New dungeon objects/mechanics/traps proposals

Talk about anything related to Legend of Grimrock 2 here.
thomson

New dungeon objects/mechanics/traps proposals

Post by thomson »

This thread is for proposing new objects that can be placed in the dungeon. Once again, just saying that you'd like to see something, because you like it is not enough. Please explain why adding certain objects would expand the gameplay.

Spike traps: We already have floor crates in LOG1. It would be cool if there were spikes suddenly extending from some of them. There could be a new rogue skill - trap detection or disarming. Besides the obvious disadvantage of losing some health, it could also have other mechanics, like keeping the player in place until the spikes retract. For extra challenge, the trap could keep the player in place and not let him even rotate. Not a good thing if you're trying to run away and have an ogre behind your back.

Pillars that rotate: A long time ago, when LOG1 expansion was planned, AH posted this wonderful screenshot. Look at the pillars to the left and right. I immediately thought that it would cool if each segment of that pillar could rotate. There could be secret compartments there or there could by some runes on it and setting up the right combination would open some secret passage.

Guilotine trap: We could have a guilotine trap, similar to what was in Prince of Persia. It would enhance the gameplay a lot, because it could be deadly to the player, but also to the monster as well. This could be a feasible strategy to lure powerful monster into this trap.

Movable objects: Some of the objects in the dungeon should be movable. Phit's mine wallset featured coal cart. It would be great if it could be moved. AH teased us with an egyptian style level with sarcophagus. That sarcophagus should be movable to reveal something behind it. (Speaking of which, I really hope it will be possible to open it up and see what's inside - treasures, stale air, or a mummy).

Chests: Several mods for LOG1 implemented chests. If they are locked, player immediately imagines riches inside. Chest is also a capable concept. You can make them pickup-able. Player can carry them on if he doesn't found a key yet. They are heavy, so there's penalty for carrying them around. Chests could be movable, so they can be pushed sideways to reveal something behind/under. Imagine a story where player finds notes about a treasure hidden in a chest. After a long search he finds a key and there's only a note inside "you used your mind, now it's time to use your muscles". The chest can be pushed sideways to reveal the real treasure underneath it.

Breakable doors: Some door should be breakable, e.g. rotten wooden door or even glass doors. Because it's fun to smash things. See Germanny's DM wallset for example.

Rolling huge ball: If you are not a dedicated Indiana Jones fan, you should leave this forum immediately :) There's a mod for LOG1 that has such a ball. It's awesome, because besides being cool, it also forces the player to move quickly. The ball could either squish/kill or push the player. Or push and hurt a bit if it's a spiked ball. There could be a long corridor with many alcoves (most of them empty, but some with loot) and a rolling ball behind your back. Similar effect could be achieved with a wind simulation. There could be a narrow corridor and a wind blowing that pushes the party towards some danger (cliff or a pit with fire).
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Neikun

Re: New dungeon objects/mechanics/traps proposals

Post by Neikun »

LoG1 was definitely lacking with the trap area with only spell and pit traps.
Chests: Several mods for LOG1 implemented chests. If they are locked, player immediately imagines riches inside. Chest is also a capable concept. You can make them pickup-able. Player can carry them on if he doesn't found a key yet. They are heavy, so there's penalty for carrying them around. Chests could be movable, so they can be pushed sideways to reveal something behind/under. Imagine a story where player finds notes about a treasure hidden in a chest. After a long search he finds a key and there's only a note inside "you used your mind, now it's time to use your muscles". The chest can be pushed sideways to reveal the real treasure underneath it.
Going along with this a bit further, I would like to see more Interactive Objects
What I mean by that is just objects you can click an something happens.
  • Short list of examples:
    Click the chest and it animates open
    Click the sarcophagus and it animates open, (revealing a manner of things like Thomson said. Perhaps even a secret door.)
    Doors that you can click to knock on
    Trap boxes to disable for mechanical traps (I propose either a rogue skill to disarm traps, or maybe a minigame. I think this would be advantageous aside from the puzzle disarming for magical traps for variety reasons.)
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Ciccipicci

Post by Ciccipicci »

I would love to see interactions in traps too, so we can create more custom traps with variety. (IE: ropes that can be connected with spike balls, moving grates, ecc)
sprawler

Post by sprawler »

machine that calculates weight - for example you have big empty water containers any you have to fill them in correct way and place on this machine. Why is this cool? well its always more thinking :) its no juts flips switch up, down and go to exit

Skull towers : smoething like sentry guns fireing with firebolts at party , they rise form the floor and can be destroyed , why use them ? they could be nice circle trap :)

mirrors - at dark harmless , when some source light hits them and then refires at party it burns a lot :D , you can use clothes to cover them or use spells to take off light source nearby :)

puzzle goblin - you can challange him and try to anwser his question for random treasure if you fail , well you dont want to know (better check your pockets) :)
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

The game was released months ago with some of the features requested implemented. Necro is necro :)