[mod] DawnTower - The Escape 1.3.6 Final+

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
spectre900

[mod] DawnTower - The Escape 1.3.6 Final+

Post by spectre900 »

DawnTower - The Escape.

Contains:
* 13'ish levels/floors.
* Regular and new modified weapons.
* Lots of puzzles, secrets and challenges.
* A decent number of enemies to slay or avoid.
* Notes to find and read.
* Over 2 hours of gameplay.
* New lock mechanic for better immersion. (vanishing keys just kinda seems silly)

Awesome review by LocalFire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iet_m8U_NxI
(thanks very much for that review, helped me fix a few issues.)

-- Downloads--
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =240315196 1.3.6 Final+

Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/367/? 1.3.6 Final+

Dropbox (direct download): https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvc5ex77kcqfj ... r1.3.5.rar (older)

Latest Version: 1.3.6+

Change log:
1.3.6: ---
* Made some performance fixes.
* Changed/fixed a certain puzzle to be more understandable.
* Reduced difficulty/frustration with the "moving pits floor".
* Tidied up some overlapping clutter and fixed the most major texture flickers.
1.3.5: ---
* Some minor fixes and stuff to prevent getting stuck.
* Some minor changes to the starting area.
1.3.3: ---
* Fixed some cosmetics and changed level names. (if you already run on 1.3.2 you don't really need this version as it is only cosmetic updates).
1.3.2: ---
* Fixed a wall blocking a door.
* Bug fixes and new lock mechanics.
* Some changes to puzzles.
* New end-game areas to explore and rewards to get.
1.1: ---
* Minor spelling and bug fixes on last levels.
1.0: ---
* first release.

Key mod: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6469

Longer intro story that my friend helped me with.
SpoilerShow
There are many myths and legends across the land, passed down through the ages in shadowy whispers in the dark. Among these tales is the legend of a tower. A dark keep hidden away in the mountains. What lies within the tower is unknown, but the legends contain enticing words and stories that call out to adventures to seek out its secrets. Many have sought out this ominous tower and never returned. But adventures from all over still insist on seeking out the Dawn Tower.

A group of adventurers, having heard the tale, decided to head out into the dark mountains where the Dawn Tower was said to reside. After a long journey over dangerous peaks and perilous climbs, the adventurers made it to the tower, but found no entrance. They searched around for days, determined to find the way inside.

One night as they rested, the group was attacked. Dark figures moved through the shadows as they were knocked out one by one. When they awoke, they found themselves imprisoned in a cell. A grotesque, undead guard patrolled outside of the bars. Any form of communication with the creature was in vain. The creature paid them no heed, or perhaps it couldn’t.

Days passed as the group sat in their cell. This placed seemed to be filled with haunts and phantom horrors, strange occurrences and whispers emanating from within the walls, seemingly trying to drive the adventurers to madness. It would appear that this decrepit, damned cell would be their final resting place. Their corpses doomed to spend eternity here.

But just when it seemed any prospect of escape was lost, a slight shimmer of hope would appear to bring their spirits back from pits of despair. They would be given one chance to escape. One chance to grab hold of their own fates again and fight for their very lives…
Credits:
SpoilerShow
Skuggasveinn - for impaled skeleton assets. http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/112/?
Phitt - for the Mine tile set. http://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods/145/?
Last edited by spectre900 on Sun May 25, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 16 times in total.
leewroy

Re: [mod] DawnTower - The Escape

Post by leewroy »

Nexus would be cool ;)
spectre900

Post by spectre900 »

leewroy wrote:Nexus would be cool ;)
Added. =)
kenfusion

Post by kenfusion »

Have started the mod.

A torch a torch my kingdom for a torch! :)

I am stuck at the button door timer thing but it's late will try again tomorrow.

So far so good I like your ambience :)

Have to ask are you DJ funky bacon from EvE?
spectre900

Post by spectre900 »

kenfusion wrote:Have started the mod.

A torch a torch my kingdom for a torch! :)

I am stuck at the button door timer thing but it's late will try again tomorrow.

So far so good I like your ambience :)

Have to ask are you DJ funky bacon from EvE?
Hehe, yeah it's pretty dark during the first half of the game. Gives it a better feeling I think. And good luck with the door puzzle. ^^

Oh, and no, I'm not DJ funky bacon, have heard of him tho. but I'm just a regular funky bacon.

Also I made an update on the mod. Played through it again to make sure things worked and found a small glitch in the later levels. Nothing game breaking but may make things go weird for a little while during a certain part in the game.
leewroy

Re: [mod] DawnTower - The Escape 1.1

Post by leewroy »

Stuck on the first floor
SpoilerShow
found a secret with the whitewood wand in one room, but all others are locked. There is a teleporter behind a door, but seems to need a prison key. On the other side there is a locked door that need an ornate key I think. Can't find any of these
spectre900

Post by spectre900 »

leewroy wrote:Stuck on the first floor
SpoilerShow
found a secret with the whitewood wand in one room, but all others are locked. There is a teleporter behind a door, but seems to need a prison key. On the other side there is a locked door that need an ornate key I think. Can't find any of these
SpoilerShow
Try searching around the storage rooms. Should be a clue on how to get the door open in one of those rooms.
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Oh, yes. I totally missed this one. Thanks :mrgreen:
spectre900

Post by spectre900 »

Just out of curiosity... how far have people managed to get in this, anyone completed it yet?

And uh, any bug reports?

Edit:

Did another playthrough and found another minor bug or two. But so far it's running good. May add some more content on the later levels too, and maybe even a few more levels and do a better ending.

Fixes/changes to come:
SpoilerShow
Fixes:
* after killing the ogre with the trap, doing addition pulls of the lever would yield additional EXP rewards. This will be fixed.
* More spelling and wording fixes.

Other:
* Reworking some rooms and areas of the later levels.
* Adding more (maybe optional) dungeons and areas to actually make you earn the juicy rewards that was previously obtainable in the last levels.
* make a better ending + ending art.
* maybe add multiple endings.
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Dude, I went to a certain point and had to quit playing due lack of time. Same happened to other modules like ORRR2. I´ll resume asap and let you know what's going on, but maybe it will take some time :|