx data) for LoG 2 don't expect it to be larger than 1.5 to 2 gigs.
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

Dr.Disaster wrote:I know that.

AH is not a company like Blizzard that likes to shove people full-DVD-sized packages up their lines while the actual gameplay fits the size of a floppy. LoG 1 did fit a single CD. Even knowing that we'll get more tilesets and monsters (-> more gfx data) for LoG 2 don't expect it to be larger than 1.5 to 2 gigs.
I know, I pre ordered the first game too. Didn't get to play it for a couple days after release. My connection usually maxes out at 150kbps. Usually closer to 10kbps, no joke.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Well then it's about time you get something better. At such low rates even browsing the web becomes a real pain in the rear.
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

Dr.Disaster wrote:Well then it's about time you get something better. At such low rates even browsing the web becomes a real pain in the rear.
I won't argue with that. But 1.5mbps is our max plan out here, which we have but don't usually even get that. The only faster connections are satellite with small data caps.
satoru

Post by satoru »

Steam generally won't do pre-loads unless your game is gigantic with a simultaneous international release like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. They generally don't do pre-loads otherwise. Even a game like Civ5 didn't get one.
Jgwman

Post by Jgwman »

satoru wrote:Steam generally won't do pre-loads unless your game is gigantic with a simultaneous international release like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. They generally don't do pre-loads otherwise. Even a game like Civ5 didn't get one.
That's disappointing but as I expected. Thanks!
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

If you have a friend (or workplace) that has super fast internet, you can go around their house, login to Steam, download the game and then "Export the Game Files" to a USB stick. You can then load them up on any computer with a Steam account that has purchased the game without internet access.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.