Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind playthrough

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Komag's Let's Play The One Room Round Robin 2 blind playthrough

Post by Komag »

I've started a Let's Play video playthrough (blind), hopefully I'll find time to continue it!

http://youtu.be/JxkJxhHBoUQ
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Isaac

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release & Discussion]

Post by Isaac »

Komag wrote:I've started a Let's Play video playthrough (blind), hopefully I'll find time to continue it!

That's wonderful news! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

There is a patch planned for a few of the minor (and one major!) issues that slipped through into the release.
Diarmuid can give you details about what to avoid pre-patch, until the updated DAT is available.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

That's very cool Komag. Would be great to see how a user experiences the dungeon, and it's going to be particularly interesting watching your play through :).
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

That's so cool Komag, I can't wait to watch it.

I put a "Major known issues" in the first post above. Right now, there's only "don't play toorum" and "don't try 1 specific lever combination in Isaac's room". I've noticed a bunch of minor esthetic issues during my current playthrough (I'm at 16/22 rooms now), an item or 2 which were in the wrong location, but nothing very important.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Great video; fun to watch; I'm looking forward to the next one that you get the chance to make.

Your commentary (and reactions to certain aspects) was also very informative, and good to have. 8-)
aaneton

Post by aaneton »

Komag wrote:I've started a Let's Play video playthrough (blind), hopefully I'll find time to continue it!

Nice! Fun to watch! Can't wait until you get to my other room (that was just a intro room that I added when someone bailed).
SpoilerShow
So you decided to escape with the Cultist, you evil man ;). I'm disappointed you tried to hit prisoners in dining area except the one that will hit back. Also throwing stuff at prisoners will get some reaction :). However there is no way back to starting prison anymore. But there will be other scrolls to find. (I'm not sure even what the scrolls count is, all spells maybe? so there are duplicates)
P.S. You pronounced my (nick)name surprisingly correct!
My Grimrock mod (LoG1): The Onkalo Project
My Android (and windows desktop) game: Balloon Gentleman
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Very cool, Komag! It's fascinating to watch someone work through something you've created. Hopefully, my section didn't break your will to continue. :)

(Unfortunately, I had to watch it with the sound down, as I'm currently in the library with no headphones, but I'll check it out with sound later tonight.)
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

I just finished watching it, it's so much cool, I just can't wait for the next one. :) Thanks for all the little typos in texts, I note everything down for corrections as I watch.

I really don't want to spoil anything for you and let you continue playing it "blind". Here's one or two very very general cues, just so that you don't worry too much:

- Currently, 3 rooms lock you out of them when you *complete* them, without possibility of returning there. The prison is one, the one you're in is another. We are discussing the possibility of changing that in the next patch, to allow secret-hunting players a better chance to come back, as they can miss some. In any case, nothing "essential" to complete the mod is ever out of reach, no matter what you do.

- Because the dungeon is non-linear, and all rooms apart the starting prison are technically optional, all "standard" items are duplicated at least twice, to ensure a decent "equipment" curve no matter which paths you take. Of course, many high-level items have unique locations, but that comes later on.

If you are curious, here is the number (just the number) of secrets in SpiderFighter's room:
SpoilerShow
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Dig for the time, it's worth it! LoG states i clocked 23.5 hours to complete everything and that does NOT include the time i needed to ponder over some puzzles. By skipping tougher and optional rooms you might be able to shave some time off and go with 10 to 15 hours. I'll definately replay it after the fix release!

btw: your video seems pretty dark, it's a bit hard to make out things. Does it match your actual screen? It does not matter too much yet but later in the hub it would be a shame to miss out on it's awesomeness due to darkness.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Dark video: i had this problem with grimrock -> fraps -> youtube workflow. i made a lot of research and found stuff i dont remember about color ranges and color compression. Long story short, i now reencode the video captures with handbrake before uploading them and no compressed low range (blacks) anymore