[Mod] The Elder of Murwynd Woods - release version 1.05

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: [Mod] The Elder of Murwynd Woods - release version 1.01

Post by minmay »

Isaac wrote:
minmay wrote:Version 1.01 still crashes when I enter that room (no, I did not transfer a 1.00 save).
I did [transfer the save], and it crashed.
As far as I can tell, if it's an entity then its state gets stored in the save file, so changes to script_entity source won't apply if you transfer your save. However, asset definitions get loaded from the dungeon file again, since storing hundreds of megabytes of texture data in every save file would be kind of bad. So I think changes to code in, say, party/monster/item hooks will apply even to transfered saves (it's worked every time I've tried, at least), but most dungeons put the bulk of their code in script entities.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

omg :shock:
I can't reproduce this crash, I've played both the steam and nexus dat's from start to finish a couple of times now and all is just ok.
I even played it from a different computer :?
Can you kindly give me more detail information like.
What platform are you using (PC, Linux or Mac ?)
Where exactly does this happen ? (is it the tile right after the doors with the golden locks, or is it when you step from the hallway into the room ? )
How many characters do you have in your party and who ?
Can you make 100% sure that you are playing 1.01 (I'm sure you are but just to cover the basics, the version number is in the description inside the game)
When you step into the room the following is supposed to happen
SpoilerShow
a script runs that starts a dialog with the goromorgs, it first takes the ordinal of all the champs and start a dialog depending on if everyone is alive etc.
this script is running all over the mod and seems to work fine for you in every other place except this one.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Isaac wrote:
minmay wrote:Version 1.01 still crashes when I enter that room (no, I did not transfer a 1.00 save).
I did [transfer the save], and it crashed. I assumed it would crash if I had started over; glad I didn't ~(yet).
Seems i'm in the same boat.

v1.00 crashes to desktop as does v1.01 when using the same save game.
- PC running Win7 x64
- it happens on both tiles i can use to step into that room
- i have 4 characters: Blake and Clive in front row, Clara and Sultor in back row
- got v1.00 yesterday from steam workshop and played it until the crash without updating in between
- tried v1.01 after seeing the fix announcement but no luck

No idea how to solve or get past this.

In addition there are other but minor issues:
SpoilerShow
- I located the 5 secrets in the ruins, the secret in hunters home and the 5 secrets in the keep but the stat screen still says 10 of 11
- when using the Remove Petrification spell on anything else then it's ment destination, even thin air, the game crashes with this error message:

Code: Select all

mod_assets/sx_story/story_elements.lua:1306: attempt to index global 'sx_alcove_ranger_statue_1' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	mod_assets/sx_story/story_elements.lua:1306: in function 'onCast'
	[string "Spells.lua"]: in function 'castSpell'
	[string "Champion.lua"]: in function 'castSpell'
	[string "AttackPanel.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "AttackPanel.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Gui.lua"]: in function 'draw'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'display'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
edemskicz

Post by edemskicz »

When I activated the teleport (red, blue and green orb) returned me to the gate in front of the "city" where to next? I do not know what to do:-(
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

edemskicz wrote:When I activated the teleport (red, blue and green orb) returned me to the gate in front of the "city" where to next? I do not know what to do:-(
Try other combos.
edemskicz

Post by edemskicz »

So I'm also terminates the LoG, when I enter a room...
Mod ver. 1.01
W7 SP1
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

and the most smooth mod launch of the year awards goes to .......... :D

I've pulled the mod from steam and nexus until I have a fix.
I will also provide a save file right outside the room so people don't need to play it again.

Sorry for the mess

Skuggasveinn.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I'll give it a fresh go with v1.02. Hopefully the CTD cause is stored as leftover in the save game so it'll be alright.
minmay

Post by minmay »

Skuggasveinn wrote:What platform are you using (PC, Linux or Mac ?)
Linux version.
Skuggasveinn wrote:Where exactly does this happen ? (is it the tile right after the doors with the golden locks, or is it when you step from the hallway into the room ? )
When I step onto pressure_plate_hidden_310 or pressure_plate_hidden_311. Are you attempting to destroy these plates as soon as they are stepped on? This is one of the most common crashes I see in mods. You should never destroy plates inside one of their connectors, the game usually needs them to still exist. If you want to destroy a plate when it's triggered, you should always use a 0.001 second timer. Or just use :setTriggeredByParty(false).
Skuggasveinn wrote:How many characters do you have in your party and who ?
Tried with Blake+Sultor+Carla, and also with Clive added.
Skuggasveinn wrote:Can you make 100% sure that you are playing 1.01 (I'm sure you are but just to cover the basics, the version number is in the description inside the game)
Yes, and I started a new game; didn't transfer a save.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Thanks minmay

We have a version that doesn't crash. (1.03 that can't be downloaded yet)
Isaac is through to the end :) and that trouble room has also been tested on OS X by John and it works there, so it's looking good.
Save games will not carry over to this working version, but I will place a save on nexus for people who just want to continue from that spot.

I was destroying the plates in 1.00 but not in 1.01 and forward, it also seems that the portrait of the goromorg in the conversation being triggered was causing trouble, it got redone. The weird thing was that on some machines this was always working fine, maybe it was a Direct-x version mismatch that caused the DDS portrait file to behave badly, and it seems that some machines can handle the destroy better then others.

anyway, this version will be tested more before release again on a couple of machines and different platforms.
Thanks a bunch to Isaac for being willing to mess around with me today ;)