Question about the Apple/Macintosh Version

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
MstrPBK

Question about the Apple/Macintosh Version

Post by MstrPBK »

I am honestly not trying to be rude. I just do not have the time (or eyesight) to read through 53 screens of Mac related posts to find this answer.

In this day and age when companies says "It runs on Apple or Mac" they sometimes mean that the program runs from a bridge or emulator for windows software on the said computer. My question is simple: Can Legend of Grimrock run on a 'native Apple OS' system?

I like what the game seems to have but I refuse to play the let's get a bridge or emulator game as that seems to be disingenuous to the 'It runs on Apple/Mac ..." marketing tactic.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
Allanius2

Re: Question about the Apple/Macintosh Version

Post by Allanius2 »

While I can't say that the Mac OS X download does work on without a simulator, I can say that I have looked just now at different games listed for sale at Good Old Games (gog.com) and some of the games are listed as Win & Mac and some just Windows. If they were selling a games that one was expected on a Mac to use a simulator, I;m sure they'd all be listed for Win & Mac. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee listed for Legend of Grimrock.
I hope this helps with your purchase decision.
MstrPBK

Post by MstrPBK »

Allanius2: Thank you for your response. With all due respect I think I need a response that is ... a little more definitive.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA
Allanius2

Post by Allanius2 »

No problem. Wish I could have been of more help.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I've clocked up a good 100 hours of Grimrock on my MacBook Pro and it runs a treat. Game was installed via Steam and is a native executable that just runs. No wrappers or virtual machines or anything.

If you've not got a dedicated GPU in your Mac, you'll have to run in low graphics mode but as long as your Mac is fairly recent (last couple of years) it should work a treat. Not sure if the MacBook Air has much gaming oomph though mind you...
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
MstrPBK

Post by MstrPBK »

JohnWordsworth wrote:I've clocked up a good 100 hours of Grimrock on my MacBook Pro and it runs a treat. Game was installed via Steam and is a native executable that just runs. No wrappers or virtual machines or anything.

If you've not got a dedicated GPU in your Mac, you'll have to run in low graphics mode but as long as your Mac is fairly recent (last couple of years) it should work a treat. Not sure if the MacBook Air has much gaming oomph though mind you...
John Wordsworth and all ...

My world lives on a Mac MIni. Yes I realize that the graphics will/may need to be set at a lower resolution (though I find it odd that the gaming industry continues to require this with monitors at 1536 pixels wide ...).

Culturalizm Comment: The phrases "... it runs a treat ...", and "... It should work a treat ... " are new to my eyes (smile) as I may be two generations older than you at 56 years of age. I am presuming what your trying to convey is that the Grimrock Apple/Mac version is working exceptionally well directly with that OS system.

Thank you for your information. I can move forward with a purchase of this program confidently.

Peter Kelley
St. Paul, MN USA

1970's gaming conversation:
Character A: "If it is not nailed down - take it!"
Character B: "The tables and chairs to?!"
Character A: "YES, they're worth something!"
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

MstrPBK wrote:My world lives on a Mac MIni. Yes I realize that the graphics will/may need to be set at a lower resolution (though I find it odd that the gaming industry continues to require this with monitors at 1536 pixels wide ...).
Here the gaming industry has to cope with system makers that do not add worthy graphics hardware. A notebook-grade GPU like the Intel HD Graphics series or AMD/nVidia mobile chip might do for an OS desktop but it's not exactly what i'd use to play FPS-based games on a 1080p or better display.

It might be enough to reduce LoG's advanced gfx options like Shadow and SSAO Quality to get good results.
What i won't do is set the texture options to anything below medium; then better select "Low Rendering" mode.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

While the MacMini doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, if it's a model from the last year or two (with the Intel HD3000/4000+) then it should run fine in 'Low Graphics Settings' (and it still looks pretty good).

Haha - The cultural differences might be because I'm from the UK! I'm 31, so have a fairly decent knowledge of gaming history, but not of the start of video gaming!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

I may be two generations older than you at 56 years of age
You're not the only old person here. I'm almost 52 yrs old and my eyesight was getting worse after 40. I have lens implants and some lasering before I needed reading glasses. I started wearing special computer glasses for a sharper screen and now I need them all the time. For paper reading I use a foldable set. I game on a 27" iMac besides work and every where I try to increase the font size. In sunny daylight my vision is much better than in the evenings where it seems the fonts are smaller. Therefore I try to advocate a scaleable interface for Legend of Grimrock.

Coming back to the topic. A new Mac doesn't mean a better overall experience. it might run the latest games, but a lot also doesn't run on Yosemite OS X 10.10. Especially the older games. It's normal to buy a new setup every 5 years. I replaced my old iMac after 7 years. It wouldn't even run LoG2. With the newer computers I think the performance gap will become smaller and smaller.