[MOD]Paths of the Earth

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Jaberwoke

Re: Paths of the Earth

Post by Jaberwoke »

LocalFire wrote:
Jaberwoke wrote:Has anyone
SpoilerShow
managed to open that door right at the start. Looks like stairs the other side.
It's just there for effect, leads up to the main part of the college of shadowmere, I put it in just as a way to explain how the party got down there
This should help in the secret search ignore it if you'd rather find them yourself, its a list of how many secrets are on each floor
SpoilerShow
Lvl 1: 3 secrets + Beast Chamber
Lvl 2: 7 secrets + Treasury
Lvl 3: 4 secrets + Champions run
Lvl 4: 4 secrets + Scribes challenge + Restricted Section
Lvl 5: 3 secrets + Artificers Trial + Elementalists Ritual
Lvl 6: 4 secrets + Champions hall + Lovers gift
Lvl 10: 1 secret
Oh man, I spent ages trying to find how that door opened. I didn't think that it was how I got there doh.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Finished it in 10:15 using the default LoG party. I found 29/35 secrets, all treasures .. and 16(!!) skulls adding 48 attack power to a Headhunter.

Naturally Mork's damage output went thru the roof with them. At lvl 13 with 42 in Axes Mork deals 114 damage with Sunderer. As comparison: Contar Stoneskull has 40 in Swords, the same Strength as Mork (both 26) and deals 57 damage which Mork does without a weapon!

The mod is overall nice with both combat and puzzle difficulty being above average. Yet it could use some polish. There are several wall/floor flickers in the beginning. Activating/opening sequences for Cartographers, Mage/Warrior path and others appear somewhat jammed: several times i had the right combination but to make things happen i had to re-move and re-place an item again. One secret on level 4 keeps awarding 100 exp everytime the party steps in it. Two pits on level 7 end up outside the lvl 8 corridors (SW quadrant). The end sequence rushes ahead after "press any key", prevents reading it.

Now some questions.
- Scribe's Challenge: The "champions prize" requested there, i hope it's not the Champion's Token because i already used up both i had.
- rune etched flask: discovered one recipe for them, causing a combo heal effect. Once the potion is used the rune flasks turn into normal ones. Are any other recipes possible with the rune flasks?

On Secrets: i found all the named areas but still miss six which prolly included the secret level.
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

The desert pearls in the alchemy lab will enhance complete restorative potions, including the arcane potion, I've changed the emptyItem on the arcane potion to rune_flask item, but it still only gives the basic flask

Yes it is the champion token, for that puzzle and I am aware of the skull problem, removed a bunch in an update, the pit thing should be fixed now too
My Dungeons
Paths of the Earth: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5136
Beneath the Sands: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5216
Videos: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5443
Ryeath_Greystalk

Post by Ryeath_Greystalk »

Finished it tonight.

5 hrs 43 min, 14 / 35 secrets 4/4 treasures.

My sentiments pretty much mirror Dr. Disaster

At the begining the mix up of tectures was causing some strange texture flickers and clipping. I had to do the cartographer puzzle a couple times before it took effect.

The mod definitley got better as it went along. I had a hard time trying to figure out the clues, thus my low score in secrets, and I never figured out the recipe for the runed flask so I ended up just throwing them away.

I did really enjoy level 7, the layout on that was really nice, very challenging.

And as Dr. Disaster said you should go back ad fix your outro file so people can read it (just add the click() function between screen changes).

Over all it was fun mixed with a few frustrations and it really showed how you have improved from the begining to the end.

May play it again someday but right now I have about 25 mods on my list to play as well as working on my own.
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

No problem, I'll look into making these fixes, I updated my steam version recently but just realized I left my nexus version (doh!)

It gets better as it goes because this is the first mod I've ever made, so as my skills increased so did it.

I'll go back over the early levels and polish them and the outro of course
My Dungeons
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

Just updated the steam version and the nexus version. Fixed the texture thing and outro, changed the layout of Lvl 1 and added monsters, items and decorations. Also fixed the cartographer puzzle to accept the correct answer even if there are other items in the alcoves and the Heart/mind puzzle now checks the combination each time a torch is added or removed, rather than just when they are added.

Also the rune flask recipe is: Rune Flask+tar bead+Blooddrop blossom= Arcane Potion (health and energy restore) and the desert pearl ingredients found in the mage labs will enhance basic restorative potions if mixed with a complete potion
My Dungeons
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Hey dude. Finished your module yesterday. It was cool. I found 3/4 treasure but only 19/35 treasures. I like the puzzles you conceived and I´m willing to try the new module asap.
SpoilerShow
The thing I didn't like was the scrolls. Too much reading to solve puzzles that you can solve by tries, like that path in a room with many items on the ground. I´m not telling that isn't cool to spred the clues this way, but sometimes I was overload of scrolls :shock:
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

I can see what you mean, I hadn't really thought of that since I tend to ditch scrolls once I've read them, and I did cram in quite a bit of lore.

I'll see about adding a disclaimer to each scroll to tell the player if its important or just lore
My Dungeons
Lightangels

Post by Lightangels »

Hello, great mod so far !

But i'm very stuck, i'm on the Mage mind/warrior heart puzzle, i did it with the torches, Mage and warrior, killed the two monsters, but nothings happens after ???

No secret button and the door wont open.

Help me please i love this mod :(

EDIT: Problem solved, i didint notice you make a guide on youtube, BUT i'm stuck, cause after that i don't know what i'm supossed to do ?

So i cleaned harcheck quarters and now what ? i don't know where i need to go, where is the hall of champions ?

I have 2 ornate keys and one green gems on me i don't use, and I didont find how open the door who need a "burning flesh" key, and didnt found the potion for the rituals of the atlar. (The one who say it's slice dimension)

Help please :(
LocalFire

Post by LocalFire »

ok so it sounds like you are stuck in the labs? you need to head down to the next level the stairs are in the top right corner of the map, the champions hall is in the middle left of the next floor. to progress from there you just a key from a room on the right middle room. here is the video for that section https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVdkjXF ... dbF-9KDKoG

the slice the dimensions is the ritual blade

the clue for that door is actually "burning fletch" so it opens for a flaming arrow, the green gem does nothing.
My Dungeons