[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
thomson

Re: [MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers

Post by thomson »

Dr.Disaster wrote:FYI: Steam just downloaded me an update for this mod, yet it has vanished from the workshop.
You should have enjoyed it while it lasted. :P

Seriously speaking, I think DJ is tweaking it now. I can't access it either.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
djoldgames

Post by djoldgames »

thomson wrote: We have quite a few new features in GIT that are not uploaded to steam/nexus:
- level 3 is complete
- new models for cat eyes socket puzzle
- moving walls puzzle on level 4
- leech in level 1 (by Wallasaurus)
- skeleton with axe on level 2
- some puzzles on level 4

As far as I'm concerned, you could do the update now.
New version is available on steam and nexus. I am sorry for publishing issues with steam, because of some new terms acceptation required...

Screenshots:
SpoilerShow
Skeleton with axe

Cat eyes socket
thomson

Post by thomson »

djoldgames wrote:New version is available on steam and nexus.
Great! The first comments are arriving already. People were really waiting for this.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Komag

Post by Komag »

nice to see life in this promising project! :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Yay! All hope is not lost!
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Grimbold

Post by Grimbold »

Wow, that sparked a flurry of activity. :)

I am working from the git sources. At first I just added the text various inscriptions found on level 4 since they were missing. Now I am working on making a pit object for the dwarven halls for the one of the lever-pit puzzles. This is my first time using blender so things were a bit confusing at first.

Anyhow... I made a small, tileable texture for the pit, then I uv-mapped the pit repeatedly over this texture. This stops the bricks from appearing distorted by being mapped onto a cylinder. If I just used a single map onto the texture, there would be about 3 bricks covering the circumference of the pit, leading to curved bricks. I'm not sure if something like this was done for the sewers pits, so I should check...
SpoilerShow
I am not totally sure how to proceed with the spec and normal maps though... since I have never dealt with them before.
thomson

Post by thomson »

Grimbold wrote:Wow, that sparked a flurry of activity. :)

I am working from the git sources. At first I just added the text various inscriptions found on level 4 since they were missing. Now I am working on making a pit object for the dwarven halls for the one of the lever-pit puzzles. This is my first time using blender so things were a bit confusing at first.
Cool!

Great to see this work going on. Before you invest too much time in it, keep in mind that the wallset for dwarven levels are just a temporary boilerplate. I don't have enough skills for doing a proper wallset, so I just recolored temple wallset to bluish/grayish tones so it more or less matches original.

I think we should make a decision regarding the dvarven wallset. What do you guys think about adapting this one: Nightfall wallset

Here's how it looks colorized:
SpoilerShow
Here's how the original looks like:
SpoilerShow
I've made other screenshots of the EOB originals if you want more comparisons: http://klub.com.pl/grimrock/eob1/ (look at images starting with eob-lv4-)

The question is: do we want to base dwarven model on nightfall wallset or do we want to develop something from scratch? If we pick 'from scratch' option, who is willing to do the work? :)

Picking the right wallset is essential, as all the models need to play well with it. You can't just replace it without huge amount of work on readjusting all wall objects.
Grimbold

Post by Grimbold »

I see. I don't see any benefit in creating it from scratch, and I also don't have the skills to do that. I guess the benefit would be having it match better since the original has walls with non-uniformly sized and shaped stones. It is something that needs to be sorted. It would be better if there were a wallset with non-uniform stones.

Thanks for the screenshots, they are useful.
DJK

Post by DJK »

I hope this project is still alive... if it isn't, you could see this as ground work and try to get Eye done in the grimrock 2 engine... !
MaurineStarkey

Post by MaurineStarkey »

This looks great. I enjoyed seeing my original designs made to fit the Grimrock engine. If you have questions about the development of the game, I can help on the aesthetics. Let me know. I was the lead artist on Eye Of The Beholder III.

I did play Grimrock for a while and all the time was thinking how good it is.

Maurine Starkey