What does this mean? (D3DError)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Conchron

Re: What does this mean? (D3DError)

Post by Conchron »

msyblade wrote:d3d error doesnt fit because he wouldnt even make it far enough to place the sandal. And you cannot reproduce the error, so it is on his side.
I managed to push my husband into installing it on his old laptop and it doesn't crash there either. I'm just going to write it off as the problem being on the testers side and try to find a new tester.
Alcator

Post by Alcator »

Still, Almost Human might be interested in getting dxdiag report (dxdiag is a program in everybody's windows, and it can produce and export a report about the computer) and the crash error message. Not saying they will fix it, but it might be theoretically useful for them to look at it.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Alcator wrote:Still, Almost Human might be interested in getting dxdiag report (dxdiag is a program in everybody's windows, and it can produce and export a report about the computer) and the crash error message. Not saying they will fix it, but it might be theoretically useful for them to look at it.
A crash that can't be reproduced is nothing AH has to care about. The tester himself needs to fix a problem on his system. There is nothing fancy about placing an item in an alcove to activate something like a teleporter.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

That's a really strange error - usually you will get Direct3D errors when the first time it tries to do something, but not later down the line.

It might be worth having them (a) turn off anything that might be injecting into DirectX forcefully - like FRAPS or any other screen capture / FPS solution, (b) have them re-install DirectX 9 from the internet (it should fix any broken files) and/or (c) I know it's been mentioned, but they might also want to upgrade their GFX card drivers from the provider instead of through their laptop provider, often the Intel drivers especially for the HDXXXX on CPU GPUs will go far ahead of what a company like Dell will bother upgrading to on a 1-2 year old laptop.

Otherwise - It's incredibly unlikely that this is anything to do with your mod. Just an unfortunate timing. If the sandals you are referring to use a custom asset, then I guess there is a tiny, tiny, tiny chance that your asset is corrupted and it's confusing DirectX - but I very much doubt it, especially as it's only happening to one person.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
AdrTru

Post by AdrTru »

I wos worked in grimrock on my work notebook, but today IT instaled me extended RAM from 2G to 3G on XP without any change with software.
I having D3D error now.
(D3DError - CreateCubeTexture failed: D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY)
-> check minimum system requirements :) My system is better now!
My LOG2 projects: virtual money, Forge recipes, liquid potions and
MultiAlcoveManager, Toolbox, Graphic text,
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

AdrTru wrote:I wos worked in grimrock on my work notebook, but today IT instaled me extended RAM from 2G to 3G on XP without any change with software.
I having D3D error now.
I recall i could force exactly this error in LoG 1.3.1 under WinXP with my old GeForce 7600GT which has 256 MB memory.
I had to do multiple switches between high and low rendering to see that crash. After LoG was updated to 1.3.6 those crashes were gone.

What's your graphics card and LoG version in use?
AdrTru

Post by AdrTru »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
AdrTru wrote:I wos worked in grimrock on my work notebook, but today IT instaled me extended RAM from 2G to 3G on XP without any change with software.
I having D3D error now.
I recall i could force exactly this error in LoG 1.3.1 under WinXP with my old GeForce 7600GT which has 256 MB memory.
I had to do multiple switches between high and low rendering to see that crash. After LoG was updated to 1.3.6 those crashes were gone.

My Grimrock is updated to 1.3.7 and I tested 1.3.6 too.
Grafic card is Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family - GMA X4500HD - 128MB
I know that there Grafic card not good, but for working with dungeon editor and making/testing scripts it wos usefull.
My LOG2 projects: virtual money, Forge recipes, liquid potions and
MultiAlcoveManager, Toolbox, Graphic text,
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

AdrTru wrote:
Dr.Disaster wrote:
I having D3D error now.

My Grimrock is updated to 1.3.7 and I tested 1.3.6 too.
Grafic card is Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family - GMA X4500HD - 128MB
I know that there Grafic card not good, but for working with dungeon editor and making/testing scripts it wos usefull.
Err .. that's no graphics card! That's an onboard chip using shared system memory as video memory. 128 MB is actually pretty low, this chip can make use of up to three times as much. Try assigning more memory to it, usually done in BIOS.