Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind playthrough

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Diarmuid

Re: Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind play

Post by Diarmuid »

Indeed, a wonderful session. Glad you enjoyed my room of course...

All the spell spinners and the whole portal thing is powered by my exsp framework... The problem is that it functions as good as I could get it to given what control we had over the engine, and all detections are done through timers that are frame-rate dependent, so even on super fast machines, but more so on slower ones, the timer can sometimes miss an event like the spell entering a teleporter or hitting a wall. That's why on the top floor sometimes the blob just went straight with no reason, or sometimes you shot a blue portal at a wall and it didn't open while it should have, and then it worked the next time. Sorry, not much we could do apart from putting in tons of safety checks which would have affected framerate beyond acceptable.

A note or two about what's left, just to guide you, nothing should be a spoiler really at this point:

You have 3 swirl keys now, and have 5 possible locks to use them in:

- The Arena
- The 3 treasure rooms which you left to mature and kind of forgot about, and which by now have leveled up to the maximum they could.
- The passage you found leading to the hall of the ages from the endgame area. This one is as a backup if someone didn't figure the gem of ages puzzle, so you don't really need it, but there's some loot too to make it worth even if you already got the topaze key from the hall of ages.

So make your pick, but think about save/reload if you want to try them all.

Also, you don't need to spend ages in the Arena, especially since the balance is still a bit off in the patch you are playing, we adjusted the monster/rewards lists better in subsequent patches. The main interest is the self-challenge to see how far you can get (and it's really really "ok, just one more round and I'll stop" addictive), it's a good source of equipement/xp if you missed some secrets/skipped lower rooms (some you can't get elsewhere), and most of all, it's the only renewable source of food in the dungeon, which is quite important.

In your case, being really near the end with all rooms completed and almost all the best gear, none of this is really critical.

Of course, it's also key if you play to get 100% achievements, of course.

Eager for the ending, your entire playthrough series was a blast to watch, thank you so much.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

So is the next one the end? It's been a great series, and a joy to watch. 8-)
Komag

Post by Komag »

Last part up (1:52)

http://youtu.be/Psu7_dB1KTI

Includes treasure room, Arena, and the final area and exit.

I may do one more where I try to finish up a few more achievements, esp. more Arena
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

All of the videos in sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxkJxhH ... 5ubUbq7BDm

(Will add a new one if there is one.)
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Thanks Isaac for this! And thank you especially Komag for all this... I watched the last one with great pleasure, congratulations on finishing the thing! I hope there is one last one indeed with some little forgotten details.