[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
dm04

Re: [MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers

Post by dm04 »

well I could create maps and the level controls
but I am not much of a 3d modeller for walsets and monsters
thomson

Post by thomson »

dm04 wrote:well I could create maps and the level controls
but I am not much of a 3d modeller for walsets and monsters
Maps (walls, doors, dungeon objects in general) are already converted from the original. The first 3 levels are almost complete regarding dungeon mechanics: locks can be opened, buttons do what they were supposed to do, plates work etc. We do not have that for levels 4-12. (Level 4 was somewhat started). Feel free to get the source version (link in my signature) and start playing around. If you update something, feel free to send me updated version. I'll check it into the repo.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
dm04

Post by dm04 »

EOB was one of my favorite games, have the retail boxes for PC and amiga still here :)
I will update you about my progress
Grimbold

Post by Grimbold »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I just wanted to say that I have started to develop this mod further. I am working on level 4. My primary skill is programming, although I am still learning the specifics of the Grimrock modding system. So, I just wanted to say hi and also use this as a call to arms of sorts. If anybody else is interested in helping, in whatever capacity they can, that would be great.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Level 4 is interesting, as it contains an overlapping map that leaves the grid in the south, and re-enters it in the north.
thomson

Post by thomson »

Grimbold wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I just wanted to say that I have started to develop this mod further. I am working on level 4. My primary skill is programming, although I am still learning the specifics of the Grimrock modding system. So, I just wanted to say hi and also use this as a call to arms of sorts. If anybody else is interested in helping, in whatever capacity they can, that would be great.
Excellent! Welcome! As for responding to the call of arms, I'm completely booked up with my day job. I have a very aggressive project to deliver by early November. I'm unlikely to contribute anything until then.

On a side note, there's quite a few new features in the GIT version as compared to the versions uploaded to the steam and nexus versions. I know that DJ is very busy, but in case he reads this, uploading a new version would be VERY helpful. I tried to do this myself, but the upload module in grimrock editor does allow me to upload a new version, even though I'm marked as co-author on steam page.
Isaac wrote:Level 4 is interesting, as it contains an overlapping map that leaves the grid in the south, and re-enters it in the north.
I did code invisible, silent teleports that move you around. It is not fluent - player definitely notices that sometihng has changed. So there's definitely area for improvement there.

Isaac, a long time ago you mentioned that you're developing EOB1 recreation on your own. How is it going? I asked you back then if you are interested to join efforts. You weren't at that time. Perhaps you can reconsider? I'm afraid that we may end up with 3 failed attempts (the third one being the one on Steam lead by Nicholas Hadrian, he admitted that his team fallen apart).

There is one guy commenting on Steam that he's involved in 3D models and would like to help (see comment made on Sep. 6th here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=95933537), I tried to reach out to him, but haven't got any response.

In any case, if you start working on something, please mark it as work in progress on this wiki: https://github.com/grimrock/eob1-waterdeep/wiki
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

thomson wrote:Isaac, a long time ago you mentioned that you're developing EOB1 recreation on your own. How is it going?
It's been on hold since I started the ORRR2 mod. I'm trying to decide if I want to finish it for LoG, or convert it to LoG2. I don't have the wall sets done yet, but I don't expect any problems with that; I've done wall-sets before. I do have several EoB levels mapped out, and four of the levels are largely playable ~minus the custom monsters.
I have the spider hallway illusion working acceptably well; (and the spiders can follow you down the hall).
I asked you back then if you are interested to join efforts. You weren't at that time. Perhaps you can reconsider? I'm afraid that we may end up with 3 failed attempts (the third one being the one on Steam lead by Nicholas Hadrian, he admitted that his team fallen apart).
Honestly... I still want to do it myself... but before my ORRR2 participation, I wouldn't have given it fair consideration; now in the middle of the ORRR2, I have to say that this mod has been a good experience, and lot of fun to work on as a group. Perhaps I am no longer so adamantly against not completing the EoB mod solo. But I can't touch any of it until at least November, when I ~presumably will have more time dedicate to it; [seasonal business takes precedence, and I'll be too busy until after Halloween].

I will go over the project file though, and remind myself of where it currently stands; (probably work some more on it), and decide if I'd want to merge the two projects.
I have learned a lot since I was regularly working on the EoB mod, and I think it's not unthinkable that I might decide to start over with it fresh, and do things a bit differently with it [perhaps cleaner]. If I decide to do that, then there is no need to merge anything, I'd be re-building it from scratch. [Meaning why not work on this thread's mod instead.]
djoldgames

Post by djoldgames »

Hello!
Nice to see new people here ;-) You are welcome and feel free to contribute to this project. As thomson points, please read our wiki.
Dont't worry, I'm still alive (but very busy) and read new posts in this thread. For now Thomson is in charge here, in wiki and guthub mod repository.

I am able to make and upload new version, when we have some new stuff in the GIT version. If you've anything new, please write post here (screenshots will be fine).

Thomson thank you for keeping this project alive, and for occasional ping to me too :-).
thomson

Post by thomson »

djoldgames wrote:I am able to make and upload new version, when we have some new stuff in the GIT version. If you've anything new, please write post here (screenshots will be fine).
We have quite a few new features in GIT that are not uploaded to steam/nexus:
- level 3 is complete
- new models for cat eyes socket puzzle
- moving walls puzzle on level 4
- leech in level 1 (by Wallasaurus)
- skeleton with axe on level 2
- some puzzles on level 4

As far as I'm concerned, you could do the update now.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

FYI: Steam just downloaded me an update for this mod, yet it has vanished from the workshop.
Steam tells me the object was either marked hidden or i have no permission to access it.