The One Room Round Robin 2 [PATCH 3b + SOURCES released]

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
minmay

Re: The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release & Discussion]

Post by minmay »

Oh, in that case the problem seems to be the opposite: I'm in Toorum mode and I move too fast to trigger it. If I do it while encumbered, then the room loads when I hit 26, 11, and it also works if I hit the keys slow enough while unencumbered.
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Aha! Now we have the explanation. :)

What happened:

I had done a complete run-through on Toorum mode to make sure it was allright (and I had a lot of fun), but that was earlier in development, when those triggers happened "instantly" in the onMove hook. Later on, we added the delay check because sometimes you could move towards a case occupied by a monster for example, or behind a closed door and activate wrongly a trigger. But we didn't replay it with Toorum again.

I'll find a way to fix this problem in the first patch, don't worry, and thanks for reporting.

Oh and by the way, congrats for being already that far in the mod!
Ryeath_Greystalk

Post by Ryeath_Greystalk »

Congratulations for getting this completed Diarmuid. You must have the tenacity of a bulldog. Just downloaded and made it out of the first room. Looking forward to playing it (although you released it during a week in which I have almost zero free time.)

Once the bugs are finished up will be devoting more time to Dark Dale?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I found a reproducable LoG crash in Issac's room
SpoilerShow
It happens when the smith tries to make Frostbolt enchanted weapons. I tried dagger, hand axe, longsword and katana.
The animation plays correct until the item has to be returned to (=>spawned on) the pedestal, then LoG crashes:

Code: Select all

#Isaac_auto_smith:87: undefined object: hand_axe*_frostbolt
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	[string "ScriptEntity.lua"]: in function 'spawn'
	#Isaac_auto_smith:87: in function '_spawnFinishedItem'
	#Isaac_auto_smith:209: in function <#Isaac_auto_smith:209>
	#orrrManager:2107: in function 'update'
	#hooks:226: in function 'party_onDrawGui'
	mod_assets/scripts/party_hooks.lua:7: in function 'onDrawGui'
	[string "Party.lua"]: in main chunk
	[string "Map.lua"]: in function 'sendMessage'
	[string "GameMode.lua"]: in function 'update'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in function 'display'
	[string "Grimrock.lua"]: in main chunk
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Looks easy to fix; Seems I missed an item in the defined objects. This should be fixed in the first patch.
(And we were just patting our backs that there had been no crash reports. :oops: )
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Aaaah yes. The frostbolt definition is missing, that's very easy to fix indeed. Thanks for reporting it! I've added a "things to avoid" section on the OP for major issues. Somehow in all tests we never tried to enchant that type of weapon...

BTW we have a fun system of scripts which allows to automatically generate all the enchanted objects, you can imagine we didn't clone 200-300 objects by hand just for that smith... ;) You'll see that in the sources.

---------------------------------

Ryeath! Thanks for chiming in! It was a fun project to do with everyone. And thanks to you, we have one of the youngest modders as part of the project :). You can tell Elizabeth her work is now played by more than a 100 people and she has of course her name in the credits...

DarkDale? Oh yes, I can't wait to get back on my project. This mod has delayed things, but I don't regret it obviously! I'll write a post about the orrr2 on my dev blog and give some news, probably on Friday.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I've seen one more minor issue but dunno if it's worth going for. Throughout the mod one can come across special enchanted versions of regular gear, i.e. Longsword +1 or Dagger of Fireburst. For most items this does change nothing. Yet there are also new items around with a combo effect: the Katana + Wakizashi combo.

Now the issue: the combo effect is lost if an item comes along as enchanted version. For example i managed to dig up a Wakizashi +1 or make a Katana of Fireburst. In itself those items work well but the combo effect is gone.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Dr.Disaster wrote:I've seen one more minor issue but dunno if it's worth going for. Throughout the mod one can come across special enchanted versions of regular gear, i.e. Longsword +1 or Dagger of Fireburst. For most items this does change nothing. Yet there are also new items around with a combo effect: the Katana + Wakizashi combo.

Now the issue: the combo effect is lost if an item comes along as enchanted version. For example i managed to dig up a Wakizashi +1 or make a Katana of Fireburst. In itself those items work well but the combo effect is gone.
ah right good catch, easy to fix!
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

1st: a nasty gfx error in the starting room: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =243409476

2nd: i toyed a bit with custom party creation, made me a 3 character party (with the help of "The Characterizer" mod; works similar to "Back to the Dungeon"/"Return to Chaos" party creation) and imported it into ORRR2. Now imagine my surprise when i freed my party and walked out of the prison with 4 characters. So i tried a single character but again i ended up with a full party, 3 of them being unconfigured fighters named "New Prisoner" ...

Upon mod start must be a check if the first character is Toorum. In case he is there the other characters stay disabled otherwise all are enabled. I suggest to add an alternate or second check: if any characters are disabled leave them disabled when freeing the prisoners.
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Dr.Disaster wrote:1st: a nasty gfx error in the starting room: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =243409476

2nd: i toyed a bit with custom party creation, made me a 3 character party (with the help of "The Characterizer" mod; works similar to "Back to the Dungeon"/"Return to Chaos" party creation) and imported it into ORRR2. Now imagine my surprise when i freed my party and walked out of the prison with 4 characters. So i tried a single character but again i ended up with a full party, 3 of them being unconfigured fighters named "New Prisoner" ...

Upon mod start must be a check if the first character is Toorum. In case he is there the other characters stay disabled otherwise all are enabled. I suggest to add an alternate or second check: if any characters are disabled leave them disabled when freeing the prisoners.
Graphic bug... ??? never seen anything like that, no idea what might be causing it. Maybe will found down the road...

Intro and characters: you are right about how Tooum detection currently works, and your suggestion is good, we'll adjust the script.