The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Xanathar

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Post by Xanathar »

Complete walkthrough to my room (in the most synthetic way possible).
SpoilerShow
Take goggles, go down, take blue lens, go up.
Take wand, use blue lens, solve nonogram, go in warden room, fight.
Take key from dead monsters, go down, take red lens.
Go up, red nonogram, go down, monsters to fight.
Take key from dead monsters, go down, take green lens.
Go up, green nonogram, go down, monsters to fight.
Done.

Everything else is for secrets.

But basically the core idea is that
SpoilerShow
with every lens combination the room changes and behaves differently.. As you see it differently :)
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

A bugs found by MrMarbod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUaf ... JcA#t=1545

In Aaneton courtroom:
- If you sentence anything else than 3 monsters (4, 2 or less), the judge will attack. The door to the key opens immediately and room contains teleport aswell. This gives the player a chance to just runaway with the key without killing the judge. We should fix it so that Door opens to key only once judge is dead. I watched the video at work, so I can provide fixcode later once I have time to check it out at home (if needed).

-Also he noticed a missing torch holder in courtroom (flying torch) which is likely a room loading bug(?)
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

aaneton wrote:A bugs found by MrMarbod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUaf ... JcA#t=1545

In Aaneton courtroom:
- If you sentence anything else than 3 monsters (4, 2 or less), the judge will attack. The door to the key opens immediately and room contains teleport aswell. This gives the player a chance to just runaway with the key without killing the judge. We should fix it so that Door opens to key only once judge is dead. I watched the video at work, so I can provide fixcode later once I have time to check it out at home (if needed).

-Also he noticed a missing torch holder in courtroom (flying torch) which is likely a room loading bug(?)
The missing holder is prolly a loading bug; never had that in the original release, patch 2 or 3b.

To be honest I never understood the logic behind the judge attacking. AFAIR in the original release it seemed the judge wanted me to become the judge but that could be bad memory.

Overall also the performance of patch 3b somehow changed. Dunno if the new high-render option is the cause; i activated it right on game creation and saved. Right now saving the game with 18 hours in, everything solved and just doing some arena battles for fun can take the game up to 3 seconds to generate+write the save file. Patch 3b savegames are also pretty large with almost 2mb right now. No previous patch or even mod managed to break the 1mb barrier yet. The game itself runs pretty smooth but the zone-ing noteably halts gameplay (1-2 seconds) which was not the case before.
Last edited by Dr.Disaster on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

To be honest I never understood the logic behind the judge attacking. AFAIR in the original release it seemed the judge wanted me to be become the judge but that could be bad memory.
SpoilerShow
There are 3 (four in code) outcomes:
1) You let no-one or 2 or less captives go. Judge attacks you with guards (different dialogue if none served) because he is unsatified with the number guilty sentences served.
2) You sentence the majority of the cases 3/4 guilty (as described in evidence room lawyers handbook) Judge likes that you are going by the book and awards you.
3) You sentence everyone guilty, Judge sees you as bloodthirsty and a threat to him, he attacks you alone. This is where he says: "You are worthy to take my place, if you can defeat me."

original thought was that the "Judge" was just a sadist forcing you to play his sick game killing others (and that you cannot win). The 3/4 "correct solution" was a late addition.
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
boyflea

Post by boyflea »

Xanathar wrote:Complete walkthrough to my room (in the most synthetic way possible).
SpoilerShow
...Everything else is for secrets.

But basically the core idea is that
SpoilerShow
with every lens combination the room changes and behaves differently.. As you see it differently :)
Ok, minmay and Xanathar, I do apologise:
You know when you are earnestly trying to do something right and end up doing it wrong anyway? I have made two big errors with this room, which I feel is a dis-service to the design of it.

1 - mis-interpreting minmay's review which aluded to a solution:
SpoilerShow
I was on this puzzle and could not logically see how minmay had made the leap from what the player could experience to the nonograms.
Admittedly, the purple wand I tried once and the message "The wand does nothing" made me think it needed assembly, for some reason. So I doubt I would have equated the wand with the nonogram puzzle. Even if I were to use it up there, I would have tried to use it to decipher the writing on the wall - but standing in front of a wall would get you the same message. Nothing for me linked the wand to the floor tiles, so was looking at all the other items. As soon as i realised the message really meant "The wand does nothing here" it clicked (that and the answer from minmay of course :) ) This link from wand to floor tile was not obvious but that's why it is a puzzle I guess: being given this wand, the goggles, 7 pages of cryptic diary notes and the mushrooms all at once meant I felt a bit overwhelmed and baffled. What I feared was that there was no in-story link between puzzle and items, and that solving the puzzle was purely a pen-and-paper exercise - so I got on my high-horse to realise actually, there was no horse. Of course it was all linked - so ignore my previous posts on this.
2 - familiarity breeds idiocy:
SpoilerShow
I've seen these goggles before (The Sunset Gate is awesome) and thought they only did what they did in Xanathar's dungeon: ie, open doors. And this I had just done in the corridor leading to the stairs to the nonogram room: to open the portcullis and visit the tombs / fire tunnel. But if I'd never had played The Sunset Gate, then I am very sure I would have properly read the clear description, which explained in great detail what to do. Some fiddling and the blue lens was attached. Now visiting the nonogram puzzle and lo, the numbers appeared - and even without knowing nonograms, the layout of the room made sense suddenly. Even I've done some logic puzzles in my time.
So... in summary:
SpoilerShow
For me, the purple wand is unintuitive to use and would drop one extra hint somehow, perhaps: place it on the first pad in the room or add 'here' to the use text: but TBH I think it's just me and is fine as it is. The goggles still rock and was presuming stuff. I am sorry to demand a solution where if I were more patient I would have given this puzzle it's proper attention.

I obviously cannot trust large rooms full of square pressure pads: far to similar to that lousy room before this one ;)
Am happily playing through this puzzle now, and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks again.
The cube

Post by The cube »

SpoilerShow
wat, where are the goggles? I investigated the room pretty well but didin't find them.
minmay

Post by minmay »

The cube wrote:
SpoilerShow
wat, where are the goggles? I investigated the room pretty well but didin't find them.
SpoilerShow
The glasses are carried by the warden in the room with the altar that has (or had) a skull on it.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Heya! Haven't posted here in awhile now :P

Just wanted to say I heard about this mod in the latest news post and tried it out-

It seems REALLY great so far! I love being able to take notes, and the puzzles seem cool too.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Jack Dandy wrote:Heya! Haven't posted here in awhile now :P

Just wanted to say I heard about this mod in the latest news post and tried it out-

It seems REALLY great so far! I love being able to take notes, and the puzzles seem cool too.
WOW, dude!!! Great to see you...I was wondering what happened to you. Glad to see you're alive and well. :) And also glad you're liking the mod.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Dr. Disaster, can you send me a savegame that's over 2MB? I'll investigate where the leak is. Maybe indeed the HD mode creates additional objects in a table somewhere without cleaning them properly? It has happened before, and the game crashes (refuses to save) when it goes over 3MB approx, so I need to fix that.

Aaneton, I'll check it out, add the door, fix the torchholder (where exactly is it? I missed that in the video) and also the fact you can press sentence buttons after the judge is dead.

I also noted that:
SpoilerShow
when he goes in the condemned area, the death spider on the other side is on guard - he should activate so that he can surprise people from the other side of the pit and give them a scare with a poison bolt
Also, after spiderfighter's room is completed, the timers which control the blob/gate thing are shut down, so he couldn't get to the front pit secret. I really liked the "dead and silent" atmosphere in the room, so I'll just make sure a couple of gates required to travel around are opened when you access the room from the "service" corridor later on