Pit teleportations?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Grimmlicious

Pit teleportations?

Post by Grimmlicious »

I couldn't figure out how to word it specifically, but I'm about an hour and a half into studying the level editor, and I can't seem to find a guide or a solution to make my pitfall traps send the party to the level below. I looked through a couple tutorial videos patiently, but I'm coming up empty. Well, either that or I'm taking everything black and white, and not thinking of anything. Is there a way to do this easily without scripting, or perhaps can I have a link to the source material to teach me how to script it if there isn't a simple solution?
msyblade

Re: Pit teleportations?

Post by msyblade »

Not quite following what you're trying to do, but if you want to teleport from a square under a pit, immediately after the party falls, this should work.

Make a hidden plate where the party will land.
Make a timer set to 0.1 sec's, and connect the plate to the timer.
Connect the timer to activate the teleporter (which you will set to deactivated).

Hope this helps!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Komag

Post by Komag »

exactly, do as he suggests. It needs a delay because the way Grimrock works, a party can fall into a teleporter and it will not teleport them. The party must be standing there on the ground and then the teleporter is activated, hence the need for a tiny delay.
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
BuzzJ

Post by BuzzJ »

I think he is just trying to get regular pit traps to work. Not sure if thats how regular pit traps work but thats what he is asking. Your above method will also work for those purposes I think.
Glew

Post by Glew »

Well, if you just want pit traps to work regularly, (and sorry if I misunderstood you) then you need this:
-the dungeon must have at leas 2 levels (you can add new levels by right-clicking on the list where the levels are shown)
-have a free cell exactly below the pit: so if the coordinates of the pit are: 15, 15, 1, then there must be free space at 15, 15, 2. Coordinates are shown at the lower right corner. The level on the top of the list is the topmost level (so you can't fall from lvl2 to lvl1; only from 1 to 2)

Additionally, if you haven't found this yet: great basic tutorial info is here: http://www.grimrock.net/modding/ Read the "Getting started" part carefully.

If neither this nor the above is what you wanted, please elaborate on the problem. ;)
Grimmlicious

Post by Grimmlicious »

Yeah, sorry for not making that a little more clear. I attempted to make my pitfall traps before I had a second level to have the party fall in to. Thanks for the quick help, I like a nice community :D I've put in about 6 hours straight so far working on this dungeon, so hopefully I can get a very fun and challenging dungeon made before Grimrock 2 comes out. I've been a dungeon master for years, and I've played Neverwinter Nights as a DM Foreman on WoC for as long as I can remember- so hopefully I can get you guys to enjoy this little thing I'm making XD